This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#7751 by murphy
Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:48 pm
Those entries for DNS servers only apply if you have a static IP address from your ISP. They are ignored when you are using dhcp mode.
#7814 by niknak
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:25 am
...Now when I enter a bogus web address, I would expect to see an OpenDNS page telling me that the address can't be resolved. I don't...

I tried it and it is working for me...sometimes other websites take names "close" to a legitimate site's name to generate traffic due to typing errors

I used a friend's new website and purposly misspelled it and my browser did take me to the opendns page.

here are the site names:

Correct name: http://www.delawaresportingnews.com

Incorrect name: www delewaresportingnews.com
#7816 by WayneDsr
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:36 am
I have an awful habit of mistyping .com (.cm) and open dns corrects it for me! Not to mention network traffic monitoring and filtering. All free.

Wayne
#7911 by tailwheel
Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:47 am
niknak wrote:
...Now when I enter a bogus web address, I would expect to see an OpenDNS page telling me that the address can't be resolved. I don't...

I tried it and it is working for me...sometimes other websites take names "close" to a legitimate site's name to generate traffic due to typing errors

I used a friend's new website and purposly misspelled it and my browser did take me to the opendns page.

here are the site names:

Correct name: http://www.delawaresportingnews.com

Incorrect name: www delewaresportingnews.com

So niknak, you are saying you have the ooma using OpenDNS with a configuration similar to mine (modem-ooma-router-computer)? I don't think it works when ooma gets a dynamic IP as was mentioned earlier. I did setup my computer to use opendns and verified that it is using it - I get the opendns page when an invalid address is entered.

I also signed up for an OpenDNS account. I does have some nice features for free.

Anyway, given what I know now, I'm thinking I would like to try to move my ooma behind my router and then configure my router to use opendns. (I can also setup the router to automatically update my dynamic IP with OpenDNS account, instead of having the service running on my computer.) So, I'm running OpenWRT on my router and am clueless as to how to setup qos. The default settings seem to slow my download speed by about 20%. Anyone have any experience with OpenWRT qos. I would think I should be able to improve my performance if all I want qos for is voip. Might even consider going to another firmware like dd-wrt. Any suggestions.
Thanks.
#7917 by niknak
Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:06 am
[quote]...So niknak, you are saying you have the ooma using OpenDNS with a configuration similar to mine (modem-ooma-router-computer)? [\quote]

No sorry if I misled you - my system has connection with ooma after my router as follows: FIOS --> Router --> Switch --->Ooma
\
---> Pc's
\
---> Wireless Access Point
#9493 by UsualNoise
Mon May 11, 2009 7:57 pm
I just installed the ooma today and I'm hearing about a 1 second delay in my calls to my local family (landlines). Has anyone figured out a way to address this, or should I contact customer support? I tried some tests with my mom to determine the delay, and my current Time Warner internet phone is around 1/5 of a second or less to a landline, 1/2 a second to a cell phone ... but almost 1 full second using ooma. A full second is too long for me and if it is not fixable I'll probably have to return the hardware.

My connection is set up optimally with cable modem > ooma > router, and my speed is around 850 kb up, 2+ Mb down. I've set those numbers in the QOS box on the ooma setup page as well.
#9518 by UsualNoise
Tue May 12, 2009 10:18 am
Here are the results, but I don't think anything with my connection is the problem.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3929760 bps
Upload speed: 949984 bps
Download quality of service: 97 %
Upload quality of service: 95 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 64 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 99 ms
Average round trip time to server: 100 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 35200000bps
Route concurrency: 8.95729
Download TCP forced idle: 86 %
Maximum route speed: 5295752bps
#15447 by KevinDoman
Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:49 pm
It had been almost three months since the last post to this thread, so here we are again:

I had ooma going for the last few months and all local calls were decent enough to replace my landline if needed. But my long distance to a cell phone is something to wish for. I had terrible delay when calling to a mobile phone. Last night, I made several calls from my home landline in Minneapolis, MN out to cell phones in San Jose, CA and the Los Angeles area also in California. I can say a word, count three seconds, then heard the respond from the other party.

There was no noticable delay if I call the same mobile number from my home landline.

Several posts in this thread indicated better response if they use OpenDNS server as their servers. I had been using OpenDNS as DNS server in my home for a very long time, much longer than my time with Ooma.

Since people stopped making post to this thread, I assume somehow, somwhere, someone already find a cure to this delay issue?