This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#92319 by dansb
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 am
I have had voice delay issues for several months without a resolution.
My delay is both ways: 1-2 seconds. Lately now I have been getting some echoing at the very beginning of a local call. Locals calls appear to be worse than long distance. (I'm in northern Indiana).
My carrier is Choice Communications. I am at wits end. I have spent hours on the telephone with ooma tech support and Netgear tech people. Bandwidth and modem, router not the issue. My setup is working better than it ever has but certainly not even up to the basic level it should be. I am tired of apologizing to callers for talking over them so now I make sure that they know I have Ooma service so they don't get stuck with the same less than exceptable quality of service. I just asked to downgrade to basic from premier service because I cannot see paying the extra for the QOS I have been experiencing but if I lose my voicemail due to the QOS issue I will not be very happy!. Never had an issue with my last VOIP provider: didn't have to do a thing and got exceptional QOS. At this point I think it is all in Ooma's hands; there is nothing more I can do.
#92389 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:02 pm
dansb wrote:I have had voice delay issues for several months without a resolution.
My delay is both ways: 1-2 seconds. Lately now I have been getting some echoing at the very beginning of a local call. Locals calls appear to be worse than long distance. (I'm in northern Indiana).
My carrier is Choice Communications. I am at wits end. I have spent hours on the telephone with ooma tech support and Netgear tech people. Bandwidth and modem, router not the issue. My setup is working better than it ever has but certainly not even up to the basic level it should be. I am tired of apologizing to callers for talking over them so now I make sure that they know I have Ooma service so they don't get stuck with the same less than exceptable quality of service. I just asked to downgrade to basic from premier service because I cannot see paying the extra for the QOS I have been experiencing but if I lose my voicemail due to the QOS issue I will not be very happy!. Never had an issue with my last VOIP provider: didn't have to do a thing and got exceptional QOS. At this point I think it is all in Ooma's hands; there is nothing more I can do.

Test to see if you are experiencing half-duplex operation by removing power from you Modem. Next repower your modem. Make test phone calls and see if at least temporarily that the calls are normal. If the delay problem improves, the Modem may be defective, or some other device on your LAN may be pulling your LAN network down to half-duplex. Ooma needs full-duplex to function properly. If you don't experience any change, temporarily connect only Modem-Ooma, reboot the Modem, then the Ooma device, and then test to see if there is improvement.
#92493 by dansb
Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:10 pm
Tried all this without improvement. The delay is certainly worse with local calls. The problem is intermittent, some call are fine others are terrible. I use the Ooma Hub not the Telo. I did get a call from someone, (he has an office) at Ooma today and he promised to study my history and promised to fix the problem. I do believe the issue is with my carrier, Choice Comm. or ooma.
#94182 by Morac
Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:03 pm
Current Telephone Company:
CTC Communications

Original Telephone Company:
Verizon New Jersey Inc.

Original Telephone Company Type:
Regional Bell Operating Company (RBOC)

My ISP is Comcast and I have the Boost package (25/4 Mbps) speeds.
I have a Telo with firmware version 52474

Echo delay calling 909-390-0003 varied from about 640 to 800 ms using Audacity method.
Echo delay calling 925-259-0082 was about 400 ms on average.
I tested without Audacity originally and the delays were a bit higher so it's not consistent.

Echo delay calling AT&T cell phone was about 600 ms. It was the same both ways as I spoke into both my cell and local phone at the same time and the response came out both at the same time. This means that there is full duplex communication with the same delay incoming and outgoing.

Speaking to people there is sometimes a noticeable delay such that sometimes I end up talking over people since there is "silence" and I start talking only to have the other persons voice suddenly come in. Then the other person stops talking and the situation reverses until I simply stop and wait for the other person to talk.

Code: Select allPinging www3.ooma.com [208.83.244.196] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.83.244.196: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=239
Reply from 208.83.244.196: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=239
Reply from 208.83.244.196: bytes=32 time=112ms TTL=239
Reply from 208.83.244.196: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=239

Ping statistics for 208.83.244.196:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 93ms, Maximum = 112ms, Average = 98ms

I ran a VOIP Jitter test from Visualware's San Jose server and got

Code: Select allTest Type:    Voice over IP
Downstream Jitter:   3.61ms
Downstream Loss:   0 %
Downstream Packet Order:   100 %
Upstream Jitter:   2.15ms
Upstream Loss:   0 %
Upstream Packet Order:   100 %
Packet Discards:   0 %
MOS Score:   4.1

What is considered an acceptable delay for the East Coast?
#94184 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 pm
Morac wrote:Speaking to people there is sometimes a noticeable delay such that sometimes I end up talking over people since there is "silence" and I start talking only to have the other persons voice suddenly come in. Then the other person stops talking and the situation reverses until I simply stop and wait for the other person to talk.

