This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#82717 by hikerwillie
Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:33 am
Hello vicw,
Yes, I am using the Audacity program on a notebook PC. The connection is modem>ooma Telo>wireless router>PC. The numbers from earlier this year were ~850 ms. The firmware update in early April helped. My equipment has not changed during this time.
Another echo test this morning resulted in 410 ms.
I, also, would like to see more posted results.
#82724 by EA PA
Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:55 pm
Retest on 6/4/11

909# Old, 850 mSec, New 480 mSec
925# Old, 370 mSec, New 370 mSec

Substantial improvement. Called from east coast.
#82733 by vicw
Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:01 pm
Tom B wrote:For now this only means the delay on the echo call has improved. We're working with the vendor to reduce
latency on other calls before switching the echo number back to this vendor.

Tom & Dennis, I can only speak for myself, of course, but I appreciate your efforts to improve echo timing through Ooma, and hope that improvements can ultimately be applied system-wide. My own echo timing is still beyond the 400 ms that has been suggested as a reasonable limit for optimal call quality, but the improved results today give me hope that you are making some progress and that optimal results could be achievable. I also hope you can continue to utilize this thread as a means of validating and confirming system changes, as you continue your efforts.

I really want Ooma to be successful. I love the system features, and of course the pricing, but keeping my wife happy is naturally my primary consideration, and she has been quite unhappy so far with the tendency to talk over one another on Ooma, which I correlate to the excessive latency issue. She tends to have much longer conversations on the phone than I do, and she is much more sensitized to Call Quality than I am, so I trust her opinions even more than I do the measured timing tests. I've told her about the efforts you are now making to improve quality, and I've asked her to please let me know if she notices improvements or changes on this problem or any other issues that may come up.
Last edited by vicw on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
#82739 by villageed
Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:22 am
We have been using Ooma for almost 1 month and are experiencing this audio delay quite regularly. It's a major problem.
My current carrier is Paetec Communications Inc. The original carrier was Embarq Florida Inc.
I have a DECT 6 phone which offers no relief.
HELP :?
#82762 by Bill D
Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:24 pm
lbmofo wrote:Nov 2010 Hub 470ms

Apr 2011 Hub 837ms, Telo 1003ms

Today Hub 400-450ms, Telo 500-520ms

Lately I'm been noticing greatly improved delay on actual calls.

In 2010 the delay through my Hub measured 400 ms. Since early 2011 it has measured over 700 ms and its been very annoying on actual calls.

I just now measured it at 400 ms. Whatever those busy Oomites are doing in Palo Alto seems to be working very well, and it is also greatly appreciated.

Thank you Ooma.

Bill
#82787 by vicw
Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:47 am
I just ran a new RT echo test. This one gave me an unusual range of timing, all of them quite high, from one echo to the next, in order:

859 ms
835 ms
801 ms
754 ms
743 ms
696 ms

I have no idea what that means, but hopefully Ooma is continuing to investigate and work toward a happy resolution.
#82806 by EA PA
Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:28 am
vicw wrote:I just ran a new RT echo test. This one gave me an unusual range of timing, all of them quite high, from one echo to the next, in order:

859 ms
835 ms
801 ms
754 ms
743 ms
696 ms

I have no idea what that means, but hopefully Ooma is continuing to investigate and work toward a happy resolution.

vicw - is this data using the 909 number? If so Ill retest mine
#82807 by thunderbird
Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:14 am
Dennis P wrote:We made a routing change today that should improve latency to the external echo server (the 909 number). Can folks test this and see whether or not it improves their results? If you have tested before, please post "before" and "after" numbers. We are working with one of our vendors to see why the latency is high through the old route and hopefully will be able to use this information to create a more general fix for the issue.

Tom B wrote:For now this only means the delay on the echo call has improved. We're working with the vendor to reduce latency on other calls before switching the echo number back to this vendor.

EA PA wrote:
vicw wrote:I just ran a new RT echo test. This one gave me an unusual range of timing, all of them quite high, from one echo to the next, in order:

859 ms
835 ms
801 ms
754 ms
743 ms
696 ms

EA PA:
The first two posts are from Ooma Moderators posted in previous pages of this thread. As you can see, they wanted before and after test results for the 909 number. Up until the time of their posts, they hadn't corrected the overall delay problem, they were just making adjustments and testing the 909 number circuit.
#82809 by vicw
Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:43 am
EA PA wrote:

859 ms
835 ms
801 ms
754 ms
743 ms
696 ms

Yes it was the 909 one. Sorry I forgot to mention that.