This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104930 by naito
Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:55 pm
I have the Brother MFC-7860DW like a previous poster.

I was not able to fax using *99

After reading thunderbird's post, I removed the *99 and I was able to send faxes successfully.

I just installed a couple more OOMA's for friends, and faxing does work on various machines manufactured by different companies (compared to Magic Jack, which only seems to support HP multifunction fax machines) as long as the speed is set to 9600, and ECM is disabled.
#105114 by informer
Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm
You can also try *98 or *96. It worked with my Brother MFC when I used those.

informer
#105348 by nzoneraich
Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:20 am
I am having trouble faxing with my Brother MFC using the Linx, not the actual Telo. Any suggestions. I have made all the correct modifications, registered the Linx and tried it on Phone and Fax. Tech support has tried to help but was unsuccessful. I am open to any suggestions, or I guess if I can't get the Linx to work, I'll just return the whole thing.
#105353 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 pm
nzoneraich wrote:I am having trouble faxing with my Brother MFC using the Linx, not the actual Telo. Any suggestions. I have made all the correct modifications, registered the Linx and tried it on Phone and Fax. Tech support has tried to help but was unsuccessful. I am open to any suggestions, or I guess if I can't get the Linx to work, I'll just return the whole thing.

First:
Can you connect a corded phone to the Linx device and establish a two way phone conversation?

When you go to My Ooma at https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers?beta_types=true, do you have the Linx setup?
If not, click on Setup Device and fill in the blanks for the window that opens. In the Mode pull down menu select Fax and save. The test with your fax machine telephone cord connected to the Linx device.

First try faxing without any prefix. Hp Fax number and procedure below (works with any Fax machine):

Introduction
This document will assist you in testing your HP Fax machine using the HP Fax Test Service.
Print this document for easy reference by clicking the Printable Version link in the upper right corner of this page.
Test your fax machine
To test the capability of your fax machine, follow the directions below.
NOTE:Be sure that your phone number is not Caller ID blocked by your telephone company prior to attempting to send and receive a fax. Pressing *82 before dialing the toll free number will unblock the Caller ID blocking feature in most areas. Other phone company services can prevent you from receiving a fax, including voice mail, call blocking, or call privacy features.
NOTE:Whenever troubleshooting a fax issue, it is good practice to set the Automatic Reports option to Every Error before attempting a test fax. This way, even if the sent fax fails, an error code will be generated that will guide you in future troubleshooting. This option is available in different places on different products, consult the product User's Guide for specific steps.
1.Send a one page black and white text fax to 1-888-hpfaxme (1-888-473-2963).
2.When your fax is received by the HP Test Fax Service, we will generate a return fax to you within five minutes confirming that we received your fax. This verifies that you can both send and receive a fax with your fax machine.
If you do not receive a return fax within 5-7 minutes, there may be a problem with the setup of your fax machine. Consult the user manual that came with the product for proper setup and configuration.
NOTE:The most common cause of failure is that the fax number set in the Fax Header on the machine does not match the number of the phone line connected to the fax. Also, ensure that the fax header contains the full 10-digit telephone number of the fax machine, including the area code
#107600 by 159515100
Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:24 pm
Sometimes following the directions is not always best! I tried and tried and again tried to send a fax following all of the advice from each of you each time with no luck. I finally simply dialed the number I wanted to fax to eliminating the *99 and you probably already guessed it, success! I repeated my experiment three times each time with the same success so for those of you still miffed at not being able to fax, give my solution a try. Hope it works for you too!