This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#80824 by thunderbird
Sun May 08, 2011 4:51 am
onoccasion wrote:Current: Level 3 Communications LLC, Amsterdam, NY
Original: Choice One Communications Inc.
Delay ~1s (enough that we keep talking over top of each other & my wife thinks it's worth the cost to switch back to a regular landline)
Since becoming a customer in January 2011
Seems to be worse in last month
Local calls (99% of our calls) are worse in all regards (delay, not connecting, caller ID not sent, incoming calls not ringing and not really recording voicemail even though caller hears outgoing voicemail message, etc.)

onoccasion: It might be worth a try to change from Automatic, to Use Built in MAC address in your Ooma Setup pages, under Internet Settings, access http://172.27.35.1
#81006 by thunderbird
Mon May 09, 2011 5:35 pm
http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/ooma-co ... 2009-03-19

Article Quote: The current Ooma device has a 450 MHz ARM processor onboard running Linux, a derivative version of Asterisk and a routing algorithm to pick the least-cost route for the phone call, be it another Ooma (free), a regional carrier, or the best national carrier rate of the day. Route processing is happening at the device--not the core--so there's no need for big iron and expensive solutions.

According the Article quote above, "Route processing is happening at the device--not the core".

I never would have though it, but the Chronic Audio Delay that a few people have, may be caused by a defective Ooma device.

If the Ooma device consistently chooses "Lousy Carrier Routes" from less reputable low end carrier providers, than the call quality is always going to be bad for the user with a defective Ooma device.
#81009 by nn5i
Mon May 09, 2011 6:38 pm
thunderbird wrote:If the Ooma device consistently chooses "Lousy Carrier Routes" from less reputable low end carrier providers, [then] the call quality is always going to be bad for the user with a defective Ooma device.

lbmofo wrote:That's happening with my Ooma too but why is my service awesome?

Perhaps you are easily awed.
#81013 by lbmofo
Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 pm
nn5i wrote:
thunderbird wrote:If the Ooma device consistently chooses "Lousy Carrier Routes" from less reputable low end carrier providers, [then] the call quality is always going to be bad for the user with a defective Ooma device.

Perhaps you are easily awed.

That's possible but I doubt it. When I was shopping for a refurb phone for my boy from eBay, I had to return one purchase because voice quality wasn't up to par. I am pretty retentive when it comes to voice quality. I've (family) has gone through 7 different models of cell phones in the past 3 years and I can tell which one has the best voice quality and which has the worst. Hence, when I say my Ooma is performing well, it likely is.
#81016 by lbmofo
Mon May 09, 2011 7:02 pm
However, for a brief period, I did notice a slight degradation in voice quality and I've reported it on this board.

lbmofo wrote:Dennis, is HD putting unprecedented burden on Ooma infrastructure?
Although slight, I noticed degradation of voice quality even on the Hub post HD.
#81028 by thunderbird
Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 am

I don't understand what you are saying.

It may be that your Ooma device's programing may only choose better routing, because of the area of the country where you live, and the carrier located in that part of the country?

It would be very interesting to see if someone that have had these problems forever, could subsitute a different Ooma device, and see what the results are.