This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#74761 by sbrassard
Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 pm
I recently bought Ooma Telo about 2 weeks ago. I originally was hearing an echo when I first installed it. Then I disabled the QoS in the Telo Hub and that seemed to make it go away. Now I notice about a 1-2 second delay during conversations. I have also had the unfortunate experience of making a call and having the "they can hear me, but I cant hear them" problem. This still seems to happen (from time to time) at the beginning of a call. But I think it's gotten better since last week.

I've setup Ooma to be in both configurations (directly between the internet cable modem and my linksys WRT54G router and also behind my Linksys router, with QoS in Telo disabled and Linksys QoS handling traffic placing high priority on the specific port ooma is connected to on the router). Both of these configurations seem to have the same results.

Is it possible that the Ooma Telo just doesnt work as good as a POTS would? I have been troubleshooting this phone system and spending more time trying different configurations to get it to work than ANY PHONE I have ever used in my life.

Is there anyone that can provide answers to the delay issue? Im just outside Albany, NY (using a 518-688-xxxx ooma registered number). I was thinking of buying this with the hopes to port my home number, but if I cant get this system to work without these weird inconsistencies, I may just end up returning it for a full refund.

I have standard RoadRunner, 10 Down 1 Up, but my speedtest.net results are right around 12-20 down and 0.96 up. When Ooma is connected to a party, I see my upstream speed decline to around .60 to .80 which I think is more than what VOIP needs. BTW - I tried #99 and the delay is still present.

Can anyone make any suggestions?
#74782 by sbrassard
Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:30 pm
So I called tech support. They had me change my upstream to 800kbps. That made the call seem worse with the call going in and out then sprinkle some delay on top. My wife wanted to throw the phone at me because she couldn't hold much of a conversation. So I set upstream back to be disabled (0).

The tech told me that I have a possible jitter problem and I could call Road Runner to see if they can adjust it. Not sure about this, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Downstream
Freq/Power: 543.000 MHz -4 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 33.100 MHz 43 dBmV
Channel Type: Mixed (TDMA and ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16

Current VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4875880 bps
Upload speed: 973680 bps
Download quality of service: 88 %
Upload quality of service: 94 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 82 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 96 ms
Average round trip time to server: 99 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 41600000bps
Route concurrency: 8.531794
Download TCP forced idle: 87 %
Maximum route speed: 5461248bps
#75067 by onoccasion
Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:14 pm
sbrassard wrote:I recently bought Ooma Telo about 2 weeks ago. I originally was hearing an echo when I first installed it. Then I disabled the QoS in the Telo Hub and that seemed to make it go away. Now I notice about a 1-2 second delay during conversations. I have also had the unfortunate experience of making a call and having the "they can hear me, but I cant hear them" problem. This still seems to happen (from time to time) at the beginning of a call. But I think it's gotten better since last week.

I've setup Ooma to be in both configurations (directly between the internet cable modem and my linksys WRT54G router and also behind my Linksys router, with QoS in Telo disabled and Linksys QoS handling traffic placing high priority on the specific port ooma is connected to on the router). Both of these configurations seem to have the same results.

Is it possible that the Ooma Telo just doesnt work as good as a POTS would? I have been troubleshooting this phone system and spending more time trying different configurations to get it to work than ANY PHONE I have ever used in my life.

Is there anyone that can provide answers to the delay issue? Im just outside Albany, NY (using a 518-688-xxxx ooma registered number). I was thinking of buying this with the hopes to port my home number, but if I cant get this system to work without these weird inconsistencies, I may just end up returning it for a full refund.

I have standard RoadRunner, 10 Down 1 Up, but my speedtest.net results are right around 12-20 down and 0.96 up. When Ooma is connected to a party, I see my upstream speed decline to around .60 to .80 which I think is more than what VOIP needs. BTW - I tried #99 and the delay is still present.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

I'm also in 518 area code with Roadrunner and a WRT54G router (with Telo behind router and router giving QoS priority to port Ooma is on) and have a 518-684 number. I see that 518-688 & 518-684 are both being run off the same switch (by looking at tnid.us or localcallingguide.com) run by Choice One Communications, so maybe Choice One is part of the problem. I would say Ooma Telo isn't quite as good as POTS in terms of reliability/quality, but my wife and I decided we can tolerate it. I think I've had better quality than you describe - haven't experienced echo to any great extent; delay has been generally tolerable (part of problem may be routing of call from east coast to Ooma's west coast data center and back again). Inbound calls all seem good. My only problem has been on outgoing calls w/ caller ID not always sent to called party & sometimes not able to hear each other at beginning of call. I see in the Ooma Status & Updates section of the forum that Ooma has released new firmware on 2/10. My Telo hasn't received it yet. Maybe that will resolve some issues if the codec is causing problems since one of the fixes is "Make PureVoice wait longer before it reduces redundancy [10058]."

Is porting your existing number an option for you? Ooma told me they could not port my existing 518-853 landline number.
#75084 by sbrassard
Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm
onoccasion,

As a matter of fact, my TimeWarner phone number is 1 518-630-**** number which can be ported (or at least thats what Ooma's site says). As far as call quality, I am basically experiencing everything you are. I can tolorate it, but my wife thinks the call quality sucks. Sure you can still have a conversation with Ooma, but Im not so sure I can rely on the call quality. The delay is horrible. 1-2 second delay for the length of a call is pretty annoying. I guess you get what you pay for, but is it really all that difficult to get a decent quality call with todays technology? And all I'm looking for is something on par with a basic landline. I'd give up all the fancy phone features if I could have a phoneline which I could have more confidence in.

I spoke to a manager at TW about the recommended "fix" Ooma's support rep. offered (i.e having my jitter adjusted). Appearantly, you can't have jitter adjusted. It's all part of the connection. So i've been told. I guess it would be equivenlent in asking for better ping times. As far as Choice One Communications goes, Im not sure if they can do anything or not. My guess would be that Ooma would have to put a call in to Choice One for anything to be looked at.

Regardless, Im going to continue evaluating it this week. Hopefully I will get the update and have a better experience, but my instinct is telling me thats just going to be wishful thinking.