This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#5897 by Studly
Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:31 pm
Another question about openDNS. I don't have a router, just a cable modem, connected to my Ooma hub, which then connects to my PC.

I didn't find any details on the openDNS web site about changing the DNS settings in a modem, or can't you change them in a modem?

If I change the settings on my PC, would it do any good (as far as improving my Ooma latency problem or call quality) since my PC is connected behind Ooma?
#5900 by Studly
Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:20 pm
WayneDsr wrote:I believe you would change them in the ooma hub, http://setup.ooma.com if I read your response correctly.

DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2
Remember to write down the original ones just in case you want to change back.

Thanks again for the help. Actually, my default settings in the hub were blank for both DNS servers. How does the hub get this DNS info by default?
#5902 by WayneDsr
Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:41 pm
Then I would assume that you would enter the dns in your cable modem.
I'm so used to using routers I forget how the cable modems work!

Wayne
#5906 by murphy
Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:11 pm
Studly wrote:Thanks again for the help. Actually, my default settings in the hub were blank for both DNS servers. How does the hub get this DNS info by default?

When the hub asks your ISP for an IP address the data packets that are returned include the addresses of the ISP's DNS servers.
#6208 by Soundjudgment
Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:37 am
It basically has to do with what method you are set up to use the DNS system: Static or Dynamic addressing. You can make that choice in one or both of these places: The Computer's Network settings control-panel, or the Router's own network-settings web-page. You really don't have much control over the Modem setting itself. It always passes through the traffic requests both downstream and upstream, and doesn't offer any user-management of those IP settings (if it is just a stand-alone modem). The ISP should not even care if you make use of the OpenDNS service or not. They will pass through all requests upstream to them.

Most users prefer to set their Home Router (if used) with Static DNS addresses from OpenDNS:
http://www.opendns.com/solutions/homenetwork/

...for good reason. They can be assured that the Local Router will send all DNS requests from the computer(s) through OpenDNS, instead of their local ISP's DNS system. Then they can simply leave all their computers attached as DYNAMIC (DHCP) and not worry about getting to the OpenDNS system. The ONLY time this choice would be overwritten, is if the local computer itself is set to STATIC addressing, and a different pair of DNS addresses are listed in the local computer's Network setup page.

A way to TEST if you are indeed using the OpenDNS net for all DNS inquiries is to use those addresses listed above. Then go into your Web-browser and purposely 'mis-type' a web address in the bar, forcing the web browser to seek it out. If you get a server response telling you the requested site doesn't exist, you should see this on an OpenDNS web-page with the erroneous-address information posted on it. This lets you know that your Internet DNS inquiries are covered by their DNS servers. They claim to be able to handle all the Internet DNS traffic thrown at them with ease.

Needless to say, I only use OpenDNS for all DNS requests on my system, and of course... OooOoooooma works fine with their service in place. :)
#6212 by Studly
Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:55 am
Soundjudgment wrote:It basically has to do with what method you are set up to use the DNS system: Static or Dynamic addressing. ...
Needless to say, I only use OpenDNS for all DNS requests on my system, and of course... OooOoooooma works fine with their service in place. :)

Thanks for the additional info. Can you explain the difference between static and dynamic addressing? I don't really understand that.

I've kind of discovered too (as you mentioned above) that the modem has no place to enter the OpenDNS addresses (as a reminder, I have no router, just a modem, Ooma and PC). So I tried changing to OpenDNS on my PC, and ran some tests, but it did not seem to speed up my latency at all. Also, when I was running OpenDNS, then I could no longer reach my Ooma setup page for the devise: http://setup.ooma.com/. How do you get into that page when running OpenDNS?

If I go to that setup page, under Network Settings, Static IP Options, should I enter the OpenDNS addresses under DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2? Do I need to fill out any of the other options under Static IP Options ... by default they are all currently blank.

Since my original posting on this topic about a voice delay using Ooma, I notice it on almost all calls -- a slight delay when calling most landlines and a longer delay when calling cell phones. When I do a VOIP test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html , I always seem to get good results, and my round trip latency is always around 75ms, whether I'm using OpenDNS or not. FYI: Charter is my cable Internet provide.

Does anyone else notice this voice delay on Ooma? After you're done saying something, there's usually a long pause before the other person talks back, leading to sometimes talking over each other.
#6838 by nexus7
Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:09 pm
Yes, I notice it too. This is all about transit delay to the inter-exchange gateways and not much else. All of the major cellular and circuit-switched networks have native peering points with each other; perhaps ooma doesn't have native cellular peering points or they're further away topologically than their circuit-switched peering points.

For what it's worth, I've found the serialization delay ooma-to-ooma to be quite good.
#7382 by Studly
Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:05 am
nexus7 wrote: For what it's worth, I've found the serialization delay ooma-to-ooma to be quite good.

Actually, I notice a bigger voice delay -- comparable to talking to someone on a cell phone -- when I call Ooma Support, and I suspect they are all using Ooma lines, too. Anyone else notice when you call support, there's a longer voice pause?
#7746 by tailwheel
Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:38 pm
After reading this thread, I've been trying to setup my ooma to use the opendns servers. It doesn't seem to be working though, but not sure how to test it to make sure.

I have: cable modem -> ooma -> linksys router (running OpenWRT) -> computer.
I went to the Network page of the ooma and set DNS Server 1 and 2 to the IPs of the OpenDNS servers. Rebooted everything.
Now when I enter a bogus web address, I would expect to see an OpenDNS page telling me that the address can't be resolved. I don't.

Is the way I set this up correct and is there another way to test/show what my DNS servers are?

Thanks