This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#77015 by EA PA
Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:25 pm
OK - after a battery tests on this one party hears, one cannot for a few seconds:

Testing was OOMA to cell on local number. No use of *98 or *99 - just 7 digit dialing. I have turned off: all computers, all 5.8 Ghz bases, all DECT 6 bases, OOMA handset base and pulled handset battery, all internet stuff (except for modem), and Cable TV digital unit. OOMA connected to cable modem. Phone used was ATT Slimline corded antique plugged into Phone connection on OOMA.

Results: Same. OOMA caller calls cell, cell hears and answers, OOMA user cannot hear for 10 seconds or so, then Click - then conversation is fine but you can tell without *98 that the connection is still weak.

Power up each device back separately and test - no change. Back to DECT 6 phones with everything in home powered and exactly the same.

Conclusion: In this particular case (not necessarily echo related) the analog phone did not behave differently than any other phone with or without any RF devices powered. None of the other devices in my home seem to be interfering. So no smoking gun - again... :|

Post test stats:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4128376 bps
Upload speed: 492136 bps
Download quality of service: 84 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 26 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 94 ms
Average round trip time to server: 96 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 4800000bps
Route concurrency: 1.1626848
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 5577440bps
#77065 by danlisman
Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:33 pm
Testing was OOMA to cell on local number. No use of *98 or *99 - just 7 digit dialing. I have turned off: all computers, all 5.8 Ghz bases, all DECT 6 bases, OOMA handset base and pulled handset battery, all internet stuff (except for modem), and Cable TV digital unit. OOMA connected to cable modem. Phone used was ATT Slimline corded antique plugged into Phone connection on OOMA.

Results: Same. OOMA caller calls cell, cell hears and answers, OOMA user cannot hear for 10 seconds or so, then Click - then conversation is fine but you can tell without *98 that the connection is still weak

This initial 10 second delay calling cell phones is the same problem that I have. But, since the QOS numbers from my AT&T DSL are inconsistent and often have low percentages with gaps, Ooma support does not take my problem seriously. AT&T says all my numbers are within tolerences. Cable would cost $25 more and considering your experience, I do not think it would correct the problem.
Since you have a perfect test case, I am surprised that Ooma does not follow through to a solution. It seems obvious that G711 CODEC algorithm forced by *98 has a better initial handshake than the advanced voice compression algorithm used by Ooma "Purevoice" CODEC. It must be very complex and not subject to "tweaking".
#77074 by EA PA
Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:09 pm
Yea it is kind of a perfect repeatable case. That was why I started this thread in the first place.. to highlight the issue. Somewhere along the line Bobby B the moderator suggested sending these numbers one at a time to him for resolution. I started doing that but only with the real bad players - like a number that just wont ring as an example. I figure if I cant get these fixed first, what is the difference on the delay to connect - particularly if I can *98 it OK for now. My wife only repeats calls so often so it takes some time to verify that these are fixed one by one. So Ill get there - it'll take some time. One would think its a more generic issue - who knows. Like I said several times before, I love the concept. I hope to get escape velocity from the landlines soon. I may have to phase her out of the landlines....maybe the OOMA system will continue to improve...
#77075 by danlisman
Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:19 pm
EA PA wrote:Yea it is kind of a perfect repeatable case. That was why I started this thread in the first place.. to highlight the issue. Somewhere along the line Bobby B the moderator suggested sending these numbers one at a time to him for resolution. I started doing that but only with the real bad players - like a number that just wont ring as an example. I figure if I cant get these fixed first, what is the difference on the delay to connect - particularly if I can *98 it OK for now. My wife only repeats calls so often so it takes some time to verify that these are fixed one by one. So Ill get there - it'll take some time. One would think its a more generic issue - who knows. Like I said several times before, I love the concept. I hope to get escape velocity from the landlines soon. I may have to phase her out of the landlines....maybe the OOMA system will continue to improve...

Are you saying that you have sent individual numbers to him and NOW they always work perfectly??
#77085 by EA PA
Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 pm
No that is not what I am saying. That seems to be the OOMA plan. When 1 number is bad player - send it in for analysis and repair I guess - routing issues, bad switches etc I guess. I sent a few to the moderator and he responded back a few days later that I should try it again - presumably after some corrective action was taken. I have not verified that it does or does not connect through yet - hopefully this week.

I will post and trumpet the success and failures as they occur.
#77366 by EA PA
Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:52 pm
My wife finally threw the towel on OOMA for her small business. I had to CONNECT :x the copper back up to her office.

My local OB calls just died and after a few days of fiddling, just wont come back. IB works great, long distance seems to be working and OOMA to OOMA is awesome. I was using *98 for a few weeks and it was working well, then just died.

I have booted, done the asterick thing, modem>ooma>router config, MAC use built, great testing numbers (below), great ping test half way cross country, latest firmware, multiple phones tried at ooma without house copper (old ATT slimline, 5.8 ghz, dect 6), no RFI verified.

I have email to Bobby B. Im asking OOMA to back door my system to see if they see anything. If not, it looks like a local issue I guess. HELP OOMA

I will continue to chant until OOMA comes back to life vs connecting copper back to my personal line.... :| OOMA OOMA OOMA...OOOMA, OOOOOMA, OOOOOOOOOOMA

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5390192 bps
Upload speed: 493264 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 23 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 93 ms
Average round trip time to server: 93 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6480000bps
Route concurrency: 1.2021835
Download TCP forced idle: 13 %
Maximum route speed: 5637416bps
#77370 by EA PA
Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:36 pm
thunderbird wrote:EA PA:
I hope your not saying that you are giving up? I would start hammering Ooma about routing issues? I would do it through E-mail. E-mail always seems to work better for me. Good Luck!

Give up? - NEVER :!: I have an endless motivation to beat the utilities - my ultimate goal is utility independence. I have a concrete house to the roof, 6 inch thick- R30 walls , R90 in the attic, special E windows, on demand Rinnau gas water heater, geothermal, de-superheater for free summer hot water and well water. Telecom is the next victim. Electric is the on deck casualty. I will be victorious. My bride however has immediate needs that have direct impact on my ... shall we say life needs :) and has no sense of phone humor... Like I said, will continue to chant - OOOOOOOMA - OOOOOOOOOMA (no UMA photo)

"I have email to Bobby B. Im asking OOMA to back door my system to see if they see anything. If not, it looks like a local issue I guess. HELP OOMA

I will continue to chant until OOMA comes back to life vs connecting copper back to my personal line.... OOMA OOMA OOMA...OOOMA, OOOOOMA, OOOOOOOOOOMA"
#77418 by danlisman
Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:38 am
EA PA wrote:I was using *98 for a few weeks and it was working well, then just died.

I have booted, done the asterick thing, modem>ooma>router config, MAC use built, great testing numbers (below), great ping test half way cross country, latest firmware, multiple phones tried at ooma without house copper (old ATT slimline, 5.8 ghz, dect 6), no RFI verified.

I have email to Bobby B. Im asking OOMA to back door my system to see if they see anything.

This bothers me.
My only explanation would be that Ooma CAN tweak and IS tweaking the use of various CODECs. If this is the case, I hope that they learn quickly and Bobby B. is able to discover a solution.