This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81054 by vicw
Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 am
Current Provider
Paetec Communications Inc.

Original Telephone Company:
Mcimetro Ats Inc.

Original Telephone Company Type:
Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC)

I estimated my echo time on the 909 number currently at 650 ms, and about 300 ms on the 925 number. Scanning through this thread doesn't give me much hope that the problem will be resolved soon, if ever. It seems most likely to me that the root of the problem is the use of the cheapest available providers on any given call, and that call quality will never be consistently good.

In the meantime, my wife is growing more and more unhappy and vocal about my decision to get the Ooma. She doesn't get any measure of happiness over the cash savings, doesn't appreciate all of the nice features on the Premium service, and her complaints to me are getting quite serious, especially about echoes, long delays (talking over one another) and various beeps, clicks and breakups. Ironically, I haven't experienced any of these issues, but then she is on the phone far more than I am.
#81061 by thunderbird
Tue May 10, 2011 11:00 am
vicw wrote:I estimated my echo time on the 909 number currently at 650 ms, and about 300 ms on the 925 number. Scanning through this thread doesn't give me much hope that the problem will be resolved soon, if ever. It seems most likely to me that the root of the problem is the use of the cheapest available providers on any given call, and that call quality will never be consistently good.

Cordless phones have been found to cause echo and delay:
Try testing your Ooma phone system by connecting a corded phone only, to the Ooma's phone port. Connect nothing to the Ooma Wall port. For this test you need to un-power your cordless phone base. Again not only does your cordless phone need to be disconnected, but the cordless phone base needs to have power removed also. Test again and see if there is a difference.

Electrical/electronic equipment located to close to the Ooma device have been found to cause delay.
Move all electrical/electronic equipment at least three to four feet from the Ooma device.
Test again and see if there is a difference.

If there is no improvement than you have to call Ooma Customer Service.
It may be settings/adjustments on the Ooma, Carrier side, or it may be a defective Ooma Device.
For this problem your have to be very persistent and keep after Ooma daily.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#81063 by thunderbird
Tue May 10, 2011 11:03 am
jcmoor444 wrote:I have audio delay of 690 msec. on my Telo that is about 6 months old.

Carrier is level 3 communications.

Try testing your Ooma phone system by connecting a corded phone only, to the Ooma's phone port. Connect nothing to the Ooma Wall port. For this test you need to un-power your cordless phone base. Again not only does your cordless phone need to be disconnected, but the cordless phone base needs to have power removed also. Test again and see if there is a difference.

Electrical/electronic equipment located to close to the Ooma device have been found to cause delay.
Move all electrical/electronic equipment at least three to four feet from the Ooma device.

It may be settings/adjustments on the Ooma, Carrier side, or it may be a defective Ooma Device.

Customer Support
#81064 by nn5i
Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 am
thunderbird wrote:Cordless phones have been found to cause echo and delay

Well, they've been claimed to cause them anyway. I doubt it. Under some circumstances they can cause garbles, if there's a wireless LAN running very nearby. Echoes? Unlikely. Delays that a human being can detect? Impossible.
#81067 by thunderbird
Tue May 10, 2011 11:30 am
nn5i wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Cordless phones have been found to cause echo and delay

Well, they've been claimed to cause them anyway. I doubt it. Under some circumstances they can cause garbles, if there's a wireless LAN running very nearby. Echoes? Unlikely. Delays that a human being can detect? Impossible.

A real engineer would never make those kinds of statements.

I have in my possession a GE 5.8 GHz cordless phone system that will cause echo that can be heard and excessive delay that can be measured. When only the GE 5.8 GHz base is plugged in, and the phone GE 5.8 GHz phone line disconnected, it will still cause echo and delay, heard while using another phone that is connected and in use, using the Ooma phone system.

The echo and delay is repeatable any time the GE 5.8 cordless phone base is plugged in.

When the GE cordless phone base is un-powered, the Ooma phone system returns to normal.
#81073 by nn5i
Tue May 10, 2011 12:22 pm
thunderbird wrote:A real engineer would never make those kinds of statements.

Thank you for telling what a real engineer would do. I've always wondered. I assume you've investigated thoroughly, and understand the entire mechanism that leads to your observed results -- since you claim to know what real engineers do, and also imply a claim to know that your GE phone causes that result because it's wireless. You have not detailed how you know that.

John Conduitt, a personal friend of Isaac Newton, tells the following: Mr Molyneux related to us that after he and Mr Graham and De Bradley had put up a perpendicular telescope at Kew, to find out the parallax of the fixed stars, they found a certain nutation of the Earth which they could not account for, and which Molyneaux told me he thought destroyed entirely the Newtonian system; and theefore he was under the greatest dfficulty how to break it to Sir Isaac. And when he did break it by degrees, in the softest manner, all Sir Isaac said in answer was, when he had told him his opinion, "It may be so, there is no arguing against facts and experiments", so cold was he to all sense of fame at a time when a man has formed his last understanding.

What you say may be so, there is no arguing against facts. But permit me to doubt your facts, or at any rate doubt your understanding of them.
#81198 by vicw
Thu May 12, 2011 7:10 am
thunderbird wrote:
vicw wrote:I estimated my echo time on the 909 number currently at 650 ms, and about 300 ms on the 925 number. Scanning through this thread doesn't give me much hope that the problem will be resolved soon, if ever. It seems most likely to me that the root of the problem is the use of the cheapest available providers on any given call, and that call quality will never be consistently good.

Customer Support

Thanks for the response, Thunderbird. I probably will try the wired phone, and Telo relocation, but I will be doing it with a good dose of skepticism (and I'll stay out of the argument over who is, or isn't, a real engineer). Even if either of those things change the echo timing, I'm not sure where I'm expected to go with the results. I don't recall anything in the Ooma literature that said I may have to scrap and replace my phone system, or relocate the Telo to make it work properly. It also seems counter intuitive to me that external noise sensitivity would result in a 100% variation in echo delay from one called long distance number to the next.

It should also be considered that the VOIP system that the Telo replaced was located INSIDE of the cable modem, without suffering the echo delay or other problems, which implies to me that if these factors make a demonstrable and repeatable difference, that the Telo design may be excessively susceptible to radio and/or electrical noise interference by design.

I really do appreciate your help, and support - it's just that on this issue, it's hard for me to see these possible solutions as inspiring confidence in the robustness of the design of the Telo, or the Ooma network.
#81362 by jhphone
Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 pm
thunderbird wrote:
jcmoor444 wrote:I have audio delay of 690 msec. on my Telo that is about 6 months old.

Carrier is level 3 communications.

Cordless phones have been found to cause echo and delay...

I still get the trademarked Ooma delay when using a wired pushbutton Western Electric phone. No difference.

How can a cordless phone buffer more than 600 ms of audio we are experiencing?

Where is this purported digitized audio stored in the cordless phone?

How much RAM is available in a cordless phone to store this digitized audio data?

Do cordless phones even bother to buffer digitized audio?

Cordless phones have been found to cause echo and delay, blah, blah, blah...

This is a pointless and lame misdirection from the actual train wreck of Ooma technology.

We certainly expect no improvements from Ooma. All their technical people are long gone -- having successfully received remuneration upon completion of the pre-beta version.
#81460 by marcaronson408
Sun May 15, 2011 9:20 am
I am have severe audio delay problems. I have both OOMA and Google Voice. Here are the delays, as measured by calling the 909 numbers and using my PC to measure the lag:

OOMA via HUB: 725MS
OOMA via Scout: 850MS
Google Voice(GV): 450MS

The difference is startling.

Some important notes:

1. All measurements used the same Uniden wireless phone -- a 5.8ghz, 2-line system.
2. I am using an OBI110 box to access Google Voice from that Uniden phone.
3. The scout is connected to the hub by a 12 inch telephone wire.

My network is wired as follows: Cable modem -> Netgear WNDR3700 router -> OOMA HUB. The OBI110 for GV is also connected to the Netgear router. QOS in netgear router has been configured to give highest priority to OOMA Hub; everything else is normal priority, including the OBI110/GV.

Here is the additional info you requested:
Current Telephone Company: XO Communications.
Original Telephone Company:Pacific Bell
Forum name: marcaronson408

I have submitted a support ticket as well...

Marc
Last edited by marcaronson408 on Sun May 15, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#81469 by horsecore
Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 am
marcaronson408 wrote:I am have severe audio delay problems. I have both OOMA and Google Voice. Here are the delays, as measured by calling the 909 numbers and using my PC to measure the lag:

OOMA via HUB: 725MS
OOMA via Scout: 850MS
Google Voice(GV): 450MS

Some important notes:

1. All measurements used the same Uniden wireless phone -- a 5.8ghz, 2-line system.
2. I am using an OBI110 box to access Google Voice from that Uniden phone.
3. The scout is connected to the hub by a 12 inch telephone wire.

My network is wired as follows: Cable modem -> Netgear WNDR3700 router -> OOMA HUB. The OBI110 for GV is also connected to the Netgear router. QOS in netgear router has been configured to give highest priority to OOMA Hub; everything else is normal priority, including the OBI110/GV.

The difference is startling.

Here is the additional info you requested:
Current Telephone Company: XO Communications.
Original Telephone Company:Pacific Bell
Forum name: marcaronson408

I have submitted a support ticket as well...

Marc

If you don't mind doing it, please keep us posted on the status/progress of your ticket Marc. I too opened a ticket on 2/16/2011 and Ooma finally admitted that there is a problem with the carrier. The issue has died there due to their inability to resolve the issue and/or their reluctance or ineptitude to resolve the issue.

I do believe I'm going to have to dump Ooma and go to Vonage or AT&T. Sigh.