This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#78645 by howardc64
Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:54 pm
Have a OOMA HUB and setup behind the DSL modem+router (3M down, 1M up). OOMA's voice quality is lower than previous land line. Have period short blank periods (1/2 second drops) and voice quality is very raspy.

Made an international call to Japan last night. OOMA voice quality was poor and nearly unusable.

Switched to googlevoice on my laptop for the call. Voice quality was perfect, probably better than any land line I have ever used. No short blanks, no raspy voice quality. No QOS to fiddle with.

Is there a reason OOMA voice quality can't match googlevoice's quality? Same WiFi HUB, both installed behind the HUB, Same ISP etc...
#78651 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:23 pm
howardc64 wrote:Switched to googlevoice on my laptop for the call. Voice quality was perfect, probably better than any land line I have ever used. No short blanks, no raspy voice quality. No QOS to fiddle with.

Is there a reason OOMA voice quality can't match googlevoice's quality? Same WiFi HUB, both installed behind the HUB, Same ISP etc...

Welcome to Ooma. I found GV voice quality to be flaky at best but YMMV applies here I suppose.
Not sure why the same internet connection doesn't yield similar results for Ooma. Go take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=10023