This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81791 by rennman10
Fri May 20, 2011 4:21 pm
My carrier is XO Communications.

My delay is sometimes so bad that it's not possible to have a conversation.

This is relatively recent. I have had Ooma without problems for over a year and nothing has been changed in my network/setup.

rennman
#81797 by EA PA
Sat May 21, 2011 10:20 pm
Thanks Murphy. I had my doubts. When I looked up the pole, I was disappointed (but expected) only to see wires.

Latest: Numbers in mSec
909 number / handset = 850
909 number / Dect 6.0 = 970
909 number with *99 / handset = 650 then 850 then 700
909 number with *99 / Dect 6.0 = 700 ringing, then 850 ringing
909 number with *98 / handset = 880
909 number with *98 / Dect 6.0 = 890

925 number / handset = 350
925 number / Dect 6.0 = 370
925 number with *99 / handset = 330
925 number with *99 / Dect 6.0 = 400
925 number with *98 / handset = 320
925 number with *98 / Dect 6.0 = 360

Notable: Unstable results with 909 number and *99, but still too high and lots of ringing on waveform (expected). Also, I have new respect for handset. Nice crisp waveform with pencil tap vs. Dect 6.0 phone. Although, I need to think about this. Dect 6.0 was lower amplitude and had some ringing.

Bottom line is there is no question that 909 has a larger delay with both handset and Dect 6.0 vs. the 925 number. *99 is erratic and the others are pretty consistent.

The only thing left is the shoe test outside of the loopback numbers to validate the outside number (909) quality. Results to follow within a few days. Man this is getting to be work. :D
#82062 by vicw
Tue May 24, 2011 7:44 am
Thanks, EA for the test results. It seems to confirm, with your better detail, the results I got the other day, that there is no improvement with either the *98 or *99 prefix. Looking forward to your real world "shoe test" I haven't quite figured that one out yet, but it should be instructive.

In the meantime, I got a response back from Ooma on the 21st, that they have escalated my call quality/delay issue, but no more updates yet.
#82064 by EA PA
Wed May 25, 2011 7:33 am
vicw wrote:Thanks, EA for the test results. It seems to confirm, with your better detail, the results I got the other day, that there is no improvement with either the *98 or *99 prefix. Looking forward to your real world "shoe test" I haven't quite figured that one out yet, but it should be instructive.

In the meantime, I got a response back from Ooma on the 21st, that they have escalated my call quality/delay issue, but no more updates yet.


LOL - yep - no change with *98 - good thought though. The "shoe" test was a comment I made before in a previous post. I am simply going to call a buddy with a speaker phone activated on the other coast and then I am going to loopback to myself by having them hold the phone mic to the desktop phone speaker. I was going to to do this to validate the timing results of loopback number that was in question (909). I was laughing to myself thinking that instead of tapping a pencil, Ill have to bang it with my shoe to get it loud enough. Sorry for the confusion - I had a moment...glad you reminded me - forgot I need to do this
#82186 by EA PA
Wed May 25, 2011 2:02 pm
I finally tried a loopback, cross country E-W through a speaker phone. The tap method did not work so I had to bellow into my handset to get a loop. I finally got a return at about 1100 mSec, albeit a bit sloppy. So it looks like the 909 number is somewhat accurate. I then had a successful conversation off of the speaker phone and it was not that bad really.

So there it is.
#82187 by paladin252
Wed May 25, 2011 10:26 pm
i posted this info before, but now i have done some testing on the 909 number with a pencil and have some delay results:

.85
.96
.82
1.0
.95
.81
.90
1.2
.93
.78

Current Telephone Company:
Choice One Communications Inc.
Original Telephone Company:
Level 3 Communications Llc - Ma
Original Telephone Company Type:
Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC)

comcast internet speed as tested on speedtest.net:
30mbps download
3mbps upload
0 packet loss
2-5ms jitter
#82297 by vicw
Fri May 27, 2011 3:07 pm
EA PA wrote:I finally tried a loopback, cross country E-W through a speaker phone. The tap method did not work so I had to bellow into my handset to get a loop. I finally got a return at about 1100 mSec, albeit a bit sloppy. So it looks like the 909 number is somewhat accurate. I then had a successful conversation off of the speaker phone and it was not that bad really.

So there it is.


So, the "shoe test" became a "shout test". Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to help the cause. It seems to me we have pretty ample data, from a variety of user sources, that RT delays of .8 to 1.2 seconds are pretty universal, and no one has reported 400 msec or less. Personally, with all of the data collected, I think the ball is very much in Ooma's court to resolve the problem, or explain why we are wrong.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for Ooma to update my service ticket, since it was initiated last Saturday. Hopefully, they are working furiously and diligently, and will let me know when its all fixed.
#82454 by horsecore
Tue May 31, 2011 10:36 am
vicw wrote:Hopefully, they are working furiously and diligently, and will let me know when its all fixed.


LOL.

If they are, please let me know whatever fairy dust or magic potion you used to get them to correct the problem - I'd be very happy to acquire it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests