This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#79636 by Carol
Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:52 pm
Of all the helpful suggstions I've received, I think the one suggesting seperating the modem/router, the cordless phone and the ooma by 2 to 3 feet was the most beneficial for me. My phone conversations have been much better since I did that. I still test with speedtest/phonepower and my Qos is all over the place, ranging from 31% to 91% on sucessive tests. What's up with that ? And why does putting physical space between my Ooma and my modem/router seem to help? Does the Ooma Telo have some sort of wireless feature to it ?

Overall I'm much happier with my Ooma thanks to the help I've received from the volunteers in this forum. You guys rock ! ! !
#79637 by EA PA
Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:01 pm
Carol wrote:Of all the helpful suggstions I've received, I think the one suggesting seperating the modem/router, the cordless phone and the ooma by 2 to 3 feet was the most beneficial for me. My phone conversations have been much better since I did that. I still test with speedtest/phonepower and my Qos is all over the place, ranging from 31% to 91% on sucessive tests. What's up with that ? And why does putting physical space between my Ooma and my modem/router seem to help? Does the Ooma Telo have some sort of wireless feature to it ?

Overall I'm much happier with my Ooma thanks to the help I've received from the volunteers in this forum. You guys rock ! ! !

Glad to hear that your OOMA working better. The separation of the OOMA and router help me as well I believe. I had mine right next to each other. When I moved them combined with a few other small things like cold booting modem again, it has improved my call reliability. The rollout ofthe new version of firmware has helped even more so far.
#79639 by danlisman
Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:09 pm
EA PA wrote:
Carol wrote:Of all the helpful suggstions I've received, I think the one suggesting seperating the modem/router, the cordless phone and the ooma by 2 to 3 feet was the most beneficial for me. My phone conversations have been much better since I did that. I still test with speedtest/phonepower and my Qos is all over the place, ranging from 31% to 91% on sucessive tests. What's up with that ? And why does putting physical space between my Ooma and my modem/router seem to help? Does the Ooma Telo have some sort of wireless feature to it ?

Glad to hear that your OOMA working better. The separation of the OOMA and router help me as well I believe. I had mine right next to each other. When I moved them combined with a few other small things like cold booting modem again, it has improved my call reliability. The rollout ofthe new version of firmware has helped even more so far.

Separating Ooma Telo and a cordless phone base kinda makes since to me. My cordless phone is totally out of the room, but my modem, Telo, and wireless router are right next to each other. Y'all are suggesting that this could cause problems?? :?
#79640 by EA PA
Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:30 pm
I have been having inconsistent results in testing for a long time as you know. Originally I was testing it with all equipment on a table top. When I installed it into the home infrastructure, the WiFi router was located in close proximity to OOMA. There was another thread that someone had OOMA induced RFI into speakers and some other equipment located next to the OOMA. Interested, I placed similar powered computer speakers next to OOMA to see for myself. When in direct contact with OOMA, and the volume all the way down I could actually (and barely) detect a pulsing - cant remember maybe 1/2 hz or so. Based on that, I moved my OOMA a few feet away, just to make sure. This was in combination with some other things - cold booting router and retesting. etc. Anyway after moving it, OOMA quality seemed to improve. Not perfect but I actually made a few *98 calls that went through with no issue. It can't hurt to remove this as a possibility. It looks like some others are having better quality as well.

Edit: here is the link
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11211&start=0&hilit=speaker

Edit again: another alternative place to locate OOMA, Southsounds RFI safe room
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9547&start=30#p66809
#79839 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:09 am

When I was in China for the last three weeks I had really poor Internet connections and poor QoS for my Ooma Telo, which I took along on this trip.

What I did to solve the low Phonepower QoS readings:

First I ran http://speedtest.phonepower.com/.

If I had poor QoS readings, I ran http://www.speedtest.net/ and recorded the IP address numbers that I saw in the left lower corner of the page.

Than I rebooted the modem to get a new dynamic IP address issued to the modem by the Internet provider.

I ran http://www.speedtest.net/ again and recorded the IP address numbers that I saw in the left lower corner of the page again.
Than I checked and made sure the Internet Provider issued IP address number had changed.

Than I ran http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ again to see if the QoS readings improved.

If the QoS readings didn't improve, I did the above procedure all over again. In my case I had to do this procedure over and over, almost twenty times before I got an IP address issued by the Internet provider, that was satisfactory.

After that the Ooma Telo operated very well in China.

PS: When I was still in China, one time the power went off and I had to go through "the find the best Internet provider IP address procedure", above, all over again.