This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75929 by cdamania1
Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:35 am
biff007 wrote:Interesting... I just ordered another OOMA tele and will have them move my number to the new device in hopes that this works. I've done all the troubleshooting steps you were talking about today. I'll keep working with the tech support until the device comes in and either way will keep you posted on any new developments or if the new device somehow solves the problem. One thing I was going to discuss with them is rolling back the firmware or reinstalling the current firmware on the tele device. Other than that I have no idea other than a potential network issue which I can't understand since it doesn't seem like others are having the problem.

Either way I'll keep you posted and if anyone else resolves this problem, please let me know. Thanks...

HI Biff007,

Dont waste your time getting new device.. It wont work.. I went thru 2 OOMa telo devices.. This is what i did..

1st round.. Replaced my cable modem as well as OOMA telo device. Called comcast got my new cable modem working. Called OOMA and did a complete account transfer and still the same issue..

2nd round. Picked up another OOMA telo device and activated a new account with a new telephone number and then had them move just my original number and tried and still the same thing..

The strange part is that my 2nd round OOMA telo had the older firmware and it was still doing the same thing.. Then once the device was up and running it looks like the OOMA server pushed out the firmware update and it rebooted.. So it is not firmware related.. It is def something on the server/ Network side that they need to fix..

It looks like they should have either a solid fiber or black fiber coming in to the building that may be causing a lot of their issues that is causing all our issues with the delays. The reason why i say this is because i am also in the IT field and i have seen this before. Fiber cable not properly maintained will cause a lot of these issues.. The only other option is their servers that they may be using that are getting over loaded and the network switches are maxing out on the utilization.

If i am not mistaking the only thing that the ooma device does is it creates a secure Point to point SSL tunnel to OOMA servers, the rest is done on the back end and if the back end infrastructure is having issues then all the users will suffer... Nothing on the cable modem / cable provider side.

Thats my guess..
#75947 by thunderbird
Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:23 am
Information only:
This morning my phone calls have returned to echo and delay free. The voice quality is loud and clear.

Since high phone audio volume is one of the things that will cause echo, I turned the phone volume to full. Still no echo. :cool:
#75979 by tjkirk
Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm
Hi biff007 and other delay-cursed folks,

I recently (month or so) started having the same delay issues you describe. I've had the Telo since it's release in Oct 2009 and other than this persistent and annoying issue, the sound quality has overall been really good.

To remedy things, I've tried rebooting, *99, and most everything else folks suggest with no luck. The only workaround is to have the caller call me back, which stinks. I have 5.8 GHz Panasonic phones which is what I've always used with the Telo, so I doubt using a DECT 6 phone would help. (I did try a corded phone, and still had the same delay.)

So, I'm trying to deduce what has changed that could cause this. I did buy a new router about 3 mo ago ( Netgear N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND ROUTER/WNDR3400) to replace an old 54G modem, but I don't recall the delay until about a month or two after that. The modem stats seem to check out OK, so I'm starting to suspect either the Telo device itself or the Ooma service. Let us know if the replacement Telo fixes the issue!

tim
#75982 by tjkirk
Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:59 pm
Just re-read cdamania's post, so that dashes the thought that it's the Telo itself. Sounds more and more like this is with Ooma's service. Can someone from Ooma either confirm or deny this? I tired of hours of trying stuff that fails to resolve the issue... :x
#75985 by igorgor
Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:45 pm
thunderbird wrote:Information only:
This morning my phone calls have returned to echo and delay free. The voice quality is loud and clear.

Since high phone audio volume is one of the things that will cause echo, I turned the phone volume to full. Still no echo. :cool:

Just wandering if you did something to your system, changed settings?
#76001 by thunderbird
Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:01 pm
igorgor wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Information only:

Just wandering if you did something to your system, changed settings?

No, other than rebooting everything yesterday. Yesterday it seemed to get better by rebooting, but I could really tell the difference/improvement today.

I was reading about echo problems on another forum today. They were routing the phone cord through a phone surge suppressor. They claimed that when they routed their phone cord through the phone surge suppressor, the echo went away. They didn't say what model of surge suppressor. I have a couple of those phone surge suppressors around here somewhere. So I'm going to find one of them and get it ready to plug it in for testing. Most of the time I don't have echo, but if echo come back, I'm going to test the surge suppressor idea.
#76004 by kruegs
Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:17 pm
Chalk me up as another customer with echo issues. Starting to get pissed to be honest. After a year plus of solid service, this is horrible.
#76009 by biff007
Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Thanks for the replies...It'll probably be toward the end of next week before I get the tele device. I'll post the results when I get them. As of now, I'm still having the echo problems that are driving the people I call nuts. I tend to think also that it's a OOMA problem too based on what i heard but I'll give the new tele a try or hope that OOMA fixes the problem before I get it. Either way, I'll keep others posted.
#76021 by kodiak
Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:07 am
I've been getting this exact same thing for the past couple of weeks, its getting really annoying.
I forgot to mention, I have the ooma core, so I don't think its hardware related. This is recent within the last few weeks. So its either firmware or server side, might have something to do with they network upgrade stuff.
#76052 by biff007
Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:12 pm
I finally figured out the problem...or at least for me. I recently a little over a week ago enabled fax mode in the my OOMA page. When this was enabled, it switches the line quality (although hardly noticable) and for some reason people I call hear themselves on the phone. It's the weirdest thing but that's the cause. For me, I had to turn off fax mode and reboot the OOMA tele. Once I did this, everything worked fine.

So to receive a fax you probably need to enable the mode on my OOMA and then power down again. The whole process is a pain in the rear but at least sound quality is restored without an echo.

I hope OOMA fixes this problem with their network to enable fax mode while being able to make calls without a degradation of call quality! Best of luck to everyone else and let me know if this resolves your problems as well!