This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#78496 by CaptainKen
Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:05 pm
Voice quality isn't very good, I think the slow upload speed might have something to do with it. The sound is sometime garbled and all run together, kind of like an old record running at the wrong speed. Also I sometimes hear other very faint conversations in the background. The poor reception is mostly on my end, the other person seems to be able to hear me well. I have the Ooma directly behind the modem and before the router. I was playing around with the setup page at http://setup.ooma.com/ to see what might work best. I currently have Upstream Internet Speed set to 384kbps and Downstream Internet Speed set to 12000kbps. Based on the below number what do you think would work best for me?

Speed results from http://www.speedtest.net/

Ping 55ms
Download Speed 20.40Mbps
Upload Speed 0.31Mbps



Got the following setting from http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6285016 bps
Upload speed: 269496 bps
Download quality of service: 77 %
Upload quality of service: 58 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 83 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 110 ms
Average round trip time to server: 114 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 20800000bps
Route concurrency: 3.3094585
Download TCP forced idle: 78 %
Maximum route speed: --
#78505 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:41 am
CaptainKen:
A good starting place is to set Quality of Service Upstream/Down stream settings in Ooma Setup to about 80% of Upload/Download measured test results with http://www.speedtest.net/. This setting may be just a starting point. You may have to adjust slightly, up or down, with adjustment numbers according to you home's LAN requirements. Access Ooma Setup by typing in http://172.27.35.1 in your comuter's browser.
#78515 by danlisman
Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:02 am
CaptainKen,
I have not personally seen any noticable improvements by playing with Telo QoS settngs. I spent many days experimenting with 80% numbers and 0 number settings and high number settings. I finally changed back to Telo default 384 and 0.
Recently I discovered that having a GOOD tested IP address DOES make a noticible difference for me. The lower left corner of first screen in http://pingtest.net/ and http://speedtest.net/ both show YOUR IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Make note of address.
Turn modem off.
Wait 30 seconds
Turn modem on.
Run your test again and make sure IP address is now changed.
If your IP address did not change, you may have to leave modem off longer. Myabe 5 minutes or maybe overnight.

Do this several times until you get an IP address that has GOOD results.
I would bet that your ISP provider has promised much higher upload speed than you are getting.
I run pingtest until I get an IP address that shows "grade A" line quality.

Make note of your IP address, because when it changes, you will need to loop through modem cycling until you find another GOOD IP address.

This solution seems to work for me. Please let me know if it helps you.
Also, *98 before calling phone number with Telo has helped some misc problems(*99 sometimes get echo)
Dan :)
#78517 by EA PA
Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:56 am
I'm with danlisman on this one. I spent hours and hours yesterday testing UL QoS numbers (DL disabled at 0 - not required for M/OOMA/R configuration as I understand. I started at twice UL measured. Ran 3 tests @ each setting and checked graphs. I was looking for stable / consistent graph results for UL / DL speed and jitter / delays mostly. I dropped a few hundred kbps and retested until I got to within 100 kbps of UL measured. I dropped 20 kbps per test down to about the default. It seemed that my sweet spot was about 95% of UL measured. My measured is about 493 kbps +/-. My as left setting was 470 kbps.

When I finally decided on this value and set it back, the test results were different than the original tests at this level.

There is a lot more going on here than just this setting. This is a very dynamic system. Any value between default and measured UL speed is probably the best. However I saw no appreciable and also repeatable changes of significance.

To reset modem with cold boot, I have a reset button and no internal battery. If you have battery it will have to be pulled out.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests