This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76948 by pennywise2515
Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 pm
I've had the Ooma Telo for about 7 months now with zero issues. All of a sudden both incoming and outgoing calls sound awful from the Ooma line. I can hear the other person fine but my voice is all chopped but and jittery. All Ooma lights are blue, except for voicemail play button is orange, indicating normal status. Once I had the issue I went into my Netgear router and placed the Ooma's MAC address to the highest priority. I'm beginning to think that maybe my phones broke lol. But here is a test I ran based on previous posts.

Here are the results:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6334664 bps
Upload speed: 3774504 bps
Download quality of service: 74 %
Upload quality of service: 73 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 80 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 91 ms
Average round trip time to server: 98 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 3.6623883
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Maximum route speed: --
#76949 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 pm
pennywise2515:
Download quality of service: 74 %
Upload quality of service: 73 %
Both of the above normally run in higher 80s to the lower 90s. But everything else looks good.

How do you have your Ooma configured, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Some times all you have to do is reboot your Modem, than when the Modem is done booting, the Ooma device or Router which ever is next in line, when that's done booting, boot the next device in line. I do mine every Sunday morning without fail as regular maintenance.

When you reset the Ooma Setup MAC address you should have chosen "Use Built-In" to to prevent MAC address spoofing. Ooma MAC address spoofing will sometimes have conflicts with Modem/Routers.

The other thing to try is to call using a single corded phone connected to the phone port of your Ooma device, with nothing else connected.
All cordless phones must be disconnected from power when you try this test, including the cordless phone base. (Certain cordless phone will interfere with Ooma and Wi-Fi, even if the phone line is diconnected from the cordless phone. As long as the cordless phone is still connected to power, QoS problems can occur, caused by the cordless phone system).
#76950 by murphy
Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:09 pm
pennywise2515 wrote:All Ooma lights are blue, except for voicemail play button is orange, indicating normal status.

The voice mail play button should either be blue or blinking orange to indicate unheard voice mail messages.
If it's solid orange something is wrong.
#76970 by pennywise2515
Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:19 am
I managed to fix the issue. It seemed to be a problem with my router. For some reason it no longer would hold a connection from a wireless device unless I changed the SSID and password. I dont know if it had anything to due with the Ooma call quality but its working just as well as it did before