This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#83952 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:24 pm
lbmofo wrote:
pops wrote:Just adding my voice to the mix. We're in our first month of use and are experiencing a significant delay. Our provider is XO Communications in Seattle WA, and delay on 909 test number is approximately 600ms (though it appears much worse in actual conversations than it does in the echo test).

I've adjusted my QoS settings and opened a ticket, but if it doesn't get resolved I'll return the unit to CostCo.

We are from the same hood and here is what I reported early last month.

lbmofo wrote:Nov 2010 Hub 470ms

Apr 2011 Hub 837ms, Telo 1003ms

Today Hub 400-450ms, Telo 500-520ms

I have the same XO carrier. I am having no issues with my service; if any delays, can't be worse than the cell phones.

Since lbmofo isn't having problems, and you are using the same carrier, try downloading and installing freeware at site http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html, and run testing the path to vpn.ooma.com placed in the "Address To Trace" block.
This doesn't show the whole path that an Ooma phone call through to a legacy carrier takes, but it does show the approximately first two thirds of the path.
Let the program run for a while. The first Hop, and maybe the second Hop is in your home. These numbers should be zero or a very low number like 1, 2, or 3.
If the trace background color stays green, you have a pretty good connection on your end.
If the Xs along the graph line starts to get in the yellow or red, there are problems in that area.

A couple of other numbers that can be placed in the "Address To Trace" block are XO IP addresses 67.105.209.96 & 67.105.209.96. Note: These IP address aren't always operating, but they do get you farther down the line.
#84025 by Davesworld
Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:19 pm
thunderbird wrote:................................................
I went to:

myxprov.ooma.com
stun.ooma.com
ntp.ooma.com
vpn.ooma.com
67.105.209.96 (One of XO Commuications IP addresses)

I noticed that I have 35 hops to XO Commuications, and some go out of the Green area, into the Yellow area sometimes.

My round trip average to vpn.ooma.com is 138 ms.

Caution: If you decide to post your PingPlotter results, make sure the first one or two hop IP addresses are blacked out. These addresses may be inside of your homes LAN.

Of course the ONLY relevant test relating to voice quality is the server where the RTP packets go. The VPN is just sip signalling, no voice is carried over VPN. A delay of two seconds for sip signaling would make no difference in voice quality (but it would take longer to hear a ringtone) as long as the RTP stream is clean with low jitter and low latency as well as NO packet loss.

It does not matter where XO communications is, your VOIP does not traverse their servers. A case in point is that I ported some of my Ooma numbers out to VOIP.ms where XO communications was retained as the CLEC. The only difference is that I now use Voip.ms's Seattle server versus Ooma's California server. The voice round trip is so low now (under 70ms round trip which includes 10ms of jitter buffering) it's frightening. I can monitor in real time via a web gui. Of course anything at or under 200ms is not very noticeable if at all. I think cellular calls can easily have that much or more. The biggest issue is that the longer the path the RTP packets to the server where they are terminated to PSTN or routed to someone inside the network, the more that can go wrong but shouldn't go wrong often. One of my carriers has a Europe server I use for failover should I lose the US server, I have used it before and it was actually quite good. RTP Packets from Everett, WA to somewhere in the EU and still good sound quality. I was not expecting it. It was premium routing though.
#84174 by pops
Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:21 am
Follow up:

I used pingplotter and all my hops were green. Also performed standard QoS adjustments, speedtest, etc. and speed, jitter, packet loss, etc. were all fine.

My lag last night on the 909-390-0003 test line was 500ms-550ms. The lag however appears to be closer to 1 second in practice (when I ask someone on a POTS landline about 30 miles away to interrupt me on "4" as I count from one to 5). Not sure why this would be, but it appears slightly worse than my cell phone (though my cell phone lag on the test line was 650ms - perhaps I should record myself performing a countdown, play it back for someone over both Ooma and cellphone, and use audacity to measure lag between their reply..). My standard isn't really my cell phone though, I want it to be as good as my Comcast VoIP service was - otherwise I would just skip the Ooma and use my cell.

I received the standard response from Ooma re: troubleshooting steps, and provided them with the above information. They replied the following day with another apparently scripted response that in effect just asks me to reverse the QoS adjustments they requested in the 1st response:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience if you're still having issues with the call quality of your Ooma Telo. Since you've already configured the Quality of Service (QoS) on the setup page of Ooma (setup.ooma.com), may we suggest you to please try to reconfigure it by changing both values of the upstream and downstream to the zero "0" value.

After reconfiguring QoS, kindly reboot your Ooma device including your network devices by unplugging the power adapter. Leave it unplugged for at least 2-3 minutes...[snip]

Also, the issue you're having can be caused by natural disturbances in the atmosphere, please try moving your Ooma device away from electronic devices that could generate interferences such as microwave ovens, treadmill, Wi-Fi (b/g/n), 2.4 GHz cordless phones, some baby monitors, etc.

You can also try plugging in your Ooma to a different power outlet or a power strip of its own. Some call quality issues can also be cause by the phone itself that you are using, if you have a spare phone, you can make a test by replacing your phone with the spare one that you have. Please advise if you'll still have the same issue.

If you have further questions or require additional clarification...

"Natural disturbances in the atmosphere" :?:

I'll see if their third response provides any useful information, otherwise I'm getting sense that I may just have to return the unit if I'm not happy with the delay...
#84175 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:30 am
pops:
Since you ran Pingplotter and didn't see a large lag from your home to and through your Interent provider, than it's a problem that Ooma has to find and have corrected.

Delay is one of the hardest problems, when trying to get Ooma to make corrections.

You have to keep after Ooma almost daily.
#84212 by vicw
Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:56 pm
thunderbird wrote:pops:
Since you ran Pingplotter and didn't see a large lag from your home to and through your Interent provider, than it's a problem that Ooma has to find and have corrected.

Delay is one of the hardest problems, when trying to get Ooma to make corrections.

You have to keep after Ooma almost daily.

Good luck with that. The first and last update I received from my escalated ticket on this subject was on May 21, including the comment "Rest-assured you'll be receiving feedback from us either through email or callback once the issue is resolved."

I'm taking that statement at face value, and I have no plans to keep after them daily. Just saying that it is necessary is a sad commentary on the management of the Ooma support system. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy overall with Ooma, but they need to tighten up on their support feedback and accountability. The customer should never be forced to have to manage their system.

There has been some action some weeks ago on this thread from Ooma support, and they appear to have at least reduced the echo timing on the (909) line, but they have never have explained whether the status affects only that line, or the whole system, or where they are with the effort to improve echo timing. They seem to have just wandered away.
#84532 by pops
Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 am
Update: I tested again last night using actual call:

Ooma-cell phone (ATT network) - delay of 550 ms
cel-cell (both ATT network) - delay of 350 ms

Not as bad on the Ooma as I was expecting, but still bad enough to be noticeabley worse than cell phone (and in my mind, should be much better) - would add up to 1+sec delay roundtrip. I followed up with Ooma support, we'll see if they escalate and if so whether anything will be done.
#84550 by TxLady
Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:22 pm
TxLady here,

I am having the same problem. When I call the caller reports having to say Hello 2 - 4 times before I can hear them. My phones are DECT 6.0.

My Carrier is:
XO Communications Inc.
Equipment Location: AUSTXTECGO

The other problem I am having is hearing my voicemails. I tap the volume until it gets to 4 and most of the time I still can't hear the message. My Teleo is connected to by cable modem (Time Warner). It is frustrating because when I go online to hear the message, the System is not available. I need some assistance please. :(
#84553 by thunderbird
Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:34 pm
TxLady wrote:TxLady here,

I am having the same problem. When I call the caller reports having to say Hello 2 - 4 times before I can hear them. My phones are DECT 6.0.

My Carrier is:
XO Communications Inc.

The other problem I am having is hearing my voicemails. I tap the volume until it gets to 4 and most of the time I still can't hear the message. My Teleo is connected to by cable modem (Time Warner). It is frustrating because when I go online to hear the message, the System is not available. I need some assistance please. :(

For your first problem you could try the following. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

But for both problems you need to contact Ooma Customer support. When you have low volume audio coming out of the Ooma device, you probably need a replacement. If your Ooma device is within the one year warranty period, Ooma will replace it shipping prepaid, and enclose a prepaid shipping label for returning the defective Ooma device.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#84554 by murphy
Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:38 pm
TxLady wrote:TxLady here,

My Carrier is:
XO Communications Inc.

Call your own phone number from the phone connected to the Telo.
Can you hear your voicemail at reasonable volume via this method?

Are you saying that you can't log into your my.ooma account or that you can log in but can't play the voicemail?
If it's the latter you must have Adobe Flash Player installed to play voice messages.

http://www.adobe.com
#84557 by TxLady
Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:28 pm
TxLady here.

I could not hear the voice messages when I tried to play it back by pushing the arrow button on the Teleo.

I then logged in to my account and was unable to play the message and received an error message said (in red writing) "service not available".

Then when I tried to use my phone to retrievie the message I evidently had deleted the message by mistake.

So frustrating.