When this happens, try removing power from you Modem. Then repower you Modem and make a test call right away again to see if things change for the better.
#94186 by Morac
Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:05 pm
thunderbird wrote:
Morac wrote:Speaking to people there is sometimes a noticeable delay such that sometimes I end up talking over people since there is "silence" and I start talking only to have the other persons voice suddenly come in. Then the other person stops talking and the situation reverses until I simply stop and wait for the other person to talk.

When this happens, try removing power from you Modem. Then repower you Modem and make a test call right away again to see if things change for the better.

It's not a duplex issue it's a timing issue. I'm starting a sentence a second after the other person does, but I don't know he's talking because of the delay. Then we both stop talking since we don't want to talk over each other. This process repeats until I back off since I know the delay is on my end.

I can have a good and bad call back to back without powering off the modem, it depends on how the call is "routed".
#94195 by Bill D
Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:32 am
Morac wrote:I can have a good and bad call back to back without powering off the modem, it depends on how the call is "routed".

As Bill Clinton would smoothly say, "I feel your pain".

I had exactly the same trouble from South Florida with about the same numbers. My 0003 Echo test measurement used to be over 800ms for many months and then improved for unknown reasons. It currently is about 500ms. My ping has always been 100ms.

I also have a Hub in southern California with a 25ms ping. It's been about 400ms on the 0003 echo test.

I'm living with 500ms. It's not much worse than a cell call, but when I was over 800ms, I felt like you are feeling now.

Something changes on the Ooma end of things that makes this vary and I haven't seen any posts that explain what it is. If anyone knows, please post it.

All-in-all, my hat's off to Ooma and I expect they'll get this solved eventually. I've been grandfathered at $0/mo. on three Hubs for 2-1/2 years and have no regrets. The delay issues have been the only headache (and the speaker on a Scout died).
#94896 by clearblue
Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:39 pm
I am experiencing the exact same problem using Suddenlink. I have allowed Ooma via the DMZ in the firewall on the Suddenlink modem which is a modem/router combo. I wondered if changing the upload and download to zero 0 would make any difference? Anyone know what the speeds should be set at for a Suddenlink modem/router combo? Would this help the delay? My speeds via speed test is ping 56ms download 10.53mbps and upload 1.93mbps. If setting to 0 won't help what should I set my speeds at?
#94898 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:20 pm
clearblue wrote:I am experiencing the exact same problem using Suddenlink. I have allowed Ooma via the DMZ in the firewall on the Suddenlink modem which is a modem/router combo. I wondered if changing the upload and download to zero 0 would make any difference? Anyone know what the speeds should be set at for a Suddenlink modem/router combo? Would this help the delay? My speeds via speed test is ping 56ms download 10.53mbps and upload 1.93mbps. If setting to 0 won't help what should I set my speeds at?

When an Ooma Telo is connected to the LAN side of a Modem/Router, with nothing connected to the Ooma Telo's Home port, the Ooma Telo Quality of Service Internet speeds are both set to Zero, per Ooma's recommendations.

You have not discribed your delay symptoms.

Try rebooting your Modem/Router, the quickly test making a phone call from your Ooma phone system, to a number that you notice has a lot of delay, and see if you still have delay.
#132331 by crash
Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:56 am
thunderbird wrote:Data Collection:

The two numbers that are used for delay testing are:
909-390-0003 is outside of Ooma and can be called by any phone (Ooma or not) to test round-trip delay.
925-259-0082 is inside of Ooma and tests round-trip delay without going out of Ooma over a carrier.
Ping www3.ooma.com to see your round-trip Internet delay to Ooma.

The test procedure is at: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

It's reported that the pencil tap method on using Audacity is best.

I am getting 850ms to the outside number and 350ms to the inside number. It is almost unbearable the delay I get on my phone calls. I have Charter cable (100mbps), good connection according to the Ooma support phone number. I'm getting 17ms response times when I ping Ooma's web site. I have tried disconnecting everything and plugging Ooma device straight into the cable modem and attach a corded phone and I get the same terrible delay. Almost ready to give it up.