This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#81646 by lbmofo
Wed May 18, 2011 8:28 pm
This is pretty interesting.

Calling the 909-390-0003 number, I got below from a while back:

Ooma Hub 470ms
AT&T Blackberry Bold 560ms
AT&T iPhone 3G 550ms
Ooma iPhone app via WiFi 470ms
Ooma iPhone app via 3G 900ms

I just got another reading and I am getting ~850 ms. Using another VoIP service, I am getting ~960 ms range. Yet, I am not experiencing any difficulties in conversations. Could this 909-390-0003 number be a bad test?
#81647 by marcaronson408
Wed May 18, 2011 8:38 pm
lbmofo wrote:This is pretty interesting.

Calling the 909-390-0003 number, I got below from a while back:

Ooma Hub 470ms
AT&T Blackberry Bold 560ms
AT&T iPhone 3G 550ms
Ooma iPhone app via WiFi 470ms
Ooma iPhone app via 3G 900ms

I just got another reading and I am getting ~850 ms. Using another VoIP service, I am getting ~960 ms range. Yet, I am not experiencing any difficulties in conversations. Could this 909-390-0003 number be a bad test?


FWIW -- I get a measure of 450MS when I call that number from GV via my OBI 110 box. I also ran a test with someone and I am definitely experienced lag.
#81655 by EA PA
Thu May 19, 2011 3:53 am
lbmofo - I got 500 mSec from cell and 800 - 900 mSec via telo. Do you have another number we can test with? And I, as you, do not hear much of a delay when telo in use.

Also, does anyone in here NOT have this delay difference between numbers?

Latest data;
909 number:
Cell - Verizon: 500 mSec
Dect 6.0 : 810 mSec
Handset: 900 mSec

925 Inside Number:
Dect 6.0 : 360 mSec
Handset: 400 mSec
Last edited by EA PA on Thu May 19, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
#81656 by thunderbird
Thu May 19, 2011 4:09 am
Info only:
The Ooma Chronic Audio Delay Problem, that some Ooma users are cursed with, is the longest ongoing and most difficult Ooma VoIP phone system problem to date.

I tried to review posts that had small successes with the Audio Delay problem.

A few people said that replacing their phone with DECT 6 phones helped. But we pretty much know now that if an isolation test is accomplished with an old corded phone, and there is no improvement, a new phone system won’t help.

I remember one older post that said that they replaced their Ooma Telo under warranty, and that helped. But I’ve searched the forum a few times and can’t find that post, so that idea is up in the air, and it was only one person that said it helped.

Several people said that adjusting their Ooma device’s Quality of Service settings helped?

The one common thread is the Audacity sound recorder tests that show that when calling within the Ooma system, the delay is almost acceptable, while calling an outside number, out through a legacy carrier, for some people, the delay is extremely excessive.

This problem is probably an individual problem like the I/they can’t hear you/me problem was. That means every individual person having this problem has to contact Ooma and keep after Ooma until their Individual delay problem is solved.

Don’t expect to let others battle with Ooma Customer Service and when their problem has been resolved, that your problem will be resolved also. Each person suffering the Ooma Chronic Audio Delay Problem must contact Ooma Customer Service with their individual delay problem.


Most important, if you have a success, let us all know.
#81659 by nn5i
Thu May 19, 2011 6:12 am
lbmofo wrote:I am not experiencing any difficulties in conversations. Could this 909-390-0003 number be a bad test?

Audio delay is a problem for people whose conversations include rapid exchanges without pauses. For people who wait for the other person to finish, it is much less a problem. Perhaps it is only that you and your friends are more courteous than other people. I applaud this.
#81660 by tomcat
Thu May 19, 2011 6:35 am
Just a thought here...

After looking at some articles this morning that referenced 909-390-0003, it seems that this number is used for testing audio quality with no mention of it being used for testing delay. If that is the case then it would make sense that there may be some delay purposely added before the echo is returned so that the caller can listen to the quality of the returned sound without talking over him/her self.

This could explain why delay isn't as noticeable to some even though the test indicates a high delay.
#81661 by vicw
Thu May 19, 2011 7:09 am
nn5i wrote:
lbmofo wrote:I am not experiencing any difficulties in conversations. Could this 909-390-0003 number be a bad test?

Audio delay is a problem for people whose conversations include rapid exchanges without pauses. For people who wait for the other person to finish, it is much less a problem. Perhaps it is only that you and your friends are more courteous than other people. I applaud this.

Yes, we uber-courteous types (you and I - not to sure about that other guy) are probably less impacted, but eventually some has to speak, and that's when we experience the delay inducing, and frustrating speakover shows most for me.
#81662 by EA PA
Thu May 19, 2011 7:18 am
Moderator link for 909 number:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

Moderator link to 925 number:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&p=72898&hilit=0082#p72898

Would seem self defeating for OOMA to recommend a number with a built in delay to measure and then report as an issue..!?!? :?
#81663 by tomcat
Thu May 19, 2011 7:53 am
EA PA wrote:Moderator link for 909 number:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

Moderator link to 925 number:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&p=72898&hilit=0082#p72898

Would seem self defeating for OOMA to recommend a number with a built in delay to measure and then report as an issue..!?!? :?

Yes, I agree. But, that server is run by people outside of ooma and ooma may not be aware of any changes to that system.

Like I said, it was just a thought hoping to shed some light on the higher delay with that number. :(
#81665 by EA PA
Thu May 19, 2011 8:04 am
tomcat wrote:
EA PA wrote:Moderator link for 909 number:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&start=30#p67874

Moderator link to 925 number:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&p=72898&hilit=0082#p72898

Would seem self defeating for OOMA to recommend a number with a built in delay to measure and then report as an issue..!?!? :?

Yes, I agree. But, that server is run by people outside of ooma and ooma may not be aware of any changes to that system.

Like I said, it was just a thought hoping to shed some light on the higher delay with that number. :(


Yikes!! Self inflicted wound? TC you have any other numbers we can test to? I was thinking about calling a friend on the left coast and asking them to do a speaker phone thing to see if I can get any data using this archaic technique..Ill have to bang the phone with my shoe rather than pencil - but who knows it may work

edit: nice find by the way - just saw your unhappy face...LOL.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests