This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#79999 by tpeluso
Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 pm
I've been using my Telo for the better part of a month and have come across two issues of note I perceive to be QoS-related that I'd appreciate some direction in targeting a fix for. As follows:

• When I place a call from my Telo to a cell phone and the person I'm calling doesn't pick up, the line goes silent as soon as the call is supposed to go to voicemail. I never hear the greeting for the person I'm calling and I'm unable to leave a message behind because I never hear the prompt to do so. (I do not experience this problem when calling a landline; only when I call a cell.)
  • When I call a landline, the person I'm calling often reports hearing tones that sound similar to either key presses or to the beep that you hear when you're on a call and another person is ringing you. I don't hear the tones myself, and I haven't had a person I called on a cell phone tell me this yet, so I'm assuming it's limited to landlines.
I've already adjusted the QoS setting on my Telo to match the stated upload speed from my Internet provider (I have 20/2 Mbps service from RCN in New York City). I also ran the PhonePower.com speedtest after seeing it referenced in some other threads on this board - yellow items of note from the speedtest were CoS of 74% (which PP.com says it's fine, but then why is it a yellow status?) and packet loss of 1.6%. I'll note that even though my service is relatively new (initially installed in late October), I often find myself having to power-cycle the modem after my connection slows to a crawl at random points, and I'm particularly anxious for my building to allow Verizon to come in and install FiOS so I can switch over.

Any suggestions from anyone towards resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated!
#80000 by EA PA
Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:36 pm
Some issues noted before:

QoS UL to 80% measured, DL to 0 (modem/Telo/router config)
Move Telo a few feet away from any RF source
Use only DECT 6 phones
Cold boot modem and retest for better connections
INTERNET port MAC Address to: Use Built in:
#80001 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:38 pm
Packet loss shouldn't be happening. If you are renting a modem, could you get a different issued and try?
#80006 by celblazer
Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:02 pm
tpeluso wrote:
[list][*]When I place a call from my Telo to a cell phone and the person I'm calling doesn't pick up, the line goes silent as soon as the call is supposed to go to voicemail. I never hear the greeting for the person I'm calling and I'm unable to leave a message behind because I never hear the prompt to do so. (I do not experience this problem when calling a landline; only when I call a cell.)

I just experienced this same problem today. Picked up the cell and called the number and voice mail picked up fine. Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution.
#80007 by tomcat
Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:11 pm
This sounds like an issue that was going on just a couple of months ago that I don't know if it was ever fully resolved. The work around was to dial *98 before the number you are calling. See if this works for you as well.
#80008 by EA PA
Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:12 pm
celblazer wrote:
tpeluso wrote:
[list][*]When I place a call from my Telo to a cell phone and the person I'm calling doesn't pick up, the line goes silent as soon as the call is supposed to go to voicemail. I never hear the greeting for the person I'm calling and I'm unable to leave a message behind because I never hear the prompt to do so. (I do not experience this problem when calling a landline; only when I call a cell.)

I just experienced this same problem today. Picked up the cell and called the number and voice mail picked up fine. Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution.

This may be related to the 10 second delay to connect to cell phone issues, connects - they can hear you but you cant hear them for 10 seconds:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10897

I had used a workaround by preceding dialing with *98 and it worked great. Recently, the new firmware seems to have resolved it. You might want to check your firmware revision and or use *98 and see if that works.