This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#79917 by kaho
Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 pm
I have been using Ooma since March 2010. I had some issues during the first few weeks but the issues were gone after some firmwares updated. Everything was going great until two weeks ago or so. People who called me were complaining that they heard some annoying statics. However,they told me that they did not hear the statics when I called them. I did not believe them at first. I tried to call my number from two different phones, a landline and a cell phone. And yes, I did hear the the annoying static noise right after my phone started ringing on both phones! :cry: Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
#79919 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:35 pm
kaho:
Static usually comes from a defective phone, either on your end or the other party's phone. But it's usually on your end.

Try connecting just one corded phone to your Ooma device's Phone port and test. If you still have static, try another, just one phone and test.

If you have several phones, isolate each phone and test until you find the phone that is causing the static.

If you have DSL, you might try adding a DSL phone line filter near your Ooma device's phone port.
#79927 by kaho
Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:22 pm
Thanks for your response. I have two phones. One Is an old Panasonic 2.9 ghz (it works great by the way, as long as it was away from the modem) and the other one is a Uniden Dect 6. The statics were on both phones. I took your advise and tried using the corded phone but no luck. I recently use an APC battery backup with my modem, my Telo hub and my phones. Could that possibly be the cause? Thanks.
#79928 by EA PA
Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 pm
kaho wrote:Thanks for your response. I have two phones. One Is an old Panasonic 2.9 ghz (it works great by the way, as long as it was away from the modem) and the other one is a Uniden Dect 6. The statics were on both phones. I took your advise and tried using the corded phone but no luck. I recently use an APC battery backup with my modem, my Telo hub and my phones. Could that possibly be the cause? Thanks.

easy enough to test...?
#79934 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:31 pm
EA PA wrote:
kaho wrote:Thanks for your response. I have two phones. One Is an old Panasonic 2.9 ghz (it works great by the way, as long as it was away from the modem) and the other one is a Uniden Dect 6. The statics were on both phones. I took your advise and tried using the corded phone but no luck. I recently use an APC battery backup with my modem, my Telo hub and my phones. Could that possibly be the cause? Thanks.

easy enough to test...?

Yes, a APC battery backup system could cause problems.

Test with your Modem, Ooma device, Router and your Phone connected to a normal wall power outlet and see what happens. Reboot everything before testing.
#79976 by kaho
Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:11 pm
Hi Thunderbird,
Eureka :D ! It's works! Here's what I did : I unplugged the filter from the Ooma phone port, plugged it in the phone jack from the wall and plugged the cord from modem to the filter.
Thanks for your help. :)