This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#79686 by Angelo921
Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:33 pm
Hello all

I installed Ooma today and am waiting for my number to be ported over from Comcast. I did notice that when im talking to someone I can at times hear my own voice after I say something which never happened with Comcast. Is there something I need to change in the network settings to stop this from happening. Ooma is connected directly to my Comcast router and I have a 12mb connection. Any help is appreciated.

thanks
Angelo
#79688 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:54 pm
By any chance, are you using your current number with Ooma meaning you are feeding comcast digital phone dialtone to your Ooma's wall port?
#79691 by I_Ooma_2
Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm
Sometimes I hear my own voice as well, but my doctor says that with more rigorous treatment, that should go away soon. :D

In all seriousness, I occasionally hear my own voice as well. Currently my Telo is only connected to one DirecTV DVR and my Panasonic Dect 6.0 phone system. From what I understand, it is more of an issue with the POTS equipment (and thus exists in normal landlines) but that the slight delay of VoIP makes the echo more noticeable. In my limited experience, it seems like the only time I ever have noticed this echo is when I initiated the call. Why it didn't happen to you with Comcast VoIP but it is happening with Ooma, I don't know. Perhaps Comcast had different or better echo cancellation?

I'll be curious to see what may come up in this thread. This doesn't happen very often (maybe 2 or 3 times in a 40 minute conversation) and is certainly not a deal-breaker for me, but I wouldn't mind if I could make it go away. I've also heard that the person hearing the echo (in this case you or me) is at the opposite end of the "problem area" causing the echo.
#79770 by Angelo921
Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:51 pm
Anyone else have this problem? I never had this happen with Comcast VOIP. Doesnt happen often, only in certain parts of my house. My router is located close by so not sure why its happening.
#79813 by Leeway
Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 pm
I hear myself often lately. I wouldn''t dream of tell my doctor or my kids for that matter. I'm just grateful that the OP doesn't hear me repeating myself and I am assuming it is only one sided.
#79815 by Hollywood
Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 pm
i've had it happen a few times, but not lately. just guessing, but try to hold the phone closer to your ear to seal off any possible feedback, and maybe test with another phone.

all phone systems have *some* delays, but I know if you hear your voice and it is delayed while you are talking, it's hard to maintain the conversation. good luck!
#79818 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:22 pm
With the Telo, when I first fired it up, I heard echo on a couple of short calls but never heard that since.
#79822 by EA PA
Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 pm
lbmofo wrote:With the Telo, when I first fired it up, I heard echo on a couple of short calls but never heard that since.

Once upon a time, and one time only, I heard myself every time I spoke with some delay using the handset / Telo. I specifically made that call because I knew the party I was calling had OOMA and the handset and I thought it would be cool to check the HD clarity.

Just a few days ago after I got the firmware push, I tried calling my cell phone to see if the delay to connect issue that I have always had went away (cell in 1 ear, handset in other ear, wife thinks I am nuts :shock: ). The good news is that my issue seems to have abated. The more subtle issue was that I always get an echo when I test this issue this way (duh) - speaking into both phones simultaneously.

This brings me to my point (cheers). Could part of these issues simply be that the receiving parties phone speaker is loud enough (or mic sensitive enough / or both) that you are actually hearing your voice feed back through the receivers phone speaker to mic vs. some intermediary technical issue?

Next time you hear the echo, ask the receiving party to cover the mic on their phone and try talking to see if the issue goes away. Maybe this another handset issue - or certain phones with ear volume control? if you do this - please re-post with results.
#79823 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:09 am
Angelo921:
Since you just started using Ooma, check and see if you have the latest Ooma Telo 45073 Firmware update. Ooma Telo 45073 Firmware update corrected some of the echo problems that some people are having.
The easiest way to check for Ooma Telo Firmware 45073 update is to press any of the buttons on the face of the Ooma device. If you hear tones or voice messages, you have the new Ooma Telo Firmware 45073 update. Tone and voice was an added feature of this update.
If you don't have the firmware update, it will be automatically "pushed" out to you this week.