This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#77600 by JasonV
Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:52 am
thunderbird wrote:
JasonV wrote:Upload quality of service: 35 %

Upload quality of service: 35 % is very low.

The first thing to try.

Only If your Ooma device is connected dirctly behind your modem do the following:

I used to have my Telo behind the router, but had problems. Since my router is very good, I used the following instructions.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5876

Do you think Comcast has anything to do with my issues? To me, it seems if the internet isn't very stable. My reasoning is that I get good results sometimes and other times very bad.
#77604 by elight60
Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 am
Thunderbird:

Thanks for your help.

I've run the Speed Test. The Upload Speed was pretty consistent at 2.4. The download speed varied from 7.18-17.02. The four test average was about 13.

I set the QoS to 1600 and 10, 400.

Here are my new test results. I ran it twice. The results are very different. I can rent a modem from Comcast for few dollars to see if it is the Zoom causing the problem.

Again, thanks for your help.

Elliott

VoIP test statistics - TEST 1
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 3.6 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5296760 bps
Upload speed: 2479952 bps
Download quality of service: 97 %
Upload quality of service: 73 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 38 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 86 ms
Average round trip time to server: 89 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 26400000bps
Route concurrency: 4.984179
Download TCP forced idle: 78 %
Maximum route speed: 6096272bps
==============================================================
VoIP test statistics TEST 2
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 4.8 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3916976 bps
Upload speed: 2468680 bps
Download quality of service: 40 %
Upload quality of service: 73 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 789 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 86 ms
Average round trip time to server: 88 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 29600000bps
Route concurrency: 7.55685
Download TCP forced idle: 80 %
Maximum route speed: 6096272bps
#77607 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 am
elight60 wrote:
I can rent a modem from Comcast for few dollars to see if it is the Zoom causing the problem.

Renting the modem would be my next troubleshooting step.
#77610 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:34 am
JasonV wrote:I used to have my Telo behind the router, but had problems. Since my router is very good, I used the following instructions.

Some things you could try:

Access your Ooma setup and set both the Downstream and Upstream Quality of service settings to zero, update and test it with speedtest and make phone calls. Make sure you reboot your modem, router and Ooma device each time you make a change.

If that doesn't work, Test, connecting your Ooma device directly behind your Modem. Set the Up Stream and downstream Quality of service settings as I posted previously. Also while you are there, turn off Mac Address spoofing per my previous post. Make sure you reboot your modem and Ooma device each time you make a change.

Next if that doesn't work and you rent your modem, exchange your modem for another one and test.
If you own your modem make sure your modem's firmware is up to date. If that doesn't work and if you own your modem, see if you can borrow someone else's modem for testing, or purchase a new one. If it doesn't work in most cases you can return it. Check first before purchasing.

Test with http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ and check for packet loss and upload speed each time you do a test.

Report back to let us know how you are doing.
#77622 by EA PA
Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:04 pm
murphy wrote:Connect to

http://192.168.100.1

which is a web page inside of the modem.
Look for the signal levels for downstream and upstream.
Report back with the values.

Go here

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.htm

and run the test. Click on the Advanced tab and copy and paste the results back to here.

I have been on http://192.168.100.1 to test modem signals before. I remember having problems connecting to it, but I finally got through. I am trying again and cannot connect from either Chrome or Explorer, I have booted my PC and cleaned out temp internet files etc. - still cannot connect. Any words of wisdom?
#77630 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:11 pm
EA PA wrote:I have been on http://192.168.100.1 to test modem signals before. I remember having problems connecting to it, but I finally got through. I am trying again and cannot connect from either Chrome or Explorer, I have booted my PC and cleaned out temp internet files etc. - still cannot connect. Any words of wisdom?

Connect your computer directly to your modem. After Modem and computer reboots:

Go to computer click start menu, click on "Run". A dos window opens. Type ipconfig in command line.

The IP address number that you see, will be the IP number to use for accessing the modem, except the last number will be one, http://x.x.x.1, or some times 2.
#77631 by EA PA
Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:24 pm
thunderbird wrote:
EA PA wrote:I have been on http://192.168.100.1 to test modem signals before. I remember having problems connecting to it, but I finally got through. I am trying again and cannot connect from either Chrome or Explorer, I have booted my PC and cleaned out temp internet files etc. - still cannot connect. Any words of wisdom?

Connect your computer directly to your modem. After Modem and computer reboots:

Go to computer click start menu, click on "Run". A dos window opens. Type ipconfig in command line.

The IP address number that you see, will be the IP number to use for accessing the modem, except the last number will be one, http://x.x.x.1, or some times 2.

Thunderbird, OK thanks. Im going to try one more thing and if that does not work Ill do as you suggest. It worked about a month ago during initial testing, nothing has changed so I am somewhat confused. I think I had to boot the modem each time I ran the test. Its a Cicso CM100. Ill let you know how it goes - thanks again.
#77641 by Davesworld
Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:21 pm
elight60 wrote:Boot Files:

I'm not pretending to be an expert, but cable provider can set a modem in many ways by changing the boot file that is sent to the modem during start up. Various parameters, including QoS and packet priority are set for VoiP and gaming than for a default configuration. My guess is that if I took Comcast's phone service, my boot file would be different. Of course, that depends on whether Comcast would provide me with good phone service etc. You can read a lot about how modems work and what bootfiles do by searching the internet.

Elliott

No, Comcast runs their VOIP on a separate network from the internet so it's apples and oranges.
#77642 by Davesworld
Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:39 pm
elight60 wrote:Boot Files:

I'm not pretending to be an expert, but cable provider can set a modem in many ways by changing the boot file that is sent to the modem during start up. Various parameters, including QoS and packet priority are set for VoiP and gaming than for a default configuration. My guess is that if I took Comcast's phone service, my boot file would be different. Of course, that depends on whether Comcast would provide me with good phone service etc. You can read a lot about how modems work and what bootfiles do by searching the internet.

Elliott

Why would you want that to be in the modem itself? The only way it would help is if it instructed Comcast to prioritize RTP packets upstream of the slowest link in the download direction since we cannot control QOS in the download direction with our routers, only the upload QOS is controllable by our own QOS be it in our router or whatever. It is only the RTP packets in the port ranges between 10000 and 20000 that make a difference how they are handled in relation to call quality. The sip signalling is done over VPN with ooma but RTP is what carries the voice and uses all the bandwidth. SIP uses about 500 bytes peak and is constant whether on a call or not. Many traffic shapers no longer do anything to the download direction since we are downstream of the slowest point, you cannot prioritize which traffic gets priority after it has passed the slowest part of the link which is the connection between you and the ISP.
#77653 by JasonV
Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:47 am
thunderbird wrote:
JasonV wrote:I used to have my Telo behind the router, but had problems. Since my router is very good, I used the following instructions.

Some things you could try:

Access your Ooma setup and set both the Downstream and Upstream Quality of service settings to zero, update and test it with speedtest and make phone calls. Make sure you reboot your modem, router and Ooma device each time you make a change.

If that doesn't work, Test, connecting your Ooma device directly behind your Modem. Set the Up Stream and downstream Quality of service settings as I posted previously. Also while you are there, turn off Mac Address spoofing per my previous post. Make sure you reboot your modem and Ooma device each time you make a change.

Next if that doesn't work and you rent your modem, exchange your modem for another one and test.
If you own your modem make sure your modem's firmware is up to date. If that doesn't work and if you own your modem, see if you can borrow someone else's modem for testing, or purchase a new one. If it doesn't work in most cases you can return it. Check first before purchasing.

Test with http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ and check for packet loss and upload speed each time you do a test.

Report back to let us know how you are doing.

First, my statement above is incorrect. The correct statement would be that " I used to have my Telo behind my modem", but I think Thunderbird fiqured that out. I will try it with different settings.

Davesworld: So there is no need to contact Comcast for different settings (bootfile), right?