This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83092 by RWW
Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:32 am
I have the same problem. Out going voice quality is very good. Invoming voice is good for a while and then become tectoman. I have RR service and the download speed is 8 plus mbps. Tectoman started about two months ago. All was perfect before then. Does anyone know when OOMA shot us the last software update. I think it all started with the latest software udate (45073). I noticed the problems a little over two months ago. I had RR test the network and replace the cable modem over the weedend. Tectoman still dominates my incoming voice. If this keeps up I will have to dump OOMA. I really think it is an OOMA problem. When I use SKYPE all works great and I use it quite a bit. I even made multiple calls with my magicjack and it now works better than OOMA. I like OOMA but if I can not use it because of poor voice quality I will switch, there are many choices.
#83094 by thunderbird
Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:55 am
RWW wrote:I have the same problem. Out going voice quality is very good. Invoming voice is good for a while and then become tectoman. I have RR service and the download speed is 8 plus mbps. Tectoman started about two months ago. All was perfect before then. Does anyone know when OOMA shot us the last software update. I think it all started with the latest software udate (45073). I noticed the problems a little over two months ago. I had RR test the network and replace the cable modem over the weedend. Tectoman still dominates my incoming voice. If this keeps up I will have to dump OOMA. I really think it is an OOMA problem. When I use SKYPE all works great and I use it quite a bit. I even made multiple calls with my magicjack and it now works better than OOMA. I like OOMA but if I can not use it because of poor voice quality I will switch, there are many choices.

Yes this kind of problem seems to have come right after firmware update 45073.

The good news is that by a making a few adjustments, the problem has been resolved for most people.

First:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Second:
Setting Quality of Service:

Use this step only if your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 90% (before the last firmware update it used to be 80%) of the measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Or

For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Others, especially with higher Internet speeds, have reported that this has helped them:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Or

Still others have reported that this works for them:
For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to a higher value, about 1000 Kbps higher, than the maximum measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

After making these adjustments, and if you still have problems, post those problems here and I try to give you some more suggestions.
#83264 by jamgold
Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 am
I thought I had my OOMA under control, but as it turns out I suffer from techno-voice like many others have reported.

A call starts out fine, but invariably turns metallic after ~15 minutes.

My setup is Cable Modem - Router - OOMA, with the OOMA using the built-in MAC address and QoS set to 0.

Upstream jitter 4.1 ms
Downstream jitter 0.6 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.4 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 99.1 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 3.7
REGISTER ms 104 ms
INVITE ms 117 ms
BYE ms 3 ms

I don't know what else to do, but this is pretty much unusable (for any meaningful phone conversation).

I am very disturbed by this, especially since it seemed to be working flawlessly, UNTIL OOMA did the firmware upgrade.

Is there any way to downgrade the firmware? Has OOMA provided an official comment?

:|
#83266 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 am
jamgold:

Change your QoS setting to the following:

For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to a higher value, about 1000 Kbps higher, than the maximum measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Use the next two steps ONLY for Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Next: if the problem continues reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device’s MAC address in your router and test.

Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router DMZ and test.

If you continue to have problems:

I know you already posted some if the thing listed below, but the phonepower test is a little more comprehensive.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, click on the Advance tab on the lower left and post the following here in this thread:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#83334 by jamgold
Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:06 pm
thunderbird wrote:Use the next two steps ONLY for Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
Next: if the problem continues reserve a static IP address for the Ooma device’s MAC address in your router and test.

already have a static IP

Next: if the problem continues place the static IP address for the Ooma device in your router DMZ and test.

Can't do that because I have a local web server running (it has extremely low traffic)

I know you already posted some if the thing listed below, but the phonepower test is a little more comprehensive.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, click on the Advance tab on the lower left and post the following here in this thread:

That is actually where the data I posted was from. The advance tab does not let me copy/paste the results (view text link).
#83338 by jamgold
Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 pm
thunderbird wrote:jamgold:
Is you Ooma setup still connected Modem-Ooma-Hub?

no, it is hooked up Modem-Router-Ooma because the other way would somehow freeze the Ooma several times.

How is you local web server connected in your LAN setup?

I hangs off the router with port forwarding
#83342 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:09 pm
jamgold wrote:
thunderbird wrote:jamgold:
Is you Ooma setup still connected Modem-Ooma-Hub?

no, it is hooked up Modem-Router-Ooma because the other way would somehow freeze the Ooma several times.

How is you local web server connected in your LAN setup?

I hangs off the router with port forwarding


Try the Ooma Setup QoS settings below:

Still others have reported that this works for them:
For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to a higher value, about 1000 Kbps higher, than the maximum measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

I don't believe I saw you upload and download speeds. If they are on the lower side, your home's LAN devices might have problems when using the Ooma Device. But if it's higher, you probably won't notice the difference.
#83344 by jamgold
Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:25 pm
thunderbird wrote:Try the Ooma Setup QoS settings below:

Still others have reported that this works for them:
For both Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma connections:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to a higher value, about 1000 Kbps higher, than the maximum measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

I don't believe I saw you upload and download speeds. If they are on the lower side, your home's LAN devices might have problems when using the Ooma Device. But if it's higher, you probably won't notice the difference.

I already have those settings applied. My bandwidth is on the high side: 18,000Kbp/s down, 4,000Kbps up

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests