This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#77423 by EA PA
Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 pm
danlisman wrote:
EA PA wrote:I was using *98 for a few weeks and it was working well, then just died.

I have booted, done the asterick thing, modem>ooma>router config, MAC use built, great testing numbers (below), great ping test half way cross country, latest firmware, multiple phones tried at ooma without house copper (old ATT slimline, 5.8 ghz, dect 6), no RFI verified.

I have email to Bobby B. Im asking OOMA to back door my system to see if they see anything.

This bothers me.
My only explanation would be that Ooma CAN tweak and IS tweaking the use of various CODECs. If this is the case, I hope that they learn quickly and Bobby B. is able to discover a solution.

I hope they can get to the bottom of whatever is creating these local call / cell call issues. Actually, this may be a blessing in disguise. If some piece of hardware was only flakey - its usually a project that does not get much attention. Stuff that is just flat broke is easier to locate. So I am hopefull that this will get resolved rapidly. When I get good local / cell call routing, Im turning off one of my landlines and getting half freedom anyway. When I get good reliability to where my wife will accept, Ill get the rest of the way. I doubt if they are tweeking the CODEC stuff - if they were there would be lots more bellowing going on....
#77424 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:21 pm
What Dennis said might shed some light on why some carriers may have issues here and there servicing Ooma.

Dennis P wrote:
geobernd wrote:I understand the California datacenter and that makes sense for the signaling/billing route - I don't understand why the RTP/media stream would need to travel through your datacenter? Routing that directly between the Telo/Hub and the CLEC gateways should speed things up a bit....

There are three reasons why the media stream goes through our data center:

1. The codec we use for PureVoice (iLBC) is not widely supported by gateways, which means that we have to transcode to a supported codec (G711). Although transcoding is expensive, we believe it is worth it to get access to a robust, low-bandwidth codec.

2. The adaptive redundancy technology of PureVoice is a proprietary implementation and requires custom code on both the client and server. This adaptive redundancy improves reliability and consistency of voice calls by effectively concealing packet loss rates of up to 40%.

3. We use SRTP which is not widely supported by gateways. Encrypting the media stream improves the privacy and confidentiality of phone calls.
#77438 by EA PA
Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm
Thanks.

Well, nothing back from OOMA email today, and I still cant call 3 of my personal private and business numbers OB that I sent into Bobby B. :( :( :(
#77482 by danlisman
Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:27 am
My local OB calls just died and after a few days of fiddling, just wont come back. IB works great, long distance seems to be working and OOMA to OOMA is awesome.

"just died" is a little vague. Are your back to 10 seconds of silence? or what? error msg? symptoms?
#77483 by EA PA
Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:56 am
danlisman wrote:
My local OB calls just died and after a few days of fiddling, just wont come back. IB works great, long distance seems to be working and OOMA to OOMA is awesome.

"just died" is a little vague. Are your back to 10 seconds of silence? or what? error msg? symptoms?

Danlisman - Yep sorry. I was more specific on my email to Bobby B. It seems that up until a few days ago I was going along OK using *98 getting most of my local calls OK. Actually my wife does alot of local calling. She gave up finally at only losing 10% due to no connects and cell delay to connect that we were previous bantering about. I bought DECT 6 phone set at the recommendation of some of the forum guys and began using them. Shortly after, there was a discovery that corded antiques may work. I tried the corded and it behaved exactly like the other phones. After restoring, like the next day, I made local call and it would not ring through. So I treid a battery of tests to my local personal numbers - my cell, my work and another work number of mine. I got a whole variety of goofy stuff. No connects, fast beeping, ring then nothing etc. Nothing really consistent except not getting a good connection. I called my in laws who now have an OOMA - and it worked great. Called IB from other phones and it works great. Just fails local OB calls. Been like this for 3 days now. Im down to only using my handset with no wired connection to the OOMA - no house wiring connected. My test numbers look the best they have ever been. Im directly into modem. Ive made the change to Use Built. Booted in sequence several times. I have adjusted QoS several times and I am back to where I was before this started happening. I even tried *99 - same - tried full area code - same, tried no * at all and same. So I asked Bobby B to try and look from OOMA to see if they could see any issues and look for routing problems - I gave him 3 numbers that I cannot make work.

As Dorothy stated in the Wizard of Oz "there does not seem to be any solution in that bag for me" :cry: (then again that was right before the good witch showed up).....
#77492 by EA PA
Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:59 pm
Im back! Suddenly, the OOMA gremlin left. I was thinking that Bobby B was the MAN! Then I checked my email and I heard back from Bobby B - but... he did not do anything to fix :shock: it fixed itself - strange device this OOMA

Anyway, based on the old thinking that stuff does not fix itself (unless AI), I fear I will be back soon whining - but for now...all is right with the world :D

I still have to use *98 - but at least I can get out....
#77686 by EA PA
Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:58 pm
Update:

I am not sure if OOMA fixed the routing issues or whatever, however with no action taken on my side, my cell issue seems to have been resolved and my personal local numbers all seem to work from OOMA, although 1 is still flakey. But I am much happier. Hopefully this will continue. For now.... smooth :cool:
#77760 by danlisman
Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:13 pm
EA PA wrote:Update:

I am not sure if OOMA fixed the routing issues or whatever, however with no action taken on my side, my cell issue seems to have been resolved and my personal local numbers all seem to work from OOMA, although 1 is still flakey. But I am much happier. Hopefully this will continue. For now.... smooth :cool:

I have not seen any problems for at least a couple of weeks, but I wish some one would take credit for making a change. I don't like surprises and this problem might still be lurking some where. I do notice that my wife uses her cell phone much more than she used to and the Telo is used less. She doesn't like surprises either. For now.... smooth :cool:
#77762 by EA PA
Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:42 pm
danlisman wrote:
EA PA wrote:Update:

I have not seen any problems for at least a couple of weeks, but I wish some one would take credit for making a change. I don't like surprises and this problem might still be lurking some where. I do notice that my wife uses her cell phone much more than she used to and the Telo is used less. She doesn't like surprises either. For now.... smooth :cool:

If I was'nt nervous of getting pounded by any women in this forum, I would start a thread that I see as a common theme to address. At the risk of being detected within this thread :o , generally I see that most men seem to be willing to deal with the, shall we say "technical eccentricities" of OOMA whereas women "put up" with it for a few days and then decide that it's a damned phone. If it does not work when they pick it up every time after the few trial days :x , then - divorce . Please, no hate mail. I have seen this over and over again in other threads and have experienced it myself. It is just an observation that is being made that OOMA may want to pay attention to as many women make the ultimate phone decisions in the castle. ;)
#77764 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:55 pm
EA PA wrote:If it does not work when they pick it up every time after the few trial days :x , then - divorce .

Like I said, not sure why some of you are having these issues (carrier? location?) but I've been fortunate to have all my referrals enjoy Ooma immensely with 0 issues. Once in a while, I check in on them and ask how everything is going (sometimes, they jokingly say "Ooma customer service" is calling); answer is always "great, thank you for helping us out" or something to that effect.