This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#79200 by Steve10
Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 pm
Okay......I've done everthing I can think of based upon the countless posts I've read regarding the call quality issues. Please provide any sugestions!
Here's my situation:
1) Ooma setup is: Cable modem > Ooma Telo > Netgear WNR2000v3 router
2) Ooma Telo is located 4ft from modem, computer, router, Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone base
3) Modem power readings are 37.9 dBmV upstream and 3.9dBmV downstream with a SNR of 37.5dB
4) QOS in Ooma is 910 kbps on the upstream and 0 (disabled) on the downstream
5) My downstream call quality is usually weak...as low as 30%, but can go as high as 90%. On the upstream side, I've never seen a result below 63%. One thing I've noticed is that my downstream quality seems to go down (sometimes, but not always) when the download speeds spike higher (I have Charter and they use "power boost").

Here's my latest result from phonepower as of today:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 18405320 bps
Upload speed: 1078368 bps
Download quality of service: 31 %
Upload quality of service: 65 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 46 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 21 ms
Average round trip time to server: 24 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 32800000bps
Route concurrency: 1.7820934
Download TCP forced idle: 37 %
Maximum route speed: 24965712bps

Here's a result from 3/30/11 when my download speed was slower:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6580672 bps
Upload speed: 1075856 bps
Download quality of service: 85 %
Upload quality of service: 75 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 5 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 24 ms
Average round trip time to server: 29 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6580672bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 21845000bps
#79201 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:16 pm
Everything seemingly looks okay.

Have you tried plugging in a wired phone directly to Telo's phone port to test call quality?
#79202 by EA PA
Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:23 pm
QoS look low, but can you describe your poor quality symptoms? Is it a new installation? Has it ever worked correctly?

Have you tried not using house wiring and just dedicating one phone into the OOMA phone jack? And then changing to a second phone to eliminate the possbility that it is house wiring or a bad phone.

Do you have any connection into OOMA Wall jack?

How about the OOMA setup configuration - besides QoS settings are you using "Use Built-In MAC Address" ?

How are you testing to determine you have bad quality? Is it calls out? In? Both? to Cell phone or landline? Echo, Delay, Drop outs? fail to connect? No ringtone?

Do you have another modem you can swap out and try? Did you try without the router?

Are all the Telo indications blue? Do you have the new firmware version 45073?

The more detail on symptoms you provide, the more ideas you will get from the forum.
#79203 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:16 am
Steve10:
EA PA is right; you need to post you exact QoS symptoms.

Follows is a couple of general things that always seems to help with Quality of Service problems:
First:
I would turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause conflicts with your modem or router, by accessing Ooma Setup by typing in http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser's window. The Ooma Setup window opens. Click on Internet Settings, go down to INTERNET port MAC Address: and click on Use Built-IN MAC Address button. Click on Update.

Next:
Click on Advanced at the Left side to access Quality of Service. Set the Downstream and Upstream Quality of Service settings, both to about 80 % of measured Download and Upload settings as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update.

Some people who were having Quality of Service problems, because of a "bug" that existed in the Ooma Telo Firmware before the latest Ooma Telo firmware update, will set both the Downstream and Upstream Quality of Service settings to double the measured Download and Upload speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. If Ooma QoS improves, they leave it there; unless other Home LAN devices have problems. Than they start bringing the settings back to near 80 %.

This should help with your Ooma Quality of Service. Note: 80 percent is just a starting point and you may have to make adjustment down or up for each reading, to allow everything on your home's LAN to function properly together. But first get you Ooma phone service to function properly.

If you post your exact Ooma phone conversation QoS symptoms, someone can post more suggestions.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
#79204 by EA PA
Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:27 am
dont you guys ever sleep?
#79205 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 am
EA PA wrote:dont you guys ever sleep?

I'm still in China and have day night turn around problems. In China it seems that everyone sleeps on and off during the day and night anyway, so in between sleep, visits or tours, I take a peak at the Ooma forum.

I've noticed huge construction projects here in China. New railroads, high speed electric trains, new four lane freeways, new highways, new drainage, new streets right up to the farmer's back yard, new housing, new high rise housing going on mile after mile, new high rise office buildings, new buildings that cover a city block, new resorts with many five star hotels along with a new airplane seaport at the ocean, to bring/return customers. China's government is spending their way out of recession. It appears that the US government is cutting our way into recession?
#79207 by EA PA
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:26 am
thunderbird wrote:

I'm still in China and have day night turn around problems. In China it seems that everyone sleeps on and off during the day and night anyway, so in between sleep, visits or tours, I take a peak at the Ooma forum.

I've noticed huge construction projects here in China. New railroads, high speed electric trains, new four lane freeways, new highways, new drainage, new streets right up to the farmer's back yard, new housing, new high rise housing going on mile after mile, new high rise office buildings, new buildings that cover a city block, new resorts with many five star hotels along with a new airplane seaport at the ocean, to bring/return customers. China's government is spending their way out of recession. It appears that the US government is cutting our way into recession?

deleted last - probably PI

How long you there for?
#79208 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:28 am
EA PA wrote:
thunderbird wrote:

How long you there for?

We expect to start back next week.

I know what you mean when you say by passing time causing problems with infrastructure. China was the first to install Internet to anyone's home that wanted it, starting in the late nineties. Internet was installed even up into the farm house that didn't have windows installed. But now years later, if I loose my Internet connection here in China, I have to fish and fish for a solid IP address connection. Also some of the first Interstate highways that were built in the late nineties are now being rebuilt.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
#79209 by EA PA
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:31 am
Must be an interesting experience. Have fun.
#79219 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:55 am
EA PA, too bad I missed your "non PC" comment. Were you talking about Chinese firedrill? :D