This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81735 by vicw
Fri May 20, 2011 5:47 am
Thanks, EA PA.

I was confident that was the case, just wanted to be absolutely sure. I agree with everything you said.

Incidentally, I got a rather long response back from my inquiry to Ooma this morning. It was a copy/paste list of everything I need to do, ignoring the specifics of my input, which was reporting the setup and results of my echo timing tests, and my belief that it directly correlates to the voiceover problem. That's a fairly typical corporate response, but not very encouraging to me. I really don't enjoy it when they apparently don't take the time to read the input.
#81737 by EA PA
Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 am
sb06794 wrote:If you go to the "Ooma Telo 45073 Release Notes" (our current Telo firmware version) here:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11265&p=78546&hilit=45073#p78546
you will see the statement:
"reduced latency on PureVoice adaptive redundancy calls (should be about 80-100 msec less then before)"
Also notice that the reduced latency statement is the very first item mentioned in the release notes. That tells me that their technical support people are well aware of the delay problem and are trying to fix it. What's needed for the future firmware upgrades is further reduction in delay of 400 msec or more.
Stu
P.S. This is Ooma's explanation of "Adaptive Redundancy": "Packet loss is the enemy of VoIP – it can cause voice to sound stuttered or garbled. Ooma can detect packet loss on your Internet connection before you even hear it and automatically deploy redundant packets to boost the clarity of your phone call."

This statement combines "Purevoice" which is only applicable to the use of OOMA on both sides using handset with "adaptive redundancy" which is a packet loss reduction technique. The point is that the delay will only be reduced for OOMA to OOMA calls with handset as I read this. Second, I have no packet loss and there really should be none, so I cant see how there would be a flat statement about reduced latency relative to packet loss unless this adaptive redundancy was creating issues in itself.
#81738 by EA PA
Fri May 20, 2011 6:43 am
vicw wrote:Thanks, EA PA.

Incidentally, I got a rather long response back from my inquiry to Ooma this morning. It was a copy/paste list of everything I need to do, ignoring the specifics of my input,

Is there anything worth posting?
#81740 by vicw
Fri May 20, 2011 6:53 am
EA PA wrote:
vicw wrote:Thanks, EA PA.

Incidentally, I got a rather long response back from my inquiry to Ooma this morning. It was a copy/paste list of everything I need to do, ignoring the specifics of my input,

Is there anything worth posting?

I don't see anything new in it, but they didn't swear me to secrecy, so I'll just paste the main content of it here, with apologies for using up so many electrons and space. What I really wanted is for them to answer the actual question I posted about the echo timing, but there is none of that in here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Ooma Customer Care!

I am sorry to hear about the troubles. There are different factors that can cause a call quality issue on your line. For us to know that that is and to be able to resolve the problem, please follow the steps listed below.

1. What's the current setup that you have with your network? Is it modem > Ooma > router, modem > router > Ooma, or integrated modem/router > ooma? If the current setup is modem > router > Ooma, you may need to change it to modem > Ooma > router. If integrated modem/router > ooma, you have to make sure that all the ports being used by the Ooma device are open from your router. You can get the list from http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... ce%20ports.

2. Check the current speed, jitter and packet loss. You can run a speed test using http://www.speedtest.net and jitter and packet loss test using http://www.pingtest.net. Please take note of the results that you are getting.

The minimum requirement speed for the Ooma device to work without any call quality issues would be 384kbps download and 256kbps upload speed. For the jitter, it should be less than 5ms and the packet loss should be at 0%. If the result does not meet the minimum requirement, you may need to contact your internet service provider to have those adjusted. If it does, please proceed to step 3.

3. Once you have determined that the speed and jitter requirements were met, try to adjust the Quality of Service (QOS) from your Ooma device. To do that, connect a computer to the Home port your Ooma device then on the computer, access setup.ooma.com or 172.27.35.1 from a browser. Once you're on the setup ooma page, click on advance and look for Quality Of Service. On the one that says Upstream, put 85% of your upload internet speed converted to kbps and 15% of the download internet speed also converted to kbps then click on update.

4. After getting the confirmation that parameters have been updated, turn off your modem, router (if you have one) and your Ooma device. After two minutes, turn the modem on first and once it's ready, turn on the next device. Once everything is back on, try to make a test call and see if that works. If not, proceed to step 5.

5. Some call quality issue can be caused by the connection. Try to replace the ethernet cords and phone cord that you are using. You can also try to replace the phone connected to the ooma device with another type of phone. And try to move the Ooma device away from other electronic devices.

If you have further questions or require additional clarification, please write me back and I will respond to you as quickly as possible, usually the same day. Your satisfaction is important to me, and I will make sure we bring this to resolution consistent with your expectations. If it’s more convenient, you can also visit our support website https://www.ooma.com/support and check out our wide variety of helpful articles that may answer any additional questions that might come up in the future.

Thank you for choosing Ooma!
#81741 by horsecore
Fri May 20, 2011 6:59 am
^^ Sounds about right...I got the same 'schpeal' from Ooma support too. Ultimately, they finally admitted that the delay was due to a carrier problem, which they were trying to address with said carrier, but the carrier refuses to admit anything is wrong.

:x
#81743 by EA PA
Fri May 20, 2011 7:09 am
15% DL speed for QoS? What is this about?
#81745 by tomcat
Fri May 20, 2011 7:16 am
vicw wrote:Since the 909 number is public, maybe someone with a landline phone handy could run the same timing test to it to see if it always has that excessively high echo timing, or if it occurs solely through Ooma. Seems to me that would be very helpful.

Just an FYI...

I ran the test twice on our POTS line at work this morning. The first time I had 474ms and on the second test I had 457ms. I use this line everyday and have never noticed even the slightest hint of any latency on it.
#81746 by sb06794
Fri May 20, 2011 7:26 am
EA PA wrote:
sb06794 wrote:If you go to the "Ooma Telo 45073 Release Notes" (our current Telo firmware version) here:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11265&p=78546&hilit=45073#p78546
you will see the statement:
"reduced latency on PureVoice adaptive redundancy calls (should be about 80-100 msec less then before)"
Also notice that the reduced latency statement is the very first item mentioned in the release notes. That tells me that their technical support people are well aware of the delay problem and are trying to fix it. What's needed for the future firmware upgrades is further reduction in delay of 400 msec or more.
Stu
P.S. This is Ooma's explanation of "Adaptive Redundancy": "Packet loss is the enemy of VoIP – it can cause voice to sound stuttered or garbled. Ooma can detect packet loss on your Internet connection before you even hear it and automatically deploy redundant packets to boost the clarity of your phone call."

This statement combines "Purevoice" which is only applicable to the use of OOMA on both sides using handset with "adaptive redundancy" which is a packet loss reduction technique. The point is that the delay will only be reduced for OOMA to OOMA calls with handset as I read this. Second, I have no packet loss and there really should be none, so I cant see how there would be a flat statement about reduced latency relative to packet loss unless this adaptive redundancy was creating issues in itself.

EA PA,
I agree. Looking at their statement more carefully, it appears that PureVoice HD in conjunction with Adaptive Redundancy may have caused additional latency that they reduced in the last Telo firmware upgrade. To get PureVoice and Adaptive Redundancy out of the picture entirely, has anyone tried using the full VOIP Codec G.711 by dialing *98 before trying the loopback pencil tap test?
Stu
#81747 by EA PA
Fri May 20, 2011 7:28 am
OOOO - awesome idea - NO I did not do this - great follow-on thought! I wish I had my box with me. Tonight for sure. Can try with *99 also - the echo cancellation just for more data. PROJECT.... :D
#81748 by vicw
Fri May 20, 2011 7:37 am
sb06794 wrote:... has anyone tried using the full VOIP Codec G.711 by dialing *98 before trying the loopback pencil tap test?
Stu

Just tried it - got 870-882 ms delay.