This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81462 by demaximis
Sun May 15, 2011 9:27 am
It looks like I am having the same issue that many others have reported relating to a recent and dramatic loss in call quality, without any changes in OOMA setup. My Telo went from perfection to almost unusable in that incoming voices are metallic and scrambled.

Before even posting, I tried every fix I could find. My OOMA is connected: Comcast Cable Modem>Router>Telo, and my router is a Netgear WNDR3700. The MAC on the OOMA is set to built in, and I originally had the modem set up with QoS to give the OOMA MAC highest priority.

*****When this did not work, I even tried putting the OOMA's static IP address in the DMZ. This did not work either. I reset my modem to factory defaults, power-cycled the modem, router, and OOMA, and still no love.****

speedtest.phonepower.com yielded the following:

Speed test statistics

Download speed: 6948 kbps
Upload speed: 1778 kbps
Download consistency of service: 42%
Upload consistency of service: 15%
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 65 ms
Average download pause 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 66 ms
Average round trip time to server: 68 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000 kbps
Route concurrency: 3.4538338
Download TCP forced idle: 69 %
Maximum route speed: 7943 kbps

VoIP Statistics

Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.8 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.2

Download speed tests all confirm expected speeds. I feel like I have tried everything I have read online, and am running out of options. While I am very curious to know "what changed" in the last couple of weeks, I'm more interested to know how to fix it. At this rate, I will have to move back to POTS, which I do not want to do, but the current level of service is not acceptable (or usable).

Please help.

Demaximis
#81465 by Cyberchat
Sun May 15, 2011 9:46 am
We've had the OOMA Telo device installed for about a year now. Call quality and the reliability of service has been excellent.

We chose to install the OOMA Telo device "between our Internet Service modem and our Router for our LAN. This is the installation approach recommended by OOMA because it allows the OOMA Telo device to priortize packets for VOIP (voice over IP) at a higher level than other LAN traffic when necessary to maintain call quality. We do a lot of streaming of TV content (Netflix) as well as other high-bandwidth activities but because the OOMA Telo device can prioritize the traffic we haven't experienced any poor call quality in spite of our other high-bandwidth consuming activities.
#81467 by demaximis
Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 am
Cyberchat wrote:We've had the OOMA Telo device installed for about a year now. Call quality and the reliability of service has been excellent.

We chose to install the OOMA Telo device "between our Internet Service modem and our Router for our LAN. This is the installation approach recommended by OOMA because it allows the OOMA Telo device to priortize packets for VOIP (voice over IP) at a higher level than other LAN traffic when necessary to maintain call quality. We do a lot of streaming of TV content (Netflix) as well as other high-bandwidth activities but because the OOMA Telo device can prioritize the traffic we haven't experienced any poor call quality in spite of our other high-bandwidth consuming activities.

Thank you, but I know how to use the QoS function of my router (the same limited functionality that you refer to in your post that the OOMA has), and had it set up properly to prioritize traffic. OOMA's recommended installation avoids requiring consumers to understand how to set this up, making it easier for OOMA -- which is fine. As stated in the original post, my QoS setup worked fine until recently, when call quality dropped significantly. Now, even putting the OOMA in the DMZ hasn't help. Still sounds like every call is coming in from Mr. Roboto.
#81468 by demaximis
Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 am
lbmofo wrote:When you do more tests, do you see packet loss consistently? Download packet loss means you'd have some incoming voice quality issues.

The packet loss is not constant, and doesn't really show up a lot. Just re-tested, and got:

Speed test statistics

Download speed: 22044 kbps
Upload speed: 2098 kbps
Download consistency of service: 94%
Upload consistency of service: 63%
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 34 ms
Average download pause 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 67 ms
Average round trip time to server: 67 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.0887067
Download TCP forced idle: 68 %
Maximum route speed: --

VoIP Statistics

Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2
#81470 by Cyberchat
Sun May 15, 2011 10:12 am
What I was suggesting was to not rely on a router's QoS functionality to ensure the OOMA VOIP traffic reliably gets the priortization of packets it needs to perform with quality. By placing the OOMA Telo between the modem and the router then the OOMA device is in control.

You might want to do some checking on how reliable the QoS service is within the Netgear WNDR3700. I did a quick google search and picked up some indications that some people have been getting inconsistent and unpredictable results.

Here's a link into Netgear's forum, for example:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=57094
#81471 by demaximis
Sun May 15, 2011 10:38 am
Cyberchat wrote:What I was suggesting was to not rely on a router's QoS functionality to ensure the OOMA VOIP traffic reliably gets the priortization of packets it needs to perform with quality. By placing the OOMA Telo between the modem and the router then the OOMA device is in control.

You might want to do some checking on how reliable the QoS service is within the Netgear WNDR3700. I did a quick google search and picked up some indications that some people have been getting inconsistent and unpredictable results.

Here's a link into Netgear's forum, for example:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=57094

Thank you. I have never had any problems with the router's QoS. It actually worked quite well for the first year that I owned the OOMA. The problem is that the OOMA is no longer working reliably -- suddenly, and for no apparent reason that I can tell. The QoS has not changed. I do not believe that is the problem, given my circumstances.
#81478 by okooma
Sun May 15, 2011 11:18 am
I just recently started to have dropped calls as well. I have my Ooma Telo behind my router and am configuring as recommened here. Also, I set up my Ooma device as priority in my router's QOS but had a question on which MAC Address to put in my router. I have the option of MAC Address Home and MAC Address Internet. I selected Internet but had a dropped call yesterday. Maybe try Home (which is what tech support suggested if Internet address does not work). Wondering which one I should select? Of course, I have my computer hooked up to Ooma Telo to login to setup and then disconnect once I am done checking setup page. Yes, I know I can do Port Forwarding for this but that is my next step.
#81479 by thunderbird
Sun May 15, 2011 11:37 am
It seems like the Netgear WNDR3700 and some of the other Netgear routers are in a little different catagory when used with the Ooma devices. Many posts are out there in this forum that may help.

Do a seach for the Netgear WNDR3700 from the Board Index page.

See one of the more recent topics.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10351&p=75784&hilit=Netgear+WNDR3700#p75784
#81495 by demaximis
Sun May 15, 2011 5:05 pm
thunderbird wrote:It seems like the Netgear WNDR3700 and some of the other Netgear routers are in a little different catagory when used with the Ooma devices. Many posts are out there in this forum that may help.

Do a seach for the Netgear WNDR3700 from the Board Index page.

See one of the more recent topics.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10351&p=75784&hilit=Netgear+WNDR3700#p75784

Thanks - I've reviewed most of those posts, and I always had my QoS set up in a similar manner to the one you referred me to. However, suddenly things are not so good anymore in OOMA-world, and the wife is not happy. For almost a year, my settings worked flawlessly. Then, a couple of weeks ago, every call sounds like the robot from Buck Rogers (beedey beedey ;) ). So, again, what's changed? It appears from the forum that many others have a very similar story -- everything was fine until a short time ago, then call quality takes it in the dumper. Why?