This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76656 by wormdog014
Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 am
Our 1 month of free Premier service just expired and we noticed QoS issues (dropped calls, stuttering). Still waiting on CS to provide a solution for setup. Here's what we have: Telo attached to a Netgear Homeplug in kitchen w/other homeplug to Westell 9100EM router with Verizon Fios 15/5. A 5.8GHz analog cordless plugged to Telo and no connection to wall plug. Only other devices on router port is a computer. Other computer via wireless as well as Roku and DVD.

I'm hoping for any suggestions on the Telo settings.

Thanks!
#76657 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:20 am
wormdog014 wrote:Our 1 month of free Premier service just expired and we noticed QoS issues (dropped calls, stuttering). Still waiting on CS to provide a solution for setup. Here's what we have: Telo attached to a Netgear Homeplug in kitchen w/other homeplug to Westell 9100EM router with Verizon Fios 15/5. A 5.8GHz analog cordless plugged to Telo and no connection to wall plug. Only other devices on router port is a computer. Other computer via wireless as well as Roku and DVD.

I'm hoping for any suggestions on the Telo settings.

Thanks!

Suggestions and Ideas:
First run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ a few times, than click on left hand lower tab and post results here.

Dropped calls and stuttering is often an indication the the modem is defective. But because you are using Netgear Homeplugs, they may be causing problems. I have never had very good luck using homeplugs for other applications. They work but often put out a "dirty" signal.

For dropped calls, you could reserve a static IP address in your router, for the Ooma device, than, place the Ooma device's static IP address in the router's DMZ.

Another suggestion would be, temporarily for testing, connect the Ooma device directly to your modem and see if that helps.

Something else to try for dropped calls and stuttering:
a. Access your Ooma Telo “home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma Telo’s “Home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the modem.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or Router, which ever device is next in line.
h. After the Ooma device or router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or router, which ever device is next in line.
#76666 by wormdog014
Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:33 am
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 15.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 75.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 14040696 bps
Upload speed: 5249960 bps
Download quality of service: 81 %
Upload quality of service: 86 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 71 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 41 ms
Average round trip time to server: 42 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.1395446
Download TCP forced idle: 23 %
Maximum route speed: --

BTW, my modem and router are integrated or with FIOS, I think there is no modem.

The reason to use the Homeplug is to keep the Telo in the kitchen. With the Telo connected to one of the computers, it's now causing home network problems, ie. unable to access the printer or shared drive of the computer the Telo is connected to.

Thanks again for your help.
#76669 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:53 am
wormdog014 wrote:VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 15.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 75.3 ms
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

BTW, my modem and router are integrated or with FIOS, I think there is no modem.

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Estimated MOS score is usually around 4.

Probably either the modem/router is defective or the homeplug is causing the problem.

For isolation purposes I would temporarily connect the Ooma device directly to the modem/router with a network cable, with the homeplug disconnected from the router.
Than test again with http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see if the jitter reading improves.
If the PhonePower test improves to less than 5 ms, than it's the homeplugs causing the problem. If the problem continues, than it's probably a defective modem and needs to be replaced.