This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76975 by danlisman
Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:04 am
Is it possible that the Telo base DECT is continuously "polling" for DECT handsets and continuously rejecting the non-Ooma DECT handsets? Could continuous polling/rejecting cause delays or echos?
Any experts know if something like this is possible?
#76977 by EA PA
Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:29 am
Oh nice - Thunderbird advised trashing my 5.8 Ghz units for a set of DECT 6 - so I did - and now the answer is use the old rotary phones? DOOOOP Thanks Man! (kidding of course) :P

I have been using my DECT 6.0 for a few days now and have seen no difference at all betweeen the DECT 6.0 and the 5.8 Ghz units. Im am directly into the Telo with none of the 5.8 Ghz bases energized, still have the OOMA handset running also.

I still get intermittent one hears / one cannot hear connections to cell phones unless I use the *98 function from both the DECT 6 and handset. Using *98, works pretty well even though its a workaround.

Another interesting thing did happen though this AM. My bride informs me that the phones rang, she picked up OOMA handset and answered it, however the handset kept ringing until the DECT 6 answering machine picked up. I called to try and repeat but could not. I wonder if there is something else going on with the DECT 6 now....stange

Still testing and moving around my QoS. For a goof Ill try my old wired ATT pushbutton antique tonight. Who knew that my phone system could be so full of science projects
#76980 by Bill D
Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:51 am
webdog2010 wrote:I tried to test delay this morning with the WE2554, but without speaker capability I can't pick up the return echo with my microphone.

Webdog2010,

I always test delay with the speakerphone off. Hold the handset earpiece very close to the PC's mic and tap the handset case with a pencil. On the Audacity playback, the time between the big spike from the pencil tap to the small spike back out of the earpiece is the measured delay.

I'm very intrigued by your findings and I'm now "on the hunt" for a vintage phone. I would like to know exactly what all your delay measurements are, so I can compare.

I'm now measuring 800 ms using 909-390-0003 (which is outside of Ooma) and 290 ms using 925-259-0082 (which is inside of Ooma). My ping time to www3.ooma.com from here in Florida is now 100 ms. All these measurements are with my Ooma Hub and Uniden 5.8 GHz phones. Before 2011, my delay, using 909-390-0003 used to always measure 400 ms. Measurements on both my Ooma Hubs here are identical and the sound quality on both, other than delay, is perfect.
#76981 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:53 am
EA PA wrote:Oh nice - Thunderbird advised trashing my 5.8 Ghz units for a set of DECT 6 - so I did - and now the answer is use the old rotary phones? DOOOOP Thanks Man! (kidding of course) :P

lbmofo has the concession for DECT 6 phones. :?
#76983 by EA PA
Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 am
thunderbird wrote:
EA PA wrote:Oh nice - Thunderbird advised trashing my 5.8 Ghz units for a set of DECT 6 - so I did - and now the answer is use the old rotary phones? DOOOOP Thanks Man! (kidding of course) :P

Hmm - lbmofof eh...almost 3K posts also....

How about it...? lbmofo?
#76991 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:10 pm
EA PA wrote:
thunderbird wrote:

Hmm - lbmofof eh...almost 3K posts also....

How about it...? lbmofo?

DECT 6.0, the only way to go.
#76994 by EA PA
Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 pm
Im plugging in my 30 year old ATT pushbutton tonight for a test drive..... Ill post the comparison test results

If superior, my old ATT may be worth something on the OOMA forum.... may be accepting bids - lbmofo first bid? :cool:
#77032 by Bill D
Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:05 pm
Bill D wrote:I'm very intrigued by your findings and I'm now "on the hunt" for a vintage phone. I would like to know exactly what all your delay measurements are, so I can compare.

I'm now measuring 800 ms using 909-390-0003 (which is outside of Ooma) and 290 ms using 925-259-0082 (which is inside of Ooma). My ping time to www3.ooma.com from here in Florida is now 100 ms. All these measurements are with my Ooma Hub and Uniden 5.8 GHz phones. Before 2011, my delay, using 909-390-0003 used to always measure 400 ms. Measurements on both my Ooma Hubs here are identical and the sound quality on both, other than delay, is perfect.

I tracked down a vintage phone (Bell Princess) and re-tested with everything disconnected and turned off except one Ooma Hub connected to the U-verse modem/router. All delays measured the same as above (still at 800 ms). Frustrating.