This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#76404 by kodiak
Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 pm
I had CS turn my fax mode off on my hub and that did not fix it for me although it was a little better. I esculated and they pushed out new firmware to the hub last night which has improved it some more, but its still there.

From talking with people on the phone, the echo now seems to go in and out, so not all is fixed from the HUB hardware.
#76451 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:18 am
kodiak wrote:I had CS turn my fax mode off on my hub and that did not fix it for me although it was a little better. I esculated and they pushed out new firmware to the hub last night which has improved it some more, but its still there.

From talking with people on the phone, the echo now seems to go in and out, so not all is fixed from the HUB hardware.

You said "the echo now seems to go in and out". That sounds more like an unstable Internet or modem problem.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ several times during at different times of the day and see if values are having large changes.
#76469 by kodiak
Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am
nope, its not my connection. OOMA is still working on it, and its been pushed to engineering. I called my verizon cell but dont hear it. I call other people, some hear it; some don't. they took the numbers that I have been calling. Something tells me it might be dependent on the carrier. I'm not sure, but the in and out thing seems to happen only at the beginning of the call.

Its still an ongoing issue, so apparently I'm not the only one.
#76476 by ohmelovelo
Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 am
thunderbird wrote:Run test a couple of times, click on the lower left hand tab and post results here.

http://speedtest.phonepower.com/

I'm not the doc123 to whom you directed this instruction but I'm suffering the echo also. One difference is that I experience echo randomly inbound and outbound. A friend calls me and the echo is awful, we hang up. Either I call him back or he calls me back, doesn't matter which, no echo. We've NEVER experienced echo on the recall.

Here's my results of the phonepower test:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4623344 bps
Upload speed: 367232 bps
Download quality of service: 91 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 52 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 81 ms
Average round trip time to server: 82 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6880000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4881004
Download TCP forced idle: 7 %
Maximum route speed: 6472592bps
#76477 by whodkne
Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 pm
I as well have had this issue today, horrible. I am going to try the fax mode modification as well, but many people have been unhappy with us today as this is in use for our business.
#76480 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:54 pm
First disable fax mode:
Go to https://my.ooma.com/home/login.
Next click on Perferences.
Next click on Phone Numbers.
Next click on the phone number your are using.
Uncheck Fax box, if Fax box was checked and click on Save.
If the the Fax Box wasn't Checked, Check Fax box now. Than click on Save. Than go back and Uncheck Fax and click on Save. (You're making sure that the Ooma server's Fax "logic" is not stuck or confused).
(Sometimes you have to wait for 5 to 15 minutes for this to take effect)
Test by calling or having someone call you.
#76496 by highq
Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:49 pm
9194570887 wrote:I'm not the doc123 to whom you directed this instruction ...

Yes, we can see that. :( .
You are a user who may attract spam and sales calls by using your phone number as your user name here.
Do call Ooma Customer Service and get that changed.
#76618 by woodbridge
Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:00 pm
Hi - we are new to ooma and are connected by modem (awaiting to hard-wire and for router to arrive). We are having the echo problem on our side (Telo phone) and some kind of slight delay. We have non-Telo phones connected also. I am not sure what "jitter" means. Can someone out there give me some advice? Thanks for your help.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 69.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 68.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.2 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 11516536 bps