This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#77050 by webdog2010
Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 am
Sorry guys. I wish I had more to add, but there is nothing special about my setup. Cable>Modem>Ooma>Router, 7mbs down, .5 up. I'm in the Kansas City area and have Internet through Time Warner. The connection has been rock solid for the last few years. Other than the slight delay when using the cordless phones, I haven't been plagued by any of the other problems that some of you are having. I can stream HD content to my Roku while using the phone, no quality issues with either device. I guess I've just been lucky. If I think of anything else that might be useful, I'll be sure to post it.
#77055 by Bill D
Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:17 am
Webdog2010,

If you have the time to test your system, I'm curious, for comparison, exactly what all your delay measurements are using the phone numbers and ping address in my post above.

You can test delay with your vintage non-speakerphone by holding the handset earpiece-end very close to the PC's mic and tap the mouthpiece-end with a pencil. On the Audacity playback, the delay is the time between the big spike from the pencil tap to the small spike back out of the earpiece. That's how I did it. Works well.

This 800 ms delay continues to drive me nuts since it doubled around the start of 2011 for unknown reasons.
#77061 by EA PA
Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:18 am
Bill D wrote:
EA PA wrote:did not solve my issue either

I feel your pain. There must be something we are missing here.

Nice to have company. I seem to have issues slightly different than most are reporting. I do not have the echo issues too bad. Just the delay to connect to cell issue. Ill have to spend some time to try your delay tests you have cited above when I get a chance. Im not sure what else I can do. My standard tests look ok, Im getting no RF interference (did everything but cut the street power), got DECT 6 directly into OOMA, OOMA behind modem, QoS adjusted to a variety of numbers, UPS backed and booted in sequence numerous times - not much left to experiment with. Im sure there is an explanation somewhere but *98 works so Ill stick with it for now I guess.
#77242 by nn5i
Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:19 am
thunderbird wrote:The security measures on DECT are solid, but as I've said before, if you've got the equipment to crack any digital signal, you're probably NASA.

Interesting. I knew NSA and NRO did that sort of work, but never suspected NASA did it too. ;)