This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75586 by danlisman
Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:52 am
On another thread,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10842
comments were made that high values in "Maximum TCP delay: " could indicate the need for a new modem.
If that tcp delay is consistently high like that, I think it is time for a new modem.

My "Maximum TCP delay:" has consistently been high between 400 ms and 500 ms.
I tried researching "Maximum TCP delay: " and saw that numbers over 200ms are bad, but it also looked like high delay might be acceptable if "Download TCP forced idle:" is low. My modem is showing "Download TCP forced idle: 0 % "
My call quality is sometimes less than good and I would like to have it as clear and dependable as possible. I use AT&T DSL and have the AT&T 2-Wire 2701HG-B Gateway modem using DMZplus address to Ooma Telo and then Telo to wireless LAN for home distribution.
Do I need a better modem?
Any suggestions for a great DSL modem for great Ooma VOIP? cheap?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2087712 bps
Upload speed: 416128 bps
Download quality of service: 26 %
Upload quality of service: 68 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 448 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 57 ms
Average round trip time to server: 65 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2880000bps
Route concurrency: 1.3795006
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 9197888bps
#75588 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:16 pm
danlisman:
Before making a decision, test and record the TCP readings several times during the day, for a few days. Also keep an eye out for dropped or lost packets. If at different times, the TCP readings are high and/or you also see lost packets, it might be time for a new modem.