This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75653 by Whinis
Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:11 am
I have been having weird call quality issues, every now and then I can not make a call out, all I get is a busy signal. When I checked my router during these times every time I turn the phone on I get a spike of 3-10 mb/s from the ooma box. I also get weird issues where the other persons voice kind of drags out and then catches back up really fast.I also see a 3-10 mb/s spike during this time. I am unsure weather its a recent firmware issue or what but I would like to know why this happens.
#75657 by thunderbird
Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:50 am
Try this first:
a. Access your Ooma device “home port” by plugging in a network cable from the Ooma device’s “Home” port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the network cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
e. Select the “Update button”.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the modem.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or Router, which ever device is next in line.
h. After the Ooma device or router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device or router, which ever device is next in line.
#76045 by cm2va
Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:19 pm
I have the same problem ... and often. I've had my Ooma for about 3 months and I have problems almost daily. When I call home it often rings once then goes to a busy signal. I can complete half of the calls made from the device. I've tried rebooting the Ooma without success. The rest of my network devices work over the internet and I can stream video. It's a cable connection and not loaded. I'd like to know how to troubleshoot it rather than just trial and error.

This could be a problem with the carrier network interface to Ooma's IP gateways, Ooma's gateway's, the Ooma device at my home, or a network problem. I'm not sure if my ISP honors the TOS markings on the VoIP traffic to/from my Ooma. They provide VoIP service, so I'd expect they do.

Does Ooma provide call detail records? The gateways should be sending CDRs to a central management server. They can be sorted by phone number. The CDR tells the reason a call failed.
#76053 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:14 pm
When the Ooma device’s MAC address is set to automatic, it allows MAC address Spoofing. Many Modems and Routers are not compatible to Ooma MAC address spoofing. So the first thing, when there are symptoms as described, is to set the Ooma device’s MAC address to “Use Built-in”, as described above.

Next when calling out, there is an Ooma “Bug” that is going on right now that doesn’t allow some connections. The work-around for that is to dial *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Next is when receiving a call, it drops, or goes to voicemail, etc. Your “My Ooma” preferences may not be setup correctly. If you check and find that your “My Ooma” preferences are setup correctly, then record, date, time, inbound call, and phone number. Report that information to Ooma Support. I like to use E-mail because you will spend less time and get better results.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#76056 by cm2va
Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 pm
Thanks Thunderbird,

thunderbird wrote:When the Ooma device’s MAC address is set to automatic, it allows MAC address Spoofing. Many Modems and Routers are not compatible to Ooma MAC address spoofing. So the first thing, when there are symptoms as described, is to set the Ooma device’s MAC address to “Use Built-in”, as described above.

I've had the MAC set to built-in.

thunderbird wrote:Next is when receiving a call, it drops, or goes to voicemail, etc. Your “My Ooma” preferences may not be setup correctly. If you check and find that your “My Ooma” preferences are setup correctly, then record, date, time, inbound call, and phone number. Report that information to Ooma Support. I like to use E-mail because you will spend less time and get better results.

I have it set up to forward to my cell if the network is down. The symptoms seem to indicate the gateway was able to reach my Ooma device and attempt a call set-up. I'll email support with some of the failed attempts and see if they can sort the reason out from the CDRs.

Thanks again.
#76059 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm
cm2va:
One step I forgot to mention is closed ports:

If your Ooma device is connected behind your router, sometimes you have to reserve a static IP address in your router for the Ooma device. Than place the Ooma's static IP address in your Router's DMZ.