This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#77983 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 am
Information only:

My Internet provider recently increased my Internet speeds. With the increase of Internet bandwidths, I started having a low volume echo and a large delay.

I have my Ooma device connected behind my router.

I had been using Ooma’s default Downstream/Upstream Quality of service settings in the Ooma Setup pages.

Note: Ooma Setup pages are accessed by connecting a network cable from the Ooma device’s Home port, to a computer’s wired LAN port, restarting the computer and typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window.

First I reset the Ooma Setup Quality of Service Downstream/Upstream settings both to Zero and rebooted the Ooma device. After testing there seemed to be no change, with low volume echo and large delay remaining.

Next I reset the Ooma Setup Quality of Service Downstream/Upstream settings both to double the measured Download/Upload speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/, and rebooted the Ooma device. After testing again, my Ooma phone system has returned to normal without any echo or delay.

I will report back if echo and delay returns.
#77988 by EA PA
Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:19 am
Thunderbird,

Approximately what speeds did they increase from and to?
Did they notify you that they were increasing speeds?
#77989 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:50 am
EA PA wrote:Thunderbird,

Approximately what speeds did they increase from and to?
Did they notify you that they were increasing speeds?

Download from 3000 kbps to 5000 kbps, Upload from 600 kbps to 3100 kbps.

My Internet provider gave no notice. My speeds were always lower than advertized by the Internet provider, so they just brought the speeds up to near where they belonged.

I just noticed the low volume echo and large delay, and started looking at home for reasons first.

I had made several calls during the last few days in the US, which were okay after the last Ooma Setup pages QoS adjustments. But the real test was that my wife made several calls to China this morning, that were loud and clear, with no noise, static, echo or delay.
#77992 by EA PA
Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:14 am
WOW - 5K down and 3.1K up?? Thats a great UL speed. Im still suffering along at 0.5M UL with 6M DL (as advertised, as the ultimate internet speeds). But it seems to work OK with OOMA coincident with gaming.

Anyway, I was curious because I have seen some posts about issues with enormous speeds like 100 M. I was thinking there might have been some info in those posts that may help. But that does not look like the issue, in fact it sounds like case closed... :D
#78384 by Keriann
Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:43 am
I will report back if echo and delay returns.[/quote]

Are you echo problems resolved or have they returned? Having the same issue here so I'm going to try your fix; doubling speeds in QoS. Easy enough to test.
#78411 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:21 pm
Thunderbird wrote: I will report back if echo and delay returns.

Keriann wrote: Are you echo problems resolved or have they returned? Having the same issue here so I'm going to try your fix; doubling speeds in QoS. Easy enough to test.

No return of echo or delay so far.
#78578 by cjones78
Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm
Hi there!
I've had an Ooma Telo pretty much since it came out in September/October 2009 and it's been working perfectly until last month. Now when I make calls, the person on the other end of the line hears an echo of everything I say.

I just went to the http://www.speedtest.net website and checked my speeds:

Download speed is 63.09 Mbps
Upload speed is 11.65 Mbps

So, what I think you're saying is that I should try setting the QoS in my Ooma setup to be the following:?

Upstream internet speed: 22000 kbps
Downstream internet speed: 126000 kbps

Does that look correct?
#78580 by horsecore
Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:14 pm
cjones78 wrote:Hi there!
I've had an Ooma Telo pretty much since it came out in September/October 2009 and it's been working perfectly until last month. Now when I make calls, the person on the other end of the line hears an echo of everything I say.

I just went to the http://www.speedtest.net website and checked my speeds:

So, what I think you're saying is that I should try setting the QoS in my Ooma setup to be the following:?

Upstream internet speed: 22000 kbps
Downstream internet speed: 126000 kbps

Does that look correct?

:o :shock:
#78581 by cjones78
Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:34 pm
horsecore wrote:Download speed is 63.09 Mbps

:o :shock:

Hahaha! We live in an area where Comcast has upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0, so we usually get somewhere between 60-75 Mbps download speed, although a few times I've seen it as high as 82 Mbps!
#78582 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:46 pm
First check and see if you have latest Ooma Telo 45073 Fimware. If you do, your problems may have been corrected by the update. Dial *#*#001 to hear the firmware version. So test first before making any more changes.

If you still have problems:
If your Ooma device is connected behind your router, set your Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings to zero.

If your Ooma device is connected ahead of your router, set your Ooma Setup Upstream Downstream Quality of Service settings to about 80 percent of your measured speedtest uplaod download speed. Note: 80 percent is just a starting point. You may have to set your settings up or down to meet you homes LAN requirements.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.