This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75974 by Bobby B
Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:22 pm
You have the right intentions, but referencing problems old threads (> 1.5 months) isn't very useful because they're no longer applicable (routing change) or they've been resolved (directly with customer support).

If you have a problem with one-way audio or delay during the call, please record the date/time of the call and the called number. It's important to note if the problem is reproducible. If it is, it can usually be resolved more quickly.

EA PA wrote:I am doing this in part to provide OOMA engineering with as much meaningful / repeatable information as possible in a single thread to assist them in understanding the nature and breadth of the issues.
#75981 by EA PA
Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:56 pm
Bobby B

OK – this ones within the last hour (you knew that one was coming..) :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10912&start=0

I noticed that the reports of these issues only go back so many months as it is. In this particular case, there is not much reported that I found prior to 9/10 - what happened in Sept. last year?

Anyway, I understand what you are getting at. I was hoping that these issues were closer together in terms of a solution vs. fixing 1 switch at a time if you know what I mean.

In my case, it seems like every cell I call has the same issue. If this is indeed the modus operandi for resolution, I will keep a log if you like and send it along in time. For the record, I believe I have already done this though - a month or so ago with Norm.

If the OOMA policy is; for user problems (at least for this issue) to keep a log of affected numbers etc, and submit to OOMA to get individual solutions implemented, then I would urge you to publish this as a part of the solution along with any prerequisite testing to demonstrate reasonable connectivity prior to submitting to OOMA.

It would be a nice upgrade to categorize some of these more common issues in a new locked section, maybe below the Status and Updates Forum area with recommended testing and procedures for resolution by category.

In scanning these forums, I believe from what I have read that many of these issues can be categorized into one of a dozen or so categories. Wouldn’t it make sense to front run the endless chatter with a plan that users could view with recommended tests, the comforting “OOMA knows about this and is working on it”, and “the solution will be (fill in the blank)” – or at least “the investigation continues” – "but in the mean time use *99" as an example? It surely would comfort many of the new users out there. Instead I see lots of tests showing good connectivity speed, low jitter and TCP etc with a dead end thread and frustrated end users. Also, there are small business people that need reliable service. They could immediately benefit from an OOMA broadcast to use *99 as a temporary measure to improve call quality. Or you will lose them forever in short order.

This recommendation in contrast to business as usual, evidenced by this seemingly endless bantering of the same issue(s) over and over again with the same 1/2 dozen or so great forum sleuths re-advising the same tests (and other great advice) in many cases only once again to dead end after no obvious problem is found. Due respect - to their credit there are many success stories as well…

Without a more formal position on issue resolution – or at least a posture of investigation, there is lots of obvious skepticism about whether or not these issues will ever get resolved.

I do see your efforts in rolling out new code to resolve other issues as evidenced by the OOMA Status and Updates. I believe you are trying. But it seems like the users wait and wait, get a rollout, and then rush to see what was resolved to the disappointment of some looking for resolution of their specific issues, only to sigh with no other information available.

Please don’t get me wrong. I would be much better off if nobody had quality issues. My desire is to see the OOMA survive and prosper as does every other owner. My intent was to focus on this issue primarily and perhaps greedily, because its one of mine. *99 works for me so I’ll stick with it for now.

Thanks for the response. I was hoping someone would recognize the breadth of this one issue at least. Mission accomplished. I hope you guys can follow through with more success stories.
#76103 by tomcat
Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:47 pm
Bobby B wrote:If you have a problem with one-way audio or delay during the call, please record the date/time of the call and the called number. It's important to note if the problem is reproducible. If it is, it can usually be resolved more quickly.

After reviewing and trying several suggestions in the forum I resorted to giving tech support a call as Bobby B suggested. I gave them all the information I could offer including dates, times and the phone number I was having repeated, and consistent, issues with (which to date is the only number I am having issues where I don't hear the person I am calling for roughly 7-8 seconds). Support ran me through speed tests as well as changing my QoS from 768 to 800 with no change. After working with them they ended up telling me that this is a know issue on their side, their engineers are working on it, and there is not currently an estimated time for a fix. They also told me that *99 before the call was a temporary work around for the issue (which I already knew from posts here in the forum).

After talking with tech support I did not get the feeling that my call made any difference in helping get the issue fixed, which is the reason for this posts. I understand that the problem is bigger than just my service and that my service wouldn't be magically fixed just because I made the call. I had hoped that my call would be used in the greater picture to help get things resolved, but instead, I get the impression from support that I'm just another caller and my information will not go any further.

I have only been using Ooma about 10 days now trying it out and I am very excited about it. When it works it works great and this problem not hearing this person when I call them is the only issue I have had. I can also forgive the few issues that may come up over time considering the cost of the service, but my wife is not as forgiving. I want to give Ooma the benefit of the doubt and hope they can get this working.

This post is not meant to be a rant but merely to explain my experience with support regarding the issue. Again, I hope Ooma will be able to get the issue fixed in a timely manner as I am looking forward to being a long time customer. Time will tell.

Thanks.
#76109 by danlisman
Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:14 pm
tomcat wrote:
Bobby B wrote:If you have a problem with one-way audio or delay during the call, please record the date/time of the call and the called number. It's important to note if the problem is reproducible. If it is, it can usually be resolved more quickly.

...etc
This post is not meant to be a rant but merely to explain my experience with support regarding the issue. Again, I hope Ooma will be able to get the issue fixed in a timely manner as I am looking forward to being a long time customer. Time will tell.

Thanks.

I am still hopeful, but I think it is too late for a timely resolution. The following thread was started 10-07-2010
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569

Maybe Bobby B could tell us what to do with collected data. I know I do not want to list specific phone numbers on this open forum
#76112 by tomcat
Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:27 pm
thunderbird wrote:tomcat:
How do you have your Ooma device connected? Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

I normally have it modem -> router -> Ooma, and prefer it this way. However, using suggestions in the forum, I have tried modem -> Ooma -> router without any change. Tech support also had me try this twice, but it did not resolve the issue. All other tests support had me try turned out fine. As noted, it is only with one number that I am having this issue (so far) and it happens every time I call it. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

danlisman wrote:I am still hopeful, but I think it is too late for a timely resolution. The following thread was started 10-07-2010

In this case a "timely manner" is relative as I am still within my 30-day return period for my Telo.
#76113 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:10 pm
tomcat:

With Ooma configured Modem-Router-Ooma try the following:

a. Access your Ooma Telo “home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma Telo’s “Home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the modem.
g. Than do a “cold boot” of the Router.
h. Than do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device.

Next reserve a static IP address in your router for the Ooma device.

Next place the Ooma static IP address in your router's DMZ.
#76122 by tomcat
Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:21 pm
Thunderbird -

I had been reviewing the forums before I purchased my telo and changing the MAC to built-in was one of the first things I did after my purchase. I don't believe my problem is with my setup but with ooma since so may others have the same issue, though I was hoping I would not be one of them when I bought my telo. Not trying so say that my setup is perfect, but I think this particular problem is out of our hands. :(