This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82554 by thunderbird
Tue May 31, 2011 8:45 pm
howardc64 wrote:Add me to the list. Nothings changed but quality went down significantly in the last couple of months after a few months of perfect usage. My setup is DSL Modem->HUB->OOMA and Using DECT 6 wireless phones. speedtest shows 2Mbit down/600k up. Google chat phone call quality is perfect.

Here is the speedtest.phonepower.com results.

http://speedtest.phonepower.com/myspeed ... t?id=73977

Problems seems worse in the evenings than during day time.
The connection to the Internet or modem is causing problems for you.
I'd guess it's the Internet provider.

Look at this from your test, Downstream jitter 53.0 ms, very, very bad. Should be 5ms or less.

After you run http://www.speedtest.net/, you will see a "Rate Your ISP" box. Inside that box will be IP address that was assigned to you from your Internet provider. Write down that IP address.
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ and note the readings.
Reboot the Modem & Hub.
Run http://www.speedtest.net/ again and make sure that the “Rate Your ISP" box, IP address that was assigned to you from your Internet provider has changed. Write down that address.
Run again http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ and note if reading improved.

When I was in China along with our Ooma Telo, I had to do the above procedure over and over until I connected with a satisfactory DSL IP address issued by the Internet provider. Sometimes I had to do the procedure up to twenty times. But once I connected to a satisfactory IP address, the Ooma Telo could make calls loud and clear without delay, to the USA or to the USA and back to a Chinese phone.

Try the above procedure and let me know it helps.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#82764 by freezejeans
Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:25 pm
Yep, same here. Nothing's changed on my end, yet calls are so unusable that I've had to switch to the cell phone...and there was NO other network activity going on at the time.

What's going on, OOMA? There is definitely a problem here that we're all experiencing.
#82770 by thunderbird
Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:42 pm
freezejeans wrote:Yep, same here. Nothing's changed on my end, yet calls are so unusable that I've had to switch to the cell phone...and there was NO other network activity going on at the time.

What's going on, OOMA? There is definitely a problem here that we're all experiencing.

How is your Ooma device connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
#82825 by jamgold
Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:28 pm
thunderbird wrote:If the connection is Modem-Ooma-Router, I would try setting the setting Ooma Setup, Advanced page, Quality of Service, Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed to a number higher than the highest upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/

thank you, this seemed to make a difference for me.
#82827 by stusf
Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:30 pm
I'm experiencing the same problems too in the past few days. It's worked flawlessly for the past year, in both the US and from Australia. The past couple of days I've consistently been getting garbled robotic voice and have to hang-up and dial-in again. Something has definitely changed / gone wrong recently.
#82828 by thunderbird
Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:45 pm
stusf wrote: I’m experiencing the same problems too in the past few days. It's worked flawlessly for the past year, in both the US and from Australia. The past couple of days I've consistently been getting garbled robotic voice and have to hang-up and dial-in again. Something has definitely changed / gone wrong recently.

This change that you talk about seems to have happened after the latest firmware update.

There are three configurations that seems to help. If one doesn't help, try the next:

The following step has been working for both Modem-Ooma-Router and Modem-Router-Ooma connections for some people:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update.

This helps some people:
If the connection is Modem-Ooma-Router, try setting the setting Ooma Setup, Advanced page, Quality of Service, Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed to a number higher than the highest upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/

Others are finding that if the connection is Modem-Ooma-Router, setting the settings in Ooma Setup, Advanced page, Quality of Service, Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed download speeds, to 90% of upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/

Then test making and receiving calls.
#82905 by Big0range
Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:22 pm
Count me in with the recent inbound voice problem as well. I've had the service for the past year-and-a-half with no issues; today I've suddenly got inbound call quality issues. Outbound voice quality is perfect. In reviewing the posts, I think it's worth asking if many people from around the country using several different IPs suddenly have provider issues, or if this odd coincidence with the latest Ooma firmware upgrade (45073) requiring fiddling with the upstream and downstream settings is more than a coincidence.

Ooma, please find the issue in your firmware update and patch it.

My stats, cable @ primetime usage hours:
Download Speed: 3.15 Mbs
Upload Seed: 4.00 Mbs
Download Consistency of Service 37%
Upload Consistency of Service 94%
Maximum TCP Delay 461 ms
Jitter you server 5.8 ms
Jitter server you 4.9 ms
Packet loss: you server 0%
Packet loss: server you 2.2%
Packet discards .2%
#82910 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm
Big0range wrote:Count me in with the recent inbound voice problem as well. I've had the service for the past year-and-a-half with no issues; today I've suddenly got inbound call quality issues. Outbound voice quality is perfect. In reviewing the posts, I think it's worth asking if many people from around the country using several different IPs suddenly have provider issues, or if this odd coincidence with the latest Ooma firmware upgrade (45073) requiring fiddling with the upstream and downstream settings is more than a coincidence.

Ooma, please find the issue in your firmware update and patch it.

My stats, cable @ primetime usage hours:
Download Speed: 3.15 Mbs.......................Download speed is always higher then upload speed?
Upload Seed: 4.00 Mbs
Download Consistency of Service 37%...........Should be about 80% or higher.
Upload Consistency of Service 94%
Maximum TCP Delay 461 ms.....................Should be 100 ms or less.
Jitter you server 5.8 ms.........................Should be less than 5 ms.
Jitter server you 4.9 ms
Packet loss: you server 0%
Packet loss: server you 2.2%....................Should be zero.
Packet discards .2%..............................should be zero.

Above I've typed in problem areas that will cause Ooma voice quality issues.

Upload speed is higher than your download speed. But with a normal Internet connection the download speed is always higher. Maximum TCP Delay is very high. Packet loss and discards should be zero.

Something is going on with your Modem or Internet service.

The first place to look is at your Modem.
What is the brand and model number of your Modem?

Does your modem have a reset button on the back, that you can push and reset the modem?
If so do that.

Note: Some Modem contains a battery that must be removed to be able to do a full Cold reboot of the Modem. Reboot means removing power for about five minutes. Then repowering the Modem.

Sometimes just rebooting the Modem will give you a different dynamic IP address issued by your Internet provider and that will help. Test again, at primetime usage hours:, after a Modem reboot, with http://speedtest.phonepower.com/. Some times you have to do this several times to get a good IP address issued from your Internet provider.

If it is a cable Internet service, sometimes the wiring from the street into the house to the Modem is defective?

How is your Ooma setup, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Adjusting your Ooma Quality of Service setting may help, but it won't cure the problem.
#82912 by pr1apism
Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 pm
I wonder if the call quality issues that have been documented on this forum are a result of ooma's growth. The ooma service was recently (in the last couple of months) touted as the highest rated VoIP service in the land in Consumer Reports. This is why I am here, and why I am now an ooma user.

If the quality issues are within the last couple of months I wonder if they have seen a large spike in users to the point their backend equipment struggles.

It shouldn't really matter if my packets traverse the internet - none of that is ooma specific. What is specific is how many hops I have to take on the packet switched network before I get to ooma equipment that'll put me on the circuit switched network.

I might try some testing when I get some time, My delay has been a major annoyance - measuring 750ms on the echo line found in this forum. Real usage I talk on top of folks on conference calls because of the delay, and get those awkward pauses as we each try to see who will speak. I've resorted to using my cell phone via the ooma blue-tooth adapter. A call today did have some robot voice break-ups, that's the first time I've noticed that, its normally just the annoying delay.

Hopefully this is something that will iron itself out, right now this highest rated service is far worse then the Vonage I had for years and the Comcast I had for the last year.

I'll test when I get a time to play with it more and post results.