This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76574 by TysAri08
Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:21 am
On some calls (quite regularly, actually), at some point, it will sound "frozen." The best description I can think of is what it sounds like when you are trying to listen to an MP3 on your PC and Windows stops responding. I will hear that frozen stutter like a computer locking up. Sometimes it only lasts for a second or two & I just have to ask the other person to repeat what they said. Other times it is like I completely locks up and I have to just hang up and try again.
#76588 by TysAri08
Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:00 pm
Our connection is Modem (Zhone 1161)>>Ooma Telo>>Cisco Gigabit Switch (EG008W)>>Router.

Here is the results are the speed test (after multiple tests):
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7620640 bps
Upload speed: 841720 bps
Download quality of service: 92 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 67 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 48 ms
Average round trip time to server: 50 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 11200000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4696928
Download TCP forced idle: 8 %
Maximum route speed: 10922496bps
#76591 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:30 pm
TysAri08:
Your speed test results are good except Estimated MOS score: 3.9 is just slightly low, but still should work okay.

Try adjusting your Ooma device's OoS upload/download setting to about 80 percent of you measured upload/download speeds, as measured with http://www.speedtest.net/. Access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser's window. Click on Advanced in left hand side of window. Go down to Quality Of Service. Make entries in Upstream and downstream boxes. When done click on Update.

Next to prevent Ooma Mac Address spoofing, which sometimes is a problem:
a. Access your Ooma Telo “home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma Telo’s “Home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs. (In your case skip to step b.)
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the modem.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device.
h. After the Ooma device cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the router.
#76604 by lbmofo
Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:39 pm
TysAri08 wrote:On some calls (quite regularly, actually), at some point, it will sound "frozen." The best description I can think of is what it sounds like when you are trying to listen to an MP3 on your PC and Windows stops responding. I will hear that frozen stutter like a computer locking up. Sometimes it only lasts for a second or two & I just have to ask the other person to repeat what they said. Other times it is like I completely locks up and I have to just hang up and try again.

To me, this sounds like a modem going belly up.
#76611 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:11 pm
lbmofo wrote:
TysAri08 wrote:On some calls (quite regularly, actually), at some point, it will sound "frozen." The best description I can think of is what it sounds like when you are trying to listen to an MP3 on your PC and Windows stops responding. I will hear that frozen stutter like a computer locking up. Sometimes it only lasts for a second or two & I just have to ask the other person to repeat what they said. Other times it is like I completely locks up and I have to just hang up and try again.

To me, this sounds like a modem going belly up.

You're right lbmofo. I just wanted to make sure that TysAri08 tried everything else first.
#76612 by TysAri08
Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:14 pm
That's what I've thought too. But repeated tests on the hardware itself come back good. Everything else on my internet seems to work fine.
#76634 by TysAri08
Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:29 pm
I wish I had a spare DSL modem laying around just so I could test and see if that gets better. But, that has definetely been a suspicion of mine for a while. I'm going to mess with my settings a little more too and see if I can figure anything out. Thanks for all your help!
#76636 by danlisman
Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:01 pm
TysAri08 wrote:I wish I had a spare DSL modem laying around just so I could test and see if that gets better. But, that has definetely been a suspicion of mine for a while. I'm going to mess with my settings a little more too and see if I can figure anything out. Thanks for all your help!


I agree that getting another modem and reconfiguring it is a major pain.
An easier test:
Even though your DSL modem is location specific, your Ooma is not. I bet you know someone with fast broadband who would let you plug into their router for a test. If you can recreate this problem on demand, it should not take long to see if your Ooma box is good. If box is good, then the freeze would have to be either your home DSL modem or your home internet provider.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests