This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#91367 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:01 am
Bill D wrote:
thunderbird wrote:We have next to no delay, but we have been suffering from One Way Conversations for a little while. Ooma says that within the next two weeks changes will be made to their servers that will fix the problem, so.... :?:

I've never had "one-way" problems. What does your delay currently measure using 909-390-0003 and Audacity?

It took me a while to find a mike and hook it up to hook up to my computer.

This morning I'm measuring a little less than 300 ms using 909-390-0003 and Audacity.
#91374 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:59 am
Bill D wrote:
thunderbird wrote:This morning I'm measuring a little less than 300 ms using 909-390-0003 and Audacity.

What is your ping time to www3.ooma.com?

Ping: Min = 107 ms, Max = 125 ms, Average 111 ms

This was Pinging using a computer with a Wi-Fi connection.
#91376 by Bill D
Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 am
Your delay (less ping) is 190 ms vs my 320 ms.

I wonder if Ooma has the ability to configure individual user's play-out buffers longer or shorter? This may be what they did for you to reduce your delay. Shorter buffers may be prone to robotic voice caused by buffer underflow due to jitter. I've never had robotic voice issues.
#91413 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:37 pm
fiterflyer wrote:I've been experiencing the latency problem for some time now and solved it by taking the power off of the components: the hub, the router, and the modem, then plugging them back in. It's fine. I hope this helps others having delay or echo problems.posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=11377#

After you reboot your home's LAN equipment and your Ooma phone conversations improve, you were probably experiencing half-duplex conversations. Ooma needs full-duplex to operate correctly. Rebooting usually returns the equipment back to full-duplex operation.

When you can find some time, some interesting reading below about half-duplex and full-duplex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch
http://e2epi.internet2.edu/case-studies ... match.html
http://www.pamconf.net/2005/PDF/34310138.pdf
http://www.networkcomputing.com/data-ne ... 677?pgno=1
#91482 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:11 pm
etters wrote:Is there an optimal sequence for such rebooting? My system is in a modem, Telo, router setup.

The normal order for booting a Modem-Ooma-Router setup is to remove power from the Modem, Ooma device and the Router. Then repower the Modem. When the Modem has completed booting, repower the Ooma device. When the Ooma device is done booting, repower the Router.
#91499 by jciarrocchi
Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 am
Current Telephone Company:

Original Telephone Company:
Southwestern Bell

Original Telephone Company Type:
Regional Bell Operating Company (RBOC)

Estimated City:
Houston

Estimated Region:
Texas

Estimated Postal Code:

Equipment Location Code:
HSTNTXCLDS0
#92318 by dansb
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 am
I have had voice delay issues for several months without a resolution.
My delay is both ways: 1-2 seconds. Lately now I have been getting some echoing at the very beginning of a local call. Locals calls appear to be worse than long distance. (I'm in northern Indiana).
My carrier is Choice Communications. I am at wits end. I have spent hours on the telephone with ooma tech support and Netgear tech people. Bandwidth and modem, router not the issue. My setup is working better than it ever has but certainly not even up to the basic level it should be. I am tired of apologizing to callers for talking over them so now I make sure that they know I have Ooma service so they don't get stuck with the same less than exceptable quality of service. I just asked to downgrade to basic from premier service because I cannot see paying the extra for the QOS I have been experiencing but if I lose my voicemail due to the QOS issue I will not be very happy!. Never had an issue with my last VOIP provider: didn't have to do a thing and got exceptional QOS. At this point I think it is all in Ooma's hands; there is nothing more I can do.