This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82990 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 am
jdbakervt wrote:I had the same problem and using the speedtest, discovered a very poor jitter rate. When I rebooted everything it was fine again. The culprit turned out to be a P2P program that even when it was not uploading or downloading anything, severely degraded the jitter rate just by being booted up. So my advice is try it without any other software running, even if you think that software shouldn't be using bandwidth, sometimes they "reserve" it, just by running in the background. This includes anything that streams, auto-updaters, or file download or uploaders, even if they seem to be in idle mode.

jdbakervt: Thanks for the information. In this forum every little bit of information will often help all of us.
#82993 by pr1apism
Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:15 am
Thanks for all the input Thunderbird...

I can update the following after back-to-back con-calls this morning. This is after I made the Qos Changes last night. I do still have significant delay. Which makes the service unusable. I constantly talk over people because they start talking during my delay by the time they hear me I'm talking on top of them. Which makes me seem like a tool.

I'm willing to put in the time and try everything because 1. I've already made the investment in the service and have a full year of premium service, and 2. I really like the feature set, product, interfaces of the product. So I very much want it to work.

The one disappointing thing is this is far more work tinkering then most VoIP providers would require to deploy a working solution. I think most would agree, however, again. I am a fan of what this "could" be, so I will put in the time, and update if I see improved results.
#83012 by EA PA
Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:56 pm
pr1apism wrote:Anyone else having issues with the 909.390.0003 echo test number?

Tried it last night with no echo, tried it just now - essentially same... sometimes I hear a little something but nothing recordable.

Yes!! Based on your post, I tried tonight - no loopback. The link that Tomcat provides, indicates that there is some testing / experimenting going on. Thanks for posting.
#84453 by domiane1
Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:37 pm
Ditto, tried all suggested QOS configurations, and even switched to a NEW, FASTER, INTERNET PROVIDER. In my opinion, it's no co-incidence that one year after I bought the device with the hope of having "free" phone service after paying it off, it stops working! Again, PERFECT quality before a few months ago. I've been recommending this service to friends and family. The device is either pre-programmed to die after a year, or too many new customers are overwhelming the hardware, or some firmware upgrade was released to cause this issue. Solution please Ooma, the last thing I want to resort to is a landline! Don't make me do it!
#84456 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:33 pm
domiane1 wrote:Ditto, tried all suggested QOS configurations, and even switched to a NEW, FASTER, INTERNET PROVIDER. In my opinion, it's no co-incidence that one year after I bought the device with the hope of having "free" phone service after paying it off, it stops working! Again, PERFECT quality before a few months ago. I've been recommending this service to friends and family. The device is either pre-programmed to die after a year, or too many new customers are overwhelming the hardware, or some firmware upgrade was released to cause this issue. Solution please Ooma, the last thing I want to resort to is a landline! Don't make me do it!

What is the problem that you are having?

Did you try this:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Have you checked to see of the new Ooma Telo Firmware Update 47785 has been Pushed out you yet. It was to start this week and one person has reported receiving it today. It will be instresting to see if the newest Ooma Telo Firmware update will help your problem.
#84578 by pr1apism
Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:50 am
I wanted to post an update. I seem to be out of the fire here, after a couple weeks of one on one calls and multiple conference calls. I perceive no delay or quality issues with my ooma. I had one conference call that was an anomaly but that was probably due to cell users from the road, not something I can pin on ooma with confidence.

So what did I do to get there and what fixed it?

Well, A number of things "may" have helped, I'll tell you what I did.

First I got pissed off and opened up a ticket with ooma support - got, what is probably a standard first pass reply and that was the suggestion to change the advanced QoS settings in the ooma device to 0. Essentially disabling the QoS "feature".
-- My initial experience after this change was bad, actually had a robot voice deal for the first (and only) time. All calls still had a delay issue which made the service unusable.

--- Now at this point my ooma was no longer prioritizing its voice traffic out to the internet, so there was really no advantage to having it directly on the internet, and I was having to do the hold DMZ thing to get inbound traffic that I was static natting into my router. I also had to enable Nat-Traversal for the VPN I have running on my router, as it was going through the NAT on the ooma. It was all around less ideal then I would have liked. So I decided to change the configuration from CABLE MODEM<->OOMA<->Router To CABLE MODEM<->Router<->OOMA.

So a number of changes take place at the same time. Because of the way I have my VPN setup I wanted to change my networks IP scheme as well, so all inside addresses were changing (to be something more obscure this way in a hotel their IP scheme is less likely to conflict with my home IP scheme - important when I am using my VPN). Additionally as I move things my ISP ended up providing me with a new WAN IP address. I also have a phone system that was in play, and I changed the IP phone that hangs off of it into its own VLAN, and enabled end-to-end QoS for the VLAN on my internal network. My phone system was never the issue with the delay, I tested with an analog phone when issues were occurring.

So the summary:
- 0/0 on advanced QoS settings in ooma telo
- ooma telo sits behind router and is not in charge of doing NAT or any other WAN processing (I have no exposure to the utilization numbers on the ooma, but maybe the extra burden of NAT,QoS etc was too much for it?? Doesn't take a ton to do those things but maybe)
- Renew IP address with Comcast (I wouldn't think this would change a thing but Thunderbird had said that it made a difference for him once while traveling so I mention it.)

Last thing: ooma support was slow to respond - first suggestion was turn off QoS, still bad, they tell me they will escalate to the next level. The next level was very slow (like over a week) to respond and the suggestion was to eliminate the home wiring and put a phone directly on the back of the telo. I never responded, that suggestion is ludicrous, I get eliminating other potential sources of a problem, but a delay issue is not going to come from a faulty tip and ring pair sending an analog signal. Delay would come from the IP side.

Anyway, that was my ordeal, I seem to be OK now. Will post with rage in my veins if something was to go negative, but I would suggest not screwing with the QoS settings - leave them at 0, seems to cause more issues then it resolves.