This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76620 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:30 pm
woodbridge wrote:Hi - we are new to ooma and are connected by modem (awaiting to hard-wire and for router to arrive). We are having the echo problem on our side (Telo phone) and some kind of slight delay. We have non-Telo phones connected also. I am not sure what "jitter" means. Can someone out there give me some advice? Thanks for your help.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 69.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 68.2 ms
Estimated MOS score: 3.6
Upload quality of service: 49 %

Jitter is very high. Jitter should be 5 ms or less. MOS score is low, usually it's around 4.0. Upload quality of service is poor, should be 80s to 90s.

Your Internet connection is poor, or your modem is defective. Porbably the Modem is defective.
#76625 by woodbridge
Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:20 pm
We just connected to a new internet provider - Comcast, and we don't have a router connected yet. I will follow this and re-post when we have the router to see if it is the internet connection. Also, I will ask them for a new modem. Thanks for the suggest. I might be back!
#76627 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:26 pm
woodbridge wrote:We just connected to a new internet provider - Comcast, and we don't have a router connected yet. I will follow this and re-post when we have the router to see if it is the internet connection. Also, I will ask them for a new modem. Thanks for the suggest. I might be back!

Comcast probably gave you the Modem, that the last person had, that was having VoIP problems? :o

Is the modem that Comcast gave you a modem or a modem/router?
#76628 by woodbridge
Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:41 pm
Ha Ha. We have someone installing other stereo equip and he said that the cablem from Comcast was used and not very good so we are going to exchange that also. It is just a modem. We ordered the "free" router from Comcast for shipping cost ($10.) Is a combo better?
#76630 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:46 pm
woodbridge wrote:Ha Ha. We have someone installing other stereo equip and he said that the cablem from Comcast was used and not very good so we are going to exchange that also. It is just a modem. We ordered the "free" router from Comcast for shipping cost ($10.) Is a combo better?

I would go with the separate router.
#76933 by Lupine
Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 pm
Thanks for the fax advice. We started having call qualities (echo on receiving end of outgoing calls) a few weeks ago, and it became intolerable enough that we resorted to using our cell phones for all outgoing calls - not exactly how we envisioned using our Ooma system! Disabling fax mode appears to have remedied the issue, but at a significant functionality cost. Hopefully Ooma will provide a real fix to the issue soon.
#77028 by jrlish
Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:08 pm
Agreed. It's unacceptable to have let it go this long. It' now been over a month. I work from home quite a bit and it's embarrassing that people know when I've joined a conference call because the echo starts.