This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#73879 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:21 am
Hello DrElectron, you should start up a thread outlining issues you are having.
#75261 by jbooseven
Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 pm
The OOMA service -is- unreliable. I don't have the technical problem detemination knowledge as the prior posters; however, I do know that having replaced Vonage for OOMA, I have a guage of what's working and what's not....I never had these problems with Vonage.

- Sometimes you dial, hear the ooma tone, wait for 7-10 seconds and then it connects to the other line
- It has screwed around with how the speakerphone functionality of my cordless phone - sometimes will work, most times not, will go from talking on the speakerphone to all of a sudden - a line waiting status....cutting off my conversation.

It has gotten to the point that when I dial - I have come to expect the service "NOT" to work about 10% of the time - 1 of every 10 calls will drop, I can't connect, or very poor telephone quality!

My justification for OOMA was a payback after 12 months. I'm 8 months in....good thing I have a cell phone as a backup, or google voice.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND OOMA. This has to be a OOMA fix-it or go out of business. Unfortunately, I don't think Costco will take this product back.
#75264 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 pm
jbooseven wrote:The OOMA service -is- unreliable. I don't have the technical problem detemination knowledge as the prior posters; however, I do know that having replaced Vonage for OOMA, I have a guage of what's working and what's not....I never had these problems with Vonage.

- Sometimes you dial, hear the ooma tone, wait for 7-10 seconds and then it connects to the other line
- It has screwed around with how the speakerphone functionality of my cordless phone - sometimes will work, most times not, will go from talking on the speakerphone to all of a sudden - a line waiting status....cutting off my conversation.

It has gotten to the point that when I dial - I have come to expect the service "NOT" to work about 10% of the time - 1 of every 10 calls will drop, I can't connect, or very poor telephone quality!

My justification for OOMA was a payback after 12 months. I'm 8 months in....good thing I have a cell phone as a backup, or google voice.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND OOMA. This has to be a OOMA fix-it or go out of business. Unfortunately, I don't think Costco will take this product back.

Have you had issues from day 1? If not, perhaps your modem went bad? If your ooma is hooked up to your router, maybe router has gone belly up? Check this out: viewtopic.php?t=10023

If you rent your modem, I'd get a new modem from your internet provider and check it out.
#75265 by Davesworld
Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:10 am
smarsh99 wrote:Nice try lbmofo, but (get real) if the issues were to do with "Carrier Routing" it would occur all the time.

Also outgoing calls would NEVER ring the target phone...

Oh really? What on earth makes you think that it takes the same route every time? With non premium routing (ooma is set to use the cheapest route of the day) it can take a different route with every call and some will be unusable and some will actually be acceptable. You jump to conclusions far too quickly. Do you have any idea just how hit and miss grey routing is? It can change routes on every call. White routing which is more expensive is more predictable and repeatable and then there is premium routing which is by far the best and most reliable, highest performing and consistent call routing there is. To me it is worth the extra fraction of a penny per minute it costs extra to terminate a call. One of my providers actually allows you to choose whether or not to use premium routing for north american domestic calls as well. Another of my providers uses only premium domestically but offers the choice of the three levels for international calls. Yet another one of mine uses ONLY premium and they own their own TDM equipment.
#75273 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:11 am
Davesworld wrote:
smarsh99 wrote:Nice try lbmofo, but (get real) if the issues were to do with "Carrier Routing" it would occur all the time.

Also outgoing calls would NEVER ring the target phone...

Oh really? What on earth makes you think that it takes the same route every time? With non premium routing (ooma is set to use the cheapest route of the day) it can take a different route with every call and some will be unusable and some will actually be acceptable. You jump to conclusions far too quickly. Do you have any idea just how hit and miss grey routing is? It can change routes on every call. White routing which is more expensive is more predictable and repeatable and then there is premium routing which is by far the best and most reliable, highest performing and consistent call routing there is. To me it is worth the extra fraction of a penny per minute it costs extra to terminate a call. One of my providers actually allows you to choose whether or not to use premium routing for north american domestic calls as well. Another of my providers uses only premium domestically but offers the choice of the three levels for international calls. Yet another one of mine uses ONLY premium and they own their own TDM equipment.

This piece talks about this "routing selection" by the device. Then, it was talking about the Hub but I suppose Telo does the same.

"The current ooma device has a 450 Mhz ARM processor onboard running Linux, a derivative version of Asterisk and a routing algorithm to pick the least-cost route for the phone call, be it another ooma (free), a regional carrier, or the best national carrier rate of the day. Route processing is happening at the device--not the core--so there's no need for big iron and expensive solutions."

http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/ooma-co ... 2009-03-19

My Ooma service is consistently excellent. I am serviced by Ooma's carrier XO. Does this mean XO's least expensive routing is not only acceptable but always good?
#75338 by leiliamyr
Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:34 pm
I don't know what kind of network you're running thats giving your ooma trouble, but I can say with a modest amount of certainty that whatever your specific trouble is, its probably not the ooma's fault, and its probably not local (barring a router misconfiguration or some such).

My setup is as follows: Modem -> Firewall -> Router -> Router -> Ooma.

My ooma exists on a network right smack in the middle of a xenserver cluster that eats gobs of local traffic. When I say gobs of traffic, I measure in multiple terabytes in an hour. Sure, not all of that traffic exits the firewall, but with a LAN all but saturated with all manner of traffic on 10 vlans and 3 subnets, and a crappy comca$t internet connection for a WAN, I get moderately spectacular service. I expected all sorts of crap like dropped calls and the like simply because of the network congestion. With only the tiniest bit of QoS configuration on the cisco routers I use it (ooma) just plain old works great (tm).

I've been using ooma actively for about 2 years now. I've also got a fairly hostile network. Just figured I'd drop in my two cents saying that ooma has proven itself in an extremely harsh environment.
#75386 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:37 pm
smarsh99 wrote:DrElectron, thanks for your confirmation.

I've since returned my ooma telo device and I'm giving phone.com a try.

Let us know how the voice quality is (without changing anything on your internet).
BTW, the only thing DrElectron confirmed is that he is having problems making Ooma work due to whatever reason.