This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76199 by danlisman
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 pm
DEANDRSW wrote:I have been having the same issue...but different. OB calls to cell phones work just fine, but OB calls to landlines have the "can't hear" issue; the party answers, but it takes approximately 10 seconds for us to hear each other. After the 10 second period, the rest of the call is uneventful with good quality of service.

I called an OOMA technician and discussed the problem with him. The upshot is that a ping test showed the jitter to be greater than 4. The technician said I should call my ISP and have them "adjust the jitter to less than 5."

I just finished discussing this with a tech from my ISP (using my cell phone) and they advised me that "this was something they could not do." I am having no problems with my internet service. If this is truly a jitter problem, why does it seem to only affect the first few seconds of the call...and not the entire call?

Not being a techie myself, I'm confused why an OB call to a cell phone works fine (always), but to a landline does not. And all IB calls are just fine. (I realize this is just the opposite of the thread subject, but it might provide the OOMA techs with an alternate insight.)

All I can state for sure is that this has just started happening to my service within the past few weeks. Prior to that, I had no problems...now I do.

Try *99 and then the phone number. Do you still have the delay?
#76202 by EA PA
Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:14 pm
danlisman - check this out - looks like competing issues

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10895&start=20#p76055

In some cases like my local calling issues where latency is not a big concern, *99 or fax mode works for me. For other cases that I am reading in the link above, the fax mode is creating echo issues due to the echo cancellation that is turned off when in fax mode according to murphy I think it was.

It looks like lots of echo issues are going away with the change to the fax mode default to off.

What a conundrum..... :shock: maybe *99 local and regular for longer distance... man o man
#76206 by danlisman
Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:29 pm
EA PA wrote:danlisman - check this out - looks like competing issues

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10895&start=20#p76055

In some cases like my local calling issues where latency is not a big concern, *99 or fax mode works for me. For other cases that I am reading in the link above, the fax mode is creating echo issues due to the echo cancellation that is turned off when in fax mode according to murphy I think it was.

It looks like lots of echo issues are going away with the change to the fax mode default to off.

What a conundrum..... :shock: maybe *99 local and regular for longer distance... man o man

If you are willing to hit 3 extra buttons before every call, try *98 (instead of *99 or fax mode).
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10681&hilit=asterisk
*98 - Use G711 Codec w/o Fax mode
*99 - Data/Fax w/o echo cancelation
#76232 by DEANDRSW
Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:56 am
As suggested by OOMA setup, my configuration is and has always been: Modem - OOMA - Router. As part of my trouble shooting, I removed the Router from my configuration; but the problem still exists. As stated previously, I'm using the same Modem, same ISP company as before.

I do not have FAX mode set for my account.

Results from tests:

TEST 1: 03/01/2011 – circa 7:20AM EST
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7388512 bps
Upload speed: 246088 bps
Download quality of service: 72 %
Upload quality of service: 35 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 70 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 89 ms
Average round trip time to server: 90 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000000bps
Route concurrency: 3.248286
Download TCP forced idle: 76 %
Maximum route speed: --
TEST 2: 03/01/2011 – circa 7:35AM EST
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5918784 bps
Upload speed: 247808 bps
Download quality of service: 96 %
Upload quality of service: 38 %
Maximum TCP delay: 72 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 88 ms
Average round trip time to server: 93 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000000bps
Route concurrency: 4.054887
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Maximum route speed: 5957720bps

TEST 3: 03/01/2011 – circa 7:45AM EST
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5940896 bps
Upload speed: 341488 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 23 %
Maximum TCP delay: 75 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 89 ms
Average round trip time to server: 96 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24800000bps
Route concurrency: 4.1744547
Download TCP forced idle: 78 %
Maximum route speed: --
#76233 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:14 am
DEANDRSW:
Everything looks normal except the Upload Quality of Service. 23% to 38% is quite low. Usually it's about 75% to in the 90s%. Even the download QoS is a little low.

It could be other things but I'd start Here:

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/100

For a starting point, set your Upload Quality of Service to about about 80 percent, in the Ooma Setup Advanced page. From there if thing don't improve, adjust QoS slightly up or down and test for a difference.

Next if QoS adjustment don't work:
Does your Modem have a firewall? If so reserve a static IP address for your Ooma device in your Modem. Than place the Ooma device's static IP address in the Modem's DMZ.
#76368 by EA PA
Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:03 am
OOMA is a mess today and getting worse each day. Now I am getting repeat no disconnects - just dead air. I try *99, *98 and no * anything and same thing.

All local calls, 7 digit dialing only certain numbers. Keep running tests and everything looks good. QOS set below upload speed. No changes to setup for the last few weeks, only quality degradation. I booted OOMA last night and same thing. I am Modem>OOMA>Router>Switch. I am connecting UPS tonght to eliminate power quality as a possibility.

Now in addition to no connects, Im getting the endless ringing no connect followed by dial tone. Ive never had that one before even though I have read in forum :cry:

I am starting to send each of the numbers affected via email to Bobby B who is sending issue tickets on with suspected carrier issues

GAK ! spiraling downhill - what is happening? Any ideas forum sleuths?
#76376 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:48 am
EA PA wrote:OOMA is a mess today and getting worse each day. Now I am getting repeat no disconnects - just dead air. I try *99, *98 and no * anything and same thing.

All local calls, 7 digit dialing only certain numbers. Keep running tests and everything looks good. QOS set below upload speed. No changes to setup for the last few weeks, only quality degradation. I booted OOMA last night and same thing. I am Modem>OOMA>Router>Switch. I am connecting UPS tonght to eliminate power quality as a possibility.

Now in addition to no connects, Im getting the endless ringing no connect followed by dial tone. Ive never had that one before even though I have read in forum :cry:

I am starting to send each of the numbers affected via email to Bobby B who is sending issue tickets on with suspected carrier issues

EA PA, as I said on the other thread, you are now connected to your house wiring and that may have a problem (may still be connected to the telephone company) viewtopic.php?t=10953 What happens if you only connect a phone to Ooma?
#76379 by EA PA
Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am
lbmofo wrote:
EA PA wrote:OOMA is a mess today and getting worse each day. Now I am getting repeat no disconnects - just dead air. I try *99, *98 and no * anything and same thing.

EA PA, as I said on the other thread, you are now connected to your house wiring and that may have a problem (may still be connected to the telephone company) viewtopic.php?t=10953 What happens if you only connect a phone to Ooma?

Not connected to outside wiring. I disconnected it myself. I have been using the OOMA on the common house wiring for weeks with very few issues. Up until the last few days, the only real issues I had were connect delay to cell phones. In the last few days all sorts of odd things are popping up... phones that dont answer, dial tone after ringing, dead air etc. The dead air seems to be repeatable to certain local numbers.