This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#77770 by EA PA
Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:26 pm
lbmofo wrote:
EA PA wrote:If it does not work when they pick it up every time after the few trial days :x , then - divorce .

Like I said, not sure why some of you are having these issues (carrier? location?) but I've been fortunate to have all my referrals enjoy Ooma immensely with 0 issues. Once in a while, I check in on them and ask how everything is going (sometimes, they jokingly say "Ooma customer service" is calling); answer is always "great, thank you for helping us out" or something to that effect.

Dont get me wrong, as far as I am concerned, as long as I get a dial tone and my call goes through without a repeatable issue (like echoeing or drop outs etc.) Im happy. I have been using it all along and I am happy with it so far even with teh *98 workaround. I did have a few days where I could not get out but thats fixed. I understand that once in a blue moon something gets weird with it. I have good success with long distance and local. I used to have a cell issue but that seems to have subsided. Generally I'm happy with it :D .

My wife however, expects perfection out of the box (see last post) like any other consumer product (without tuning and fiddling). In fact, I bought it from OOMA directly so it was my thing. Had we got it from Costco, she probably would have returned it. Lurking in this forum, I see lots of similar comments about unhappy wives, hence the post.

Personally, I'd rather pitch my families 1/2 dozen cell phones into a ditch and save myself the big bucks while using OOMA only. Unfortunately, extracting smart phones from my families fingers would be worse than extracting my own molars with toothpicks...
#77773 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:04 pm
EA PA wrote:Dont get me wrong

I know where you were coming from....the bride....very important in keeping happy. No doubt. My wife doesn't necessarily like the fact that we have 8 DECT 6.0 handsets & 2 Ooma handsets in the house. She says I am driving her crazy. :) But as long as the phone works, she is happy. Over a year with Ooma and it has been ultra reliable to me. Only 1 dropped call and a few "fax machine sound" when I called home (2nd try always worked when they happened; I've experienced this "fax machine sound" while calling other VoIP folks as well) and then the occasional "DTMF" sound while talking. That's all the problems I've had. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

EA PA wrote:Personally, I'd rather pitch my families 1/2 dozen cell phones into a ditch and save myself the big bucks while using OOMA only. Unfortunately, extracting smart phones from my families fingers would be worse than extracting my own molars with toothpicks...

Depending on phase, daughter would burn up too many rollover minutes (when she makes new friends on different network). Ooma came in very handy. I asked her to have all her friends call her at home when she is home. $ savings!
#77777 by southsound
Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:46 pm
lbmofo wrote:My wife doesn't necessarily like the fact that we have 8 DECT 6.0 handsets & 2 Ooma handsets in the house. She says I am driving her crazy. :) But as long as the phone works, she is happy.

She may seem happy but why would anyone settle for so few phones? :P

Our home is definitely not, as the old Ma Bell saying went. "underphoned." We have several cordless handsets in each room. One wired and two in my bathroom, two in the bedroom, 3 in the office, one in the theater, another in the barn, 3 in the living room. And a few more in the kitchen and dining room. My bride is always running around trying to guess which one is ringing. I've told her, just look for the one that's lit up, but she still gets confused. Isn't it great that wives have such grace for their mates?
#77778 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:03 pm
southsound wrote:She may seem happy but why would anyone settle for so few phones? :P

Ah...now, I get the problem. ;) I'll get more handsets. Could you elaborate on Total Lines: 6 / Numbers: 10?

southsound wrote:My bride is always running around trying to guess which one is ringing. I've told her, just look for the one that's lit up, but she still gets confused. Isn't it great that wives have such grace for their mates?

Yes indeed. We are blessed. Mine has no problems answering but has problems cradle swapping. :shock:
#77781 by EA PA
Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:13 pm
Hysterical - you guys are killing me. I posted before that I had a handset, simultaneous cell phone ring, and my other 3 or 4 misc wired phones all fire off one night after I initially powered OOMA. The consequence was hysterical - I wish I had got it on video. They may run the castle, but multiple rings, tones, all out of sync was enough to put a look on her face that I will never forget. And that was only with 5 phones. You guys are WAY out of my league - LOL - so funny. The possibilities... :P
#77784 by EA PA
Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:33 pm
I can think of 15 - 16 locations - then there are bathrooms..... and the attic..oh and storage, outside by the grill? swingset.. hmm is tree house out of line? :idea: Ill have to get power strung outside - project..
#77785 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:36 pm
EA PA wrote:I can think of 15 - 16 locations - then there are bathrooms..... and the attic..oh and storage, outside by the grill? swingset.. hmm is tree house out of line? :idea: Ill have to get power strung outside - project..

Now, you are talking! :cool:
#77791 by southsound
Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:58 pm
lbmofo wrote:Could you elaborate on Total Lines: 6 / Numbers: 10?

Sure. In addition to my ooma numbers and a landline, I also have 4 GV numbers (one personal, one for my wife, one for our non-profit org, and one from Malibu, CA) and I use a couple more on my PAP2T. Although it only has two ports, I can assign multiple numbers, including a toll-free one. I pay just a little per month for the DID's and then pay by the minute for the actual use. Of course, ooma is still my preferred VoIP service. As to the Malibu number, my wife and I work with the recovery community. Sometimes if a person is not doing well, they will try to avoid a call they know is from us. They are also familiar with the *67 block. But when the get a call from Malibu, their curiosity makes them answer. I just tell them I'm at Ken and Barbie's house and wanted to see how they were doing. Sorry for the OT rabbit trail. :cool:
#79604 by EA PA
Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:00 pm
My OOMA speaks to me today....

I verified that I have the new firmware and tested my delay to connect to cell issues. After about 1/2 dozen tries without *98, my problem seems to have gone away. So far so good on a preliminary series of tests. Based on previous situations where issues pop back up combined with this being a slow traffic day (weekend), I'll try and hold back a bit, but so far so good... :cool: