This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75068 by danlisman
Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:34 pm
onoccasion wrote:
Bobby B wrote:2/8/2011: Ooma will be performing network upgrades at night over the next few weeks. You may see your device lose connection briefly, but it will automatically reconnect within a few minutes. If you lose Ooma service for more than 15 minutes, reboot your device or contact our customer care team.

I saw the above posted in the Ooma Status & Updates < Ooma Service Status topic by Ooma Moderator Bobby B. I hope this will address some of the connection problems that others and I have experienced. I only noticed it because I saw that the "last post" timestamp on the forum had gone backwards! When I opened the forum, I saw nothing new so I clicked on the Ooma Service Status topic and saw the above info posted there.

Maybe Ooma can do something to fix the timestamp on this Ooma Service Status topic so it will show a new time stamp when it gets updated! That would be helpful.

etc...

My first impression of the phrase "performing network upgrades" makes me think of network hardware, but I am not sure that that is what he means. Ooma is pushing out a new Telo 43368 release of firmware (but I have not received yet).
Can anyone confirm whether or not Ooma is upgrading their network hardware in addition to Telo 43368 firmware??
Thanks
Dan
#75670 by teddmf
Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:38 am
I am a new customer in NH with a new 603-965-xxxx number and seeing the same problem. I believe system update message refers to the telo firmware update 43368 that my box has received. Yet the problem is NOT fixed by this update on my new (refurbished) Telo unit still. I have contacted the ooma support team and I am waiting for a response. I will try the *99 option since that seems to be the workaround that does work. Hope Ooma can get the network/carrier issues resolved soon or I may have to go back to Vonage reluctantly. I never had any issues like this with Vonage and my Comcast internet service.
#76500 by erikhord
Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:01 pm
Just tried the *99 fix/work around and it worked with an asterisk. The call to my neighbor that would always ring, then pause with dead air for several seconds before we could hear each other, now went through as expected BUT she said that she hears an echo that she's never heard on her end intermittently???? Strange and annoying. Please dear G somebody fix this, most of my daily calls are local and Ooma doesn't work locally in an acceptable way, VERY FRUSTRATING!
#76520 by EA PA
Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:20 pm
I am a *xx expert by now - Ive tried it all - glad I finally called one right for once - glad to help and good luck
#76537 by onoccasion
Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:44 pm
My local calling works most of the time, but still not as reliable as my former landline. It seems better in the last week or two. My wife and I did decide that the Ooma service was "good enough," though, and we ditched our landline as of this past Monday.

What does *98 do? I know *99 selects a different codec, intended for faxing (thus the echo heard on a voice call), but I haven't seen mention of *98 before.
#76539 by EA PA
Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:33 pm
onoccasion wrote:My local calling works most of the time, but still not as reliable as my former landline. It seems better in the last week or two. My wife and I did decide that the Ooma service was "good enough," though, and we ditched our landline as of this past Monday.

What does *98 do? I know *99 selects a different codec, intended for faxing (thus the echo heard on a voice call), but I haven't seen mention of *98 before.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10681&hilit=list+of+%2A&start=0#p75455
#78100 by mrbill16
Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:56 pm
The problem apparently is still active. I'm also a new Ooma customer in the (603) 856-xxxx area. If I call certain local numbers I get several rings and then silence. If I call a Vonage customer I get 2 rings and a delay for 5 seconds and then I can hear the called party. They can hear me after the 2 rings. Prefacing the outgoing number with *98 seems to make everything right, but this is NOT something the warden will accept.

I've sent in a trouble report to support and am awaiting a response. What I'd like to see is Ooma acknowledging the issue. This would keep me in the family, but ignoring the problem will make me leave. I still have 20 days to return the box and get my money back.
#78102 by EA PA
Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:29 pm
mrbill16 wrote:The problem apparently is still active. I'm also a new Ooma customer in the (603) 856-xxxx area. If I call certain local numbers I get several rings and then silence. If I call a Vonage customer I get 2 rings and a delay for 5 seconds and then I can hear the called party. They can hear me after the 2 rings. Prefacing the outgoing number with *98 seems to make everything right, but this is NOT something the warden will accept.

I've sent in a trouble report to support and am awaiting a response. What I'd like to see is Ooma acknowledging the issue. This would keep me in the family, but ignoring the problem will make me leave. I still have 20 days to return the box and get my money back.

Warden! hysterical - LOL. My "warden" gave up on OOMA after a few months - she has no tolerance for any phone issues with her business. The delay to connect is still an issue for me, only its also applicable to cell phones with me. Ill keep trying a few times per month to see if the issue improves