This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#74759 by Glacier
Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm
When I call people there is second or two delay when talking and in their response. Is this normal or is there a fix for this?
#74760 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:45 pm
You maybe impacted by the same issue as this: viewtopic.php?t=10601

Try dialing *99 before the number to see if that helps; this would be a workaround until resolution.
#74762 by Glacier
Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm
*99 did not help. It's too bad... but this may be going back. I need to make business calls and do not want to fool around with this. For $200+ for initial purchase it should work without dinging around....especially if others are having this issue.
#74763 by sbrassard
Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 pm
Hi - It seems that there are a lot of problems with Ooma. I'm wondering if I should have bought it now. The short story is yes, I am experiencing the same 1-2 sec. delay on 99.999% of all my calls. Hopefully this is just a "glitch" in the Ooma firmware / network...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10757
#74764 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:18 pm
Glacier wrote:*99 did not help. It's too bad... but this may be going back. I need to make business calls and do not want to fool around with this. For $200+ for initial purchase it should work without dinging around....especially if others are having this issue.

If not yet done, you can also enable 10 digit dialing to see if workaround feasible.

Before you give in, I'd check out this to make sure nothing weird is going on with your internet and related devices: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#74765 by Glacier
Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:44 pm
Thanks for your help. I do use 10 digit dialing. It worked fine the first day so I don't know what could have changed to make it delay. I think for a business this may be too unreliable for me. I was hoping to use it for my home and business.
#74767 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:08 pm
Although some folks may get irritated everytime I say this but I feel that it is important to let folks know. All the ooma users I am related to/friends to have no issues with Ooma service over here in the great Pacific Northwest serviced through XO. Hence this problem that you are impacted by is definitely not an "all Ooma" problem. Either it is all carrier or carrier/ooma combo issue and probably also depends on geography.
#74776 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 pm
Glacier:
Echo, Delay and Half-duplex
Quote: Echo is the reflected copy of the voice heard some time later and a delayed version of the original. On a telephone, if the delay is fairly significant (more than a few hundred milliseconds), it is considered annoying. Half-duplex definition is one person speaks while the other listens.

Quote: A full-duplex (FDX), or sometimes double-duplex system, allows communication in both directions, and, unlike half-duplex, allows this to happen simultaneously. Land-line telephone networks are full-duplex, since they allow both callers to speak and be heard at the same time. A good analogy for a full-duplex system would be a two-lane road with one lane for each direction.

Quote: When a twisted pair or fiber link segment cable is used and neither end is connected to a repeater, full-duplex Ethernet becomes possible over that segment. In full-duplex mode, both devices can transmit and receive to and from each other at the same time, and there is no collision domain. This doubles the aggregate bandwidth of the link and is sometimes advertised as double the link speed. The elimination of the collision domain for these connections also means that the entire link's bandwidth can be used by the two devices on that segment and that segment length is not limited by the need for correct collision detection.

Delay, echo and half-duplex problems seem to go together. Network devices are often set or designed to auto-negotiate speeds, half-duplex, full duplex etc.

Ooma uses full duplex for phone voice conversations. For unknown reasons a network circuit may be degraded to half-duplex. When that happens delay or/and echo and half-duplex conversations may be heard.

Many times echo won’t be heard until you raise your voice when speaking.

The first place to start is at home:
It may be as easy as rebooting your Modem-Ooma, or Modem-Router-Ooma device to correct the situation. I have had to reboot up to three times to “wake up” the system to return to full-duplex operation.

If the delay, echo, half-duplex goes away after the reboots, than comes back, reboot again. Than after rebooting again the delay, echo, half-duplex goes away again, but comes back later; the problem is with the equipment in your home.

Sometimes with a short delay, a good DECT 6 phone will greatly help.

If you find that you are still experiencing delay, and/or echo, and/or half-duplex phone conversations after the reboots (every time tested there is delay, echo, half-duplex and never goes away even for a short period of time), the problem is probably with your Internet provider, Ooma, or the Legacy Carrier.

If the problem continues, contact Ooma Customer Support and report your problem to have it resolved.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#75242 by Glacier
Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:53 pm
I finally was able to spend some time calling Customer Service and they were very helpful but could not help... spent over an hour trying to fix the problem.

My Ooma is connected through the router and when we tried to change it for better call quality using the Ooma before the modem and router I can no longer print. The computer I use is direct wired (not wireless) so I go through another network computer to print. All other computers on the network are fine and able to print... just not the one I use the most often!

I'm not sure I want to live with the delay. If anyone has other solutions I am open to your ideas.... would love for this to work.
#75290 by thunderbird
Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 pm
Glacier:
Your didn't say if there was less delay with the Ooma device placed ahead of your router?

Has Ooma pushed the firmware update for your Ooma Telo to Device Status - Rev: 1.43368?

What is the name and model numbers of your Modem and Router?

Did you configure your Ooma device to use "Built-in" MAC address, accessing "Ooma Setup" through the Ooma device's "Home" port?