This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75978 by thecgmguy
Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:18 pm
Hi Guys,

A new issues with ooma just came up... not sure how or why.

During a lengthy call, there were times when I couldn't hear the remote caller... but they could hear me fine.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

SpeedTest.net Results
-----------------------
15.30 Mbps Down (Bursting Speed)
3.32 Mbps Up (Bursting Speed)
Comcast Connection.

Right now, I have my QOS on ooma set to 2 Mbps up... 0 down.

I'm wondering though if I should put in a QOS value for down. Maybe the outages are coinciding with times when something is downloading and hogging the downstream connection?

Has this happened to anyone else?
#76005 by thunderbird
Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:02 pm
[quote="Bobby B" Ooma Forum Moderator: If you have a problem with one-way audio or delay during the call, please record the date/time of the call and the called number. It's important to note if the problem is reproducible. If it is, it can usually be resolved more quickly. quote]

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#76025 by thecgmguy
Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:45 am
thunderbird wrote:[quote="Bobby B" Ooma Forum Moderator: If you have a problem with one-way audio or delay during the call, please record the date/time of the call and the called number. It's important to note if the problem is reproducible. If it is, it can usually be resolved more quickly. quote]

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks.
#76047 by cm2va
Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:37 pm
thecgmguy wrote:Right now, I have my QOS on ooma set to 2 Mbps up... 0 down.

I'm wondering though if I should put in a QOS value for down. Maybe the outages are coinciding with times when something is downloading and hogging the downstream connection?

Has this happened to anyone else?

QOS (priority queuing) is only necessary when you're going from a higher speed network into a slower circuit. On upstream, your home LAN runs at 100/1000M, but you only have 3M capacity upstream, so you need to ensure your VOIP traffic gets dequeued before your other traffic - that's why you carve out some capacity for an EF queue. On downstream, the congestion is on the carrier network. It comes off their core routers/switches at high speed and then down to you over a smaller 15M pipe. If congestion occurs, it occurs on their devices and hopefully they're honoring the TOS values on your traffic and ensuring it gets through. When it arrives at your network you should have plenty of capacity to handle up to 15M of inbound traffic. ... unless you're doing very high volume file transfers on your LAN prior to the OOMA.

I use Comcast also. I'm not impressed with thier network, but I'm able to stream video over the internet without problem. I can only expect voice would be handled in the same manner - they do provide VoIP service. Your performance test indicates the network is doing its job.