This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81518 by sb06794
Mon May 16, 2011 2:33 pm
Thunderbird,
One very minor suggestion for testing the Ooma audio delay: Instead of speaking a word like "one", use one quick tap on the phone with a pencil. It makes a much sharper spike making it easier to measure the delay. FYI - Our delay is typically 850 msec using the 909-390-0003 echo number. We live in Ithaca, New York.
Stu
#81537 by vicw
Mon May 16, 2011 6:17 pm
sb06794 wrote:Thunderbird,
One very minor suggestion for testing the Ooma audio delay: Instead of speaking a word like "one", use one quick tap on the phone with a pencil. It makes a much sharper spike making it easier to measure the delay. FYI - Our delay is typically 850 msec using the 909-390-0003 echo number. We live in Ithaca, New York.
Stu

I agree, in fact, that's exactly what I did. It seemed pointless to put in a complicated waveform that would be difficult to discern. The narrow spike from the pencil hit is perfect.
#81539 by vicw
Mon May 16, 2011 7:22 pm
Don't mean to overload here, but I wonder if anyone has comparison tested the echo timing with the Telo in front of the router vs. behind it. I rather doubt it could make any difference, but I'd be willing to try it. Mine is currently behind my router. It's a pain to switch back and forth, however, and if anyone has already tried this, maybe you could just share your findings.
#81546 by EA PA
Tue May 17, 2011 3:33 am
vicw wrote:Don't mean to overload here, but I wonder if anyone has comparison tested the echo timing with the Telo in front of the router vs. behind it. I rather doubt it could make any difference, but I'd be willing to try it. Mine is currently behind my router. It's a pain to switch back and forth, however, and if anyone has already tried this, maybe you could just share your findings.

I'll save you the trouble! My configuration is currently Modem/OOMA/Router/Sw and was in this configuration when I tested it. Repeat post results:

From east coast using the pencil tap method on Audacity, results repeatable.
909-390-0003, 760 mSec delay.
925-259-0082, 340 mSec delay.

These results seem consistent with results that I have seen posted.
#81550 by vicw
Tue May 17, 2011 7:22 am
EA PA wrote:
vicw wrote:Don't mean to overload here, but I wonder if anyone has comparison tested the echo timing with the Telo in front of the router vs. behind it. I rather doubt it could make any difference, but I'd be willing to try it. Mine is currently behind my router. It's a pain to switch back and forth, however, and if anyone has already tried this, maybe you could just share your findings.

I'll save you the trouble! My configuration is currently Modem/OOMA/Router/Sw and was in this configuration when I tested it. Repeat post results:

From east coast using the pencil tap method on Audacity, results repeatable.
909-390-0003, 760 mSec delay.
925-259-0082, 340 mSec delay.

These results seem consistent with results that I have seen posted.

Thanks for sharing that, and saving me the time and trouble. It's not at all surprising to me that there is no apparent improvement with the Telo ahead of the router.
#81551 by vicw
Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 am
Since the suggestion was made by Thunderbird that the Telo itself might somehow cause a delay problem, I think it's fair to ask the question - Has anyone experienced or documented a significant and repeatable change in echo time by replacing their Telo?

Ooma itself, or their reps here, would appear to be in the best position to answer that question, since they presumably have the resources - hardware, tools, network, etc., whereas we humble users have to work with improvised tools at the far end of the Ooma network, with no visibility to the internal Ooma network or carriers, and no way to make direct A-B performance comparisons between Telos, but if any of you have, it would be very helpful and instructive. My apologies if this has already been documented, and I'm asking you to repeat yourselves. Bottom line for me is that I don't want to go through the inconvenience of a Telo replacement if it's just a meaningless exercise.
#81553 by marcaronson408
Tue May 17, 2011 8:28 am
vicw wrote:Since the suggestion was made by Thunderbird that the Telo itself might somehow cause a delay problem, I think it's fair to ask the question - Has anyone experienced or documented a significant and repeatable change in echo time by replacing their Telo?

Just in case it is helpful... I have the problem and I am using an OOMA HUB -- 725MS delay. Using the same telephone and internet connection I see a 450MS delay when using Google Voice + OBI 110.
#81554 by nn5i
Tue May 17, 2011 8:49 am
vicw wrote: ... the suggestion was made by Thunderbird that the Telo itself might somehow cause a delay problem ... I don't want to go through the inconvenience of a Telo replacement if it's just a meaningless exercise.

It probably would be. Our advice-giving friend is a true descendant of Adam, as described by Eve in Mark Twain's Diary of Adam and Eve.

He is self-educated, and does really know a multitude of things, but they are not so.
#81557 by thunderbird
Tue May 17, 2011 9:24 am
http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/ooma-co ... 2009-03-19

Article Quote: The current Ooma device has a 450 MHz ARM processor onboard running Linux, a derivative version of Asterisk and a routing algorithm to pick the least-cost route for the phone call, be it another Ooma (free), a regional carrier, or the best national carrier rate of the day. Route processing is happening at the device--not the core--so there's no need for big iron and expensive solutions.

According the Article quote above, "Route processing is happening at the device--not the core".

The Chronic Audio Delay that a few people have, could be caused by a defective Ooma device?

If the Ooma device consistently chooses "Lousy Carrier Routes" from less reputable low end carrier providers, than the call quality is always going to be bad for the user with a defective Ooma device.