This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#73968 by plasmo
Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:33 pm
I have the original Ooma, and have been using it for (i think) > 2 years now without issues...until the past several months where I have had worsening issues of voice cutting in and out during calls.

I thought it was our cordless phones, which have been sort of dated, so I bought a new set of DECT cordless phones.

... still the same issue. Nothing else has changed. Still have the same Comcast internet and router setup.
Internet router is D-Link DIR-825.

I'm thinking it may be the Ooma. I'll try resetting it, but does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

The phone quality is SO BAD now, that I cannot even make out what people are saying now as it cuts in and out during all phone calls.

THANKS
#73970 by plasmo
Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:46 pm
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5776912 bps
Upload speed: 2782112 bps
Download quality of service: 97 %
Upload quality of service: 95 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 54 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 98 ms
Average round trip time to server: 101 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16000000bps
Route concurrency: 2.7696457
Download TCP forced idle: 68 %
Maximum route speed: --
#73978 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:10 pm
The results look good. How is your Ooma hooked up? Between the modem & router or after the router? Is your dialtone fed to house phone wiring?
#74002 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:34 pm
The I/They can’t her Them/Me problems seems to have erupted in full force again. When this happens, what seems to be the best solution is for everyone to contact Ooma Customer service and report your symptoms.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#74004 by Davesworld
Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:31 pm
thunderbird wrote:The I/They can’t her Them/Me problems seems to have erupted in full force again. When this happens, what seems to be the best solution is for everyone to contact Ooma Customer service and report your symptoms.

Customer Support

They are fully aware of this well above the customer service level. I must say that when a customer's connection is capable of an MOS of 4 or better, they have not changed anything in their setup and they have been doing fine and then all of a sudden around August 2010 or later, they start to get things like choppiness, excessive lag, DTMF talk off and so on, it is not on the customer's end. I constantly see suggestions which are nothing more than the shotgun method of troubleshooting. I've seen people spend hundreds of dollars on new equipment including cordless phones for a problem that is not in their residence in any way shape or form. The first thing anyone should do is test the connection for VOIP capability as you did as well as ensure you are not doing heavy uploading with no throttling while on the phone. 100kbs available in the upload direction is more than enough for a single call while in fax (g.711) mode but it can't be saturated as this will mess up your download speed as well.
#74008 by plasmo
Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:00 pm
Davesworld wrote:
thunderbird wrote:The I/They can’t her Them/Me problems seems to have erupted in full force again. When this happens, what seems to be the best solution is for everyone to contact Ooma Customer service and report your symptoms.

Customer Support

They are fully aware of this well above the customer service level. I must say that when a customer's connection is capable of an MOS of 4 or better, they have not changed anything in their setup and they have been doing fine and then all of a sudden around August 2010 or later, they start to get things like choppiness, excessive lag, DTMF talk off and so on, it is not on the customer's end. I constantly see suggestions which are nothing more than the shotgun method of troubleshooting. I've seen people spend hundreds of dollars on new equipment including cordless phones for a problem that is not in their residence in any way shape or form. The first thing anyone should do is test the connection for VOIP capability as you did as well as ensure you are not doing heavy uploading with no throttling while on the phone. 100kbs available in the upload direction is more than enough for a single call while in fax (g.711) mode but it can't be saturated as this will mess up your download speed as well.

Thanks Davesworld. That is exactly it.
I have been VERY happy with my Ooma, as I still have the original version, and it has well paid for itself many times over by being able to cancel my regular expensive LAN line...
I tried to unplug the ooma for a while, and replugged it back in (have never needed to do this in the past ever)...and so far, I am getting fairly good connections at the moment without out sound cutting out. I still will need to test it out a little longer to see if it actually fixed the problem, or i'm just having some good calls.
As far as how it is connected to my computer, like I said, it hasn't changed from 2 yrs ago, and I have so many wires behind my desk, it will take me some time to follow the cables to verify what is what, so i'll do this later if I continue to have problems. thanks for your help everyone, i appreciate it.