This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81310 by Rita
Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 am
I have Ooma connected behind my router, changed the MAC Address to Built-in. The audio is bad for the caller (I hear fine).

I replaced my phone, but now I'm thinking I might need a new Router? I bought it in 2007, WG311v3. Does anyone else have this model router?

I am very frustrated, because I had Vonage for years and never had any issues.
#81312 by thunderbird
Fri May 13, 2011 8:21 am
Rita wrote:I have Ooma connected behind my router, changed the MAC Address to Built-in. The audio is bad for the caller (I hear fine).

I replaced my phone, but now I'm thinking I might need a new Router? I bought it in 2007, WG311v3. Does anyone else have this model router?

The router is probably blocking Ooma required ports. Ooma needs to be exposed to the WAN Internet.

Since the Ooma device is designed to be "Bullet Proof" as far as Internet security goes:

Assign/reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device in your Router.

Than place the Ooma device's static IP address on the Router's DMZ.

Info only:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)
“In computer security, a DMZ, or demilitarized zone is a physical or logical subnetwork that contains and exposes an organization's external services to a larger untrusted network, usually the Internet. The term is normally referred to as a DMZ by information technology professionals. It is sometimes referred to as a perimeter network. The purpose of a DMZ is to add an additional layer of security to an organization's local area network (LAN); an external attacker only has access to equipment in the DMZ, rather than any other part of the network.”
#81317 by tomcat
Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 am
Putting your Ooma in your router's DMZ is not recommend by most users on this forum. Please make yourself aware of the potential security risks before blindly adding your Ooma to your router's DMZ.

You can also find some information here on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11131

thunderbird wrote:Info only:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)
“In computer security, a DMZ, or demilitarized zone is a physical or logical subnetwork that contains and exposes an organization's external services to a larger untrusted network, usually the Internet. The term is normally referred to as a DMZ by information technology professionals. It is sometimes referred to as a perimeter network. The purpose of a DMZ is to add an additional layer of security to an organization's local area network (LAN); an external attacker only has access to equipment in the DMZ, rather than any other part of the network.”

thunderbird:
While you provide some very good information about what a DMZ is, you fail to realize that this is not how it is implemented in consumer routers (those used by the majority of the users in this forum I suspect). A consumer router does NOT provide a physical or logical sub-network between the DMZ device and the rest of the LAN network. They are on the same network. Yes, the router should only let the outside world talk directly to the device in the DMZ, but if that device is compromised for any reason, the rest of the LAN network is not protected from that compromised device. The other LAN devices are NOT protected as your definition above would indicate. You seem to fail to understand this. You can also argue that the device should have a firewall and antivirus and whatever security software you want to run on it, but the fact remains that a compromised device is a compromised device.

You have also changed your posts to indicate that the ooma devices are "bullet proof". I have nothing showing that they are not a solid device, but many devices are made to be "bullet proof" but are later found to have security weaknesses. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but I am not willing to put my network at risk and you shouldn't expect others to do that without them understanding the risks involved just because you tell them to.

There has also been no evidence showing that putting the ooma in a DMZ fixes anything. So why suggest it? It does nothing but cause a potential security risk whether you want to admit it or not. If you should be inclined to think that maybe the router is blocking outgoing ports, then you should recommend the user put the ooma in front of the router, if only temporary, for them to test. This would still allow their router to protect the rest of their network.

Always put security first!
#81321 by nn5i
Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 am
thunderbird wrote:The router is probably blocking Ooma required ports. Ooma needs to be exposed to the WAN Internet.

Nothing of this is true.
#81383 by danlisman
Sat May 14, 2011 6:42 am
Rita wrote:I have Ooma connected behind my router, changed the MAC Address to Built-in. The audio is bad for the caller (I hear fine).

Have you tried putting Ooma between modem and router?
This is an easy change and could make a big difference.
Dan
#81386 by Rita
Sat May 14, 2011 7:15 am
Originally I plugged my Comcast DLink into Ooma. Then Home Networking into my Wireless G and then into my computer. When I did speedtest my Download was .25 and Upload was .256. I was so frustrated in working at my low speeds.

When I plug DLink into my Wireless & then plug in Ooma (from my wireless also going into my computer) my internet speed is fine.

Download: 21.71
Upload: 4.18

Currently I can hear people fine but whoever I call can't hear me.

When I call Ooma, they just say I need to contact Comcast and get increased upload speed!? I call Comcast and they say my speed is just fine (of course they want me to plug DLink directly into my comptuer.
#81388 by tomcat
Sat May 14, 2011 7:37 am
Rita wrote:When I plug DLink into my Wireless & then plug in Ooma (from my wireless also going into my computer) my internet speed is fine.

Download: 21.71
Upload: 4.18

This would seem to indicate that your router is fine. What are the QoS settings in the ooma? You can find this in the ooma setup by connecting your computer to the home port of your ooma and type http://setup.ooma.com into your browser.
#81391 by Rita
Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 am
My QoS on my Wireless G Route is set High for Ooma--it's set to be on Port 4.

A friend had Ooma and offered to help me get Ooma behind my Router--all this is over my head:( I'm just an overwhelmed stay at home mom/4 kids trying to save money:(

I can't get into my route with setup.Ooma.com. I guess it was set to be fixed at 192.168.1.105. He said I just enter that to get into setup, but when I type type in 192.168.1.105, nothing is happens (just get page not found).
#81395 by tomcat
Sat May 14, 2011 9:24 am
Rita,
In order to get into the setup of your ooma device you will need to disconnect your computer from your router and plug your computer into the home network port of your ooma. Your computer will get a new IP address from the ooma and then you should be able to access ooma's setup page. http://setup.ooma.com

Something else to try... since you can access your router, try removing the QoS in your router you have set up for the ooma. Normally you want QoS configured, but I am just wanting to see of removing the QoS in the router has any effect on the ooma traffic.
#81426 by Rita
Sat May 14, 2011 5:41 pm
I tried bypassing my router (Home Network into my computer), but that didn't work either. I had no internet connect? I thought he changed the Ooma settings so that Ooma would only be recognized as 192.168.1.105. Now I'm really nervous, because now I can't use my phone at all. Is there a way to reset the Ooma back to the factory defaults?

What would you recommend? The person that helped me said Ooma wants a lot so getting it behind the wireless would improve my internet connection. When I had Comcast going into Ooma then to my WIreless G Route and then to my computer, my internet upload speed went from 4 to .256.

When I called Ooma all they said was to call Comcast and get my upload speed increased. It seems when I put it behind the wireless my internet speed is great, I can hear people, but the person on the other end has a hard time hearing me.