This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81154 by matt331
Wed May 11, 2011 3:37 pm
I have fios, so I have the mi424r combo modem/router. The telo is the only thing plugged into it (I have the wireless turned off), then I have a netgear wireless N router behind the telo that I connect everything else to.

The key point here is my service was working fine and, despite me making no changes to my setup, internet service, or equipment, the call quality has dropped significantly. To me, that sounds like Ooma must have changed something. I'm trying tweaks to my setup, but nothing is doing the trick.
#81155 by EA PA
Wed May 11, 2011 4:24 pm
nn5i wrote:Interesting. Mine has been better recently.

My OOMA has been much better as well. I have noted substantial improvement over the last month or 2. Also, I have been system "hands off" for months as well. I am currently "tuned". My cost benefit and more importantly, satisfaction, is improving by the day. "ooooOOOOOO Maaaaa" :D
#81157 by thunderbird
Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 pm
matt331 wrote:I have fios, so I have the mi424r combo modem/router. The telo is the only thing plugged into it (I have the wireless turned off), then I have a netgear wireless N router behind the telo that I connect everything else to.
The key point here is my service was working fine and, despite me making no changes to my setup, internet service, or equipment, the call quality has dropped significantly. To me, that sounds like Ooma must have changed something. I'm trying tweaks to my setup, but nothing is doing the trick.

Since you only have the Ooma device connected to your Actiontec MI424R combo router, and you have another Router behind the Ooma device providing security for your LAN, and since the Ooma device is designed to be "bullet proof" as far as its security requirements go, turn off all security in your Actiontec MI424R combo router. It isn't needed.

Since you have a WAN IP address coming in from the Internet provider to your Actiontec MI424R combo router, Than the Actiontec MI424R combo router issues another LAN IP address to the WAN (Internet) side of the Ooma device, than the Ooma device issues another IP address from the Home port to the Netgear wireless N router's WAN port, you could be getting some instability from all of the IP address changes. I would reserve a static IP address in the Actiontec MI424R combo router for the Ooma device to start with.

Since your setup is Modem/Router-Ooma-Router, you need to set your QoS in Ooma Setup pages to about 80 % of measured download and upload speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. 80% is just a starting point; you may have to adjust upstream and/or downstream slightly upward or downward to fit your home's configuration.

If you don't work put your Ooma device's static IP address in your Actiontec MI424R combo router's DMZ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)
“In computer security, a DMZ, or demilitarized zone is a physical or logical subnetwork that contains and exposes an organization's external services to a larger untrusted network, usually the Internet. The term is normally referred to as a DMZ by information technology professionals. It is sometimes referred to as a perimeter network. The purpose of a DMZ is to add an additional layer of security to an organization's local area network (LAN); an external attacker only has access to equipment in the DMZ, rather than any other part of the network.”

Remember tht the Ooma device is designed to be "bullet proof" as far as its security requirements go.