This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#77382 by EricJRW
Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:53 am
thunderbird wrote:If anyone is concerned about IPv6 as it relates to our homes Internet equipment, and if you can read and understand the information provided at the Internet site below, you will understand that what lbmofo said about not having a concern for ten years is probably true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

In addition:

Window XP and above is already IPv6 capable.

Many modem and router manufactures will be able to issue a firmware update for their equipment, to add IPv6 128 bit addressing.

Many router manufactures are already or will be selling IPv6 128 bit addressing routers.

You touched on the subject that I think is the real answer.

I was thinking that for devices that don't support IPV6 the router is going to be the answer. Maybe user-configured on a per-port basis, or maybe as a function of DHCP, the router will determine "Hmm, this device does not do IPV6" and thus do the translation internally. I'm sure there will be a slew of devices that don't do IPV6, and if it's still a problem when the time comes, our routers will be the answer.

I doubt the statement, "As I recollect, most existing consumer equipment will have to be discarded." is true for the reason I stated above.
#77404 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 am
alternety wrote:The hostility was because you simply did not answer the question (which you presumably know) and instead told me in your opinion I don't need an answer. That is why. If you did not want to answer the question asked; why don't you just not answer? I did not ask for a timeline as presented in an article or otherwise.

alternety, I gather you still haven't seen the link that I provided in my original reply? LOL

lbmofo wrote:You won't have to worry for the next 10 years most likely.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10691
#77427 by alternety
Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:46 pm
lbmofo - I did indeed not see your link in the first post. Why I don't know; and then thought you were later referring to the other link you provided. My response was unfounded and rude. My sincere apology.
#77429 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:52 pm
alternety wrote:lbmofo - I did indeed not see your link in the first post. Why I don't know; and then thought you were later referring to the other link you provided. My response was unfounded and rude. My sincere apology.

No problem at all alternety. I think my comment was a bit abrupt and should have included some kind of intro to the link. ;)
#89261 by murphy
Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:40 am
thunderbird wrote:It's been very quite for IPV6. Has any progress been made in this area?

To my knowledge no ISP provides native IPv6 for residential use.
The hacks like 6to4 and 6RD are slower than IPv4 because they require connection to one or two servers in the country to work.
Only DOCSIS 3 modems require the inclusion of IPv6 support. Until the majority of the DOCSIS 1.1 and 2 modems reach end of life there will be no push for IPv6 support. Most residential routers in use today do not support IPv6. Comcast terminated their 6RD trial on June 30, 2011. Once World IPv6 day (June 8, 2011), which proved the viability of IPv6, had passed the mention of IPv6 disappeared from the news. IMHO IPv6 will not be in general use within the US for many years